Author Topic: Trivia and other Tidbits  (Read 2742 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivia and other Tidbits
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 12:04:51 am »
As with most myths, three is a very common number in CT. Three mystic knights, Three party members at a time, Three gurus, Three in the Zeal family, Go around the room Three times, Find Piette in the lineup of Three identical knights. Six explorable destinations in time (not counting 1999AD) with Three in the past, and Three in the Future (compared to the beginning of the game). Six robots beat up Robo (Three each in two rows.) Need I go on? There were three Gates when you first showed up at the End of Time. You "collect" six more. Most bosses are a max of three things to hit, sometimes one, but rarely two, and never four or more.

Not really trivia, but definitely a tidbit.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 12:07:55 am »
Three's supposed to be a rather significant number in Japan, I think.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 12:10:13 am »
Three's supposed to be a rather significant number in Japan, I think.

Isn't it considered bad luck in the same sense that 13 is in the west?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 12:13:19 am »
Either 3 or 4 was considered bad luck because it sounds similar to the Japnese word for death, but I don't remember which one. But Japanese culture isn't the only one to have threes everywhere. The only big one I can think of in western culture is the holy trinity in christianity.

Anyway, about the bosses: The Sun of Son has six parts total, I think, so that's the one exception to your "never four or more" rule.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 12:23:09 am »
444 is bad luck for Japanese. Like 666 for Christians, ha!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:38 am »
Anyway, about the bosses: The Sun of Son has six parts total, I think, so that's the one exception to your "never four or more" rule.

I think he refers to different types. Sure, the Son of Sun boss battle has six different targets, and that is also the limit of how many enemies can be present in a single battle, but there are only two different types, the SoS itself and it's surrounding flames. The limit is three.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:22:46 am by Acacia Sgt »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:35 am »
Either 3 or 4 was considered bad luck because it sounds similar to the Japnese word for death, but I don't remember which one. But Japanese culture isn't the only one to have threes everywhere. The only big one I can think of in western culture is the holy trinity in christianity.

4 sounds similar to "death" in both Chinese and Japanese.
About 3, not sure, some think it is bad but some think it is good.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 01:24:18 am »
The figure on the stained glass window in Guardia's courtroom closely resembles the Chancellor from 600 A.D.(sprite only), who probably set up the law system after the first Yakra was defeated.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 05:34:31 pm »
Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering if anyone knew what song if any the beginning of the Undersea Palace track for The Brink of Time CD is covering/remixing.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:06 pm »
Are you talking about the bassline at the beginning?  I just assumed the bassist was groovin' until the whole jam kicked in.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 10:04:27 am »
I dont know if this has been picked up on, but by saving Leene in 600 A.D, Crono and pals actually forced the chancellor to set up the whole court system and eventually led to Crono being locked up. Thats kinda ironic, because that would mean that Crono being a Hero in 600 A.D made him a criminal in 1000 A.D!!!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 01:51:27 pm »
Well, yeah, the Chancellor in 600AD makes mention that they should set something up...idk how much that's trivia...I think it would have been set up anyway though since in the original timeline Leene (and presumably the real Chancellor) still would have been saved...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2009, 03:45:43 am »
Nah, they set up the court system cause the current system didn't work. If Marle hadn't shown up the system in place would have worked just fine for a longer time, and they wouldn't have changed it. Crono, Lucca, and the self-exiled Frog saving Leene (where the Guardian soldiers couldn't) displayed their inadequacy. It's not ironic that Crono ends up in jail, just unfortunate. What's ironic is that they changed "the system" to make sure it wouldn't happen again and the changes end up not only being useless toward the original goal, but also make it easy for the same situation to happen again (Chancellor being replaced by Yakra, that is).

And to quote Bender from the last actual episode of Futurama:

"That! Is! Irony~!"