Author Topic: Trivia and other Tidbits  (Read 2737 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Trivia and other Tidbits
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:22:06 pm »
What are some interesting little things you've noticed about the games that don't necessarily warrant their own topic?

The player characters of Chrono Trigger match up to the color wheel by hair color except for Robo.

Characters who fall under the "cool" color scheme (Lucca, Frog, Magus) tended to have darker backstories than the characters under the "warm" color scheme (Crono, Marle, Ayla). Robo more or less falls in the middle, although he comes from a line of genocidal robots, he's a silly metal man with a Rick Astley themesong.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Trivia and other Tidbits
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:37:57 pm »
I don't really see Marle as orange (more dirty blonde), but I suppose its the closest to it. The color thing I think I've heard before (though possibly from you, idk)...To be fair about the rest, we don't get to see anything about Crono and Ayla is a very in-the-moment kind of character...

Just as a head's up, this topic shouldn't turn into a ask a question, give an answer type of trivia thread.

Now do the hair color scheme for the CC cast! :lol:

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:21:07 pm »
Marle is described as a blonde half of the time and a red head the other half, I figure it's easiest to combine them... she has plenty of the typical personality traits of both, in any case.

...Don't tempt me.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:09:36 pm »
Now do the hair color scheme for the CC cast! :lol:

Haha, that's mean, V.

BTW, why is Lucca's purple considered a "cool" color. It seems to have more red than blue in the mix.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:41 pm »
Ooh! Great topic premise. Here's some trivia off the top of my head:

1. CT is that in the original English translation, 12,000 B.C. is called the "Dark Ages," which wasn't in the original Japanese. I think this was a nice touch: It doesn't only refer to the Earthbound Ones or to the ice age; it refers to the Enlightened Ones' not-so-enlightenedness, implying decadence and repression...the seeds of contamination which ultimate destroyed the floating kingdom.

2. Crono is the only "ordinary" male playable character. All three playable females are regular human beings, but Frog is a Frog, Robo is a robot, and Magus seems to have had more plastic surgery than a movie star. (Honestly, I wouldn't even have called Robo a "male" until they made it painfully obvious by pairing him off with a pink robot who wears a ribbon.)

3. Crono's theme and "Corridors of Time" are structurally very similar to one another, yet I've never seen anyone else point it out. Indeed, many songs within CT are structural or thematic cousins, such as "Ocean Palace," "Manoria Cathedral," and "Battle with Magus" in one group; "Guardia Millennial Fair" and "First Festival of Stars" in another; and numerous songs relating to Crono's theme. Across the games, "The Frozen Flame" is related to "Ocean Palace," as is "Ancient Dragon's Fort" (less obviously), while of course Schala's theme more famously makes a brief but unmistakable appearance in "Life - Faraway Promise."

4. There is no "child" sprite for the average citizens of the Kingdom of Zeal--the only place in the game where this is true.

5. Gato's theme shows up as a battle sound effect in combat against monsters who bear his likeness.

6. The regal color scheme of the Kingdom of Zeal is orange and violet. Queen Zeal, Dalton, and two of the Gurus were all depicted in the official artwork to wear these colors. Gaspar was depicted in his End of Time garb in the official artwork, so we never got to see his Guru attire. In the sprites, there is far less consistency--probably an oversight by the sprite artists. (See: General Leo.) Additionally, Schala and Janus wore a softer shade of violet, and no orange, perhaps indicating their regal status but also their lack of high office. (That's speculation on my part.)

7. I'm not the first one to point this out, but I always get a kick out of it: Belthasar, the Guru of Reason, ended up going insane. Melchior, the Guru of Life, designed the Mammon Machine and later built weapons for a living. And Gaspar, the Guru of Time, wound up thrown outside of time altogether.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:04:26 pm »
Yeah, I like that last one, but I think it sort of makes sense...To know reason and order one should know insanity and chaos...To know life one should know death...To know time...uh...one should...hang out with Spekkio...? >_>

The hair color of CC thing was mostly a joke, but only because then it would spurn that whole stupid, "Is CC Glenn's hair green?" thing. :lol:

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »
I nver would have put any of this together.  Maybe some of the music stuff...I noticed some themes in a remix of the Manoria Cathedral jam.  But that would be it.  I like all of them, though, especially the Gurus and the children of Zeal, or the lack of them.  Maybe Zeal was lucky it fell, or else there'd be no more children?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 09:50:43 pm »
Maybe they didn't need children, they born as adult. >_>

In fact, except the Zeal royal family, all Zealian were Cyborgs.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:21:04 pm »
In fact, except the Zeal royal family, all Zealian were Cyborgs.

Is that actually true, or are you just screwing with us?

BTW, maybe the Enlightened Ones were sterile. After all, they didn't need to preserve their progeny if they were going to become immortal.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:35:55 pm »
Yeah, it is not true.
Maybe the buildings Crono visited didn't contain children, they don't look like residential area.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:27:11 pm by utunnels »

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:25:17 pm »
- Janus is the only male in Zeal with blue hair. There was a blue haired Zealian sprite designed, but it wasn't used in the game. The Gurus have white hair, so we can't tell for sure with them.

- A sprite of Leene can be found in a doorway in Zeal Palace when you remove layers. I can't recall at the moment if it's near the entrance of the Mammon Machine room or Zeal's throne room.

- Ayla found Kino as a baby and raised him. Her in-design age was 21, but she should be older since Kino resembles a teenager at least.

- Mamo (Kilwala) was voiced by Mayumi Tanaka in the OVA, who also voices Krillin of DBZ and Luffy of One Piece. Both anime have many similarities and tie-ins with Chrono Trigger beyond this.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:28:01 pm by maggiekarp »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 01:37:54 am »
1) Magus' three generals, Ozzie, Slash, and Flea, are named after famous musicians:

a) Ozzy Osbourne, former lead singer for Black Sabbath
b) Slash, guitarist for Guns n' Roses and Velvet Revolver
c) Flea, bassist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2) The Japanese dialog of the game had a much better explanation of the Planet's involvement:

a) The Reptites worshiped the Planet, the "Entity"
b) the characters talk about the Planet
c) the last chapter was not called "The Final Battle", but "At The Edge of our Planet's Dream".

This is why CC had Planet references all over the place that made sense with the original Japanese dialog.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 02:51:24 am »
Those are fairly well-known, GenesisOne...Maybe we should limit this to stuff that you can't read in the Compendium Encyclopedia...?

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 05:09:54 am »
I don't know this is true or not, but I take this from a Youtube comment.

fun fact: Rick Astleys Birthday is February 6th.
Chrono Trigger DS released at 6th of February '09.

Robo Roll'd anyone??

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 06:43:43 am »
This is a very simple trivia but maybe some people didn't noticed it:

Belthasar designed both the Blackbird and the Sylbird.