Author Topic: Latest Chrono scam  (Read 940 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Latest Chrono scam
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:37:13 pm »
In case you hear anything about a new Chrono game being announced at this year's TGS in an Edge Magazine interview, it's total bunk. For posterity, I'll record the text of the supposed interview here before it's erased from GameFAQs on grounds of trolling:

Quote from: Mr Funny Man
From the latest issue:

EDGE: E3 and GC have come and gone and we're antsy to find out what we can at this year's TGS which is just around the corner! Until then though, we're here with Square-Enix's press rep, Mr. Date Masamune. How's it going, Mr. Masamune?

Masamune: *laughs* Its great, guys. I'm really excited for TGS myself because we have some great announcements in store for the world. I believe the word for it in the gaming press is "megaton"? We will have plenty of megatons.

EDGE: So lets get this thing rolling right away. What can we expect? Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, a new IP? Maybe even.. something about Chrono?

Masamune: *laughs* Ah yes, the Chrono series is a fan favorite. All I can say at this moment is that Chrono fans will be pleased this TGS. As will fans of Cloud and his friends. I'm sad to say that no new Kingdom Hearts titles will be formally announced at TGS, but the PSP title has hardly had any exposure so far, so expect a full press boom. XIII and Versus XIII will of course be present as well. Except gameplay of the latter.

EDGE: So how about a new IP?

Masamune: Well you see, Square-Enix will be publishing Modern Warfare 2 in Japan and so that too will be a focus at our booth.

EDGE: But that's not really a new IP. What can you tell us about Square's original ventures?

Masamune: The focus of our TGS presentation this year will be on renewing classic series, so I'm sure our core fan-base is in for a treat!

EDGE: I'd just like to confirm that no new IPs will be revealed at TGS.

Masamune: *sigh* No, we will not have any new IPs... [Mr. Masamune makes a quick cell-phone call in Japanese. As the call ends, he smiles a bit.] We'll have some surprises in store, actually.

EDGE: That's just swell. So what exactly can you tell us at this moment?

Masamune: Well yes, I'd like to leave you with more than just a few teasers. *smiles* Square-Enix has been gaining extensive experience as far as online gameplay has been concerned. We've been through Final Fantasy XI, Before Crisis, and even Dirge of Cerberus through our Play Online model. We now have the upcoming Final Fantasy XIV. However, there is one new venture that I am now finally at liberty to speak about in some capacity. Full details will be available at TGS.

EDGE: And...?

Masamune: [He simply stares at us for a few seconds, with sweat trickling down his brow. Suddenly he flashes us a wide grin.]

EDGE: Are you alright, Mr. Masamune?

Masamune: [He's talking through his gritted smile.] I'm perfectly fine, guys. Anyways what I wanted to talk about was our new MMORPG, World of Mana Online, exclusively for the DSi. The first, in fact, DSi-only retail game. It'll have [he begins to froth at the mouth] 8 playable races, over 20 playable classes, over 100 professions, and 16 different deities to worship, including the mana spirits and god beasts. Famous characters from past games will show up as NPCs, like [he begins to breathe heavily and it sounds as if fluids are beginning to fill his lungs; my assistant begins dialing 911] Fffllaagmie, Thangghhaatos, the... cannongh gghhhshkggguy

EDGE: Hold on we'll get you help!

Masamune: [He begins to spontaneously combust]

EDGE: This interview will have to conclude next issue once Square sends us a replacement representative. Stay tuned.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-51136601

As W_Mark_Felt pointed out at GameFAQs, the person supposedly being interviewed died four hundred years ago.

Would've been more entertaining if whoever fabricated this wrote, He beginth to thpontaneouthly combutht.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:40:29 pm by FaustWolf »

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Chrono scam
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
Yes, I'd figure that this would be a whole bunch of "bunk" as you called it.

It's a shame, too.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:47:58 pm »
I was wondering a bit about this.

And as part of the fakeness, look at the "scan" the person (Glenn_Redgrave) provided.
http://img42.imageshack.us/i/scan1.jpg/

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/scan2ist.jpg/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:13:48 pm by Vehek »

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:51:24 pm »
so this guy, if he ever wanted to work for a gaming magazine, just lost all chances, with his fail-report.  It failed at even looking realistic.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:52:38 pm »
uh... first why do they continue to toy with us? second, could they have even made it more realistic by having the person be someone who, you know, isn't dead?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:08:16 pm »
That scan's hilarious, thanks. I lost it in the original thread I think it was posted in, which can be found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=213&topic=51136373

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:33:04 pm »
Fffllaagmie, Thangghhaatos, the... cannongh gghhhshkggguy

EDGE: Hold on we'll get you help!

Masamune: [He begins to spontaneously combust]

This killed me.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 06:58:05 pm »
Dickish as it is, that was kinda funny. It wasn't so much a giant middle finger to the Chrono community as a fleshy ass mooning us in good fun.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 12:00:10 am »
I don't see the dickish or rude behavior? It was incredibly obvious it was a joke and any one who believes it to be real deserves to be let down. I love this article myself.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 12:12:24 am »
Yeah, it was pretty funny in hindsight. But I still find it just slightly cruel, because I think the C&D raised real hope for a sequel or maybe a Chrono Cross remake in some corners.

What's odd about the joke is that it seemed to portray Square Enix pretty accurately except the mention of a new Chrono game. I don't think we'd be surprised if the rest of what's in there actually came true this TGS.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 01:05:06 am »

On the other hand, wouldn't it be awesome if the idea for a Chrono TCG game were made in some form and released online (like a Flash Animation of some sort)? I mean, it would be the best backfire to their little journalistic prank that any of us could pull off.

I think it's worth a shot, and it would give them a taste of their own medicine.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 01:58:17 am »
It's dickish in that it's stupid & unoriginal (the Chrono series practically deals with this annually on April Fools). The time that went into making this could have went towards something positive for the community or perhaps towards a little self-contained STFU time that the person sorely lacks.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 11:35:41 am »
That interview actually ended up being halfway humorous, hahaha... Too bad it was nothing but a tease and a joke...

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 09:32:09 pm »
Sounds like it characterized Square reps pretty well...?

Thanks also for the link to the scan, which was epic, and totally legit.  I cannot stress the epicness and legitimacy enough.  :?

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:23:46 am »

"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Detective William "Bunk" Moreland