Author Topic: Square Enix Sued for Unfair Business Practices, Unjust Enrichment  (Read 6424 times)

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
Re: Square Enix Sued for Unfair Business Practices, Unjust Enrichment
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:58 am »
Isn't it also human nature to pursue perfection? I'm pretty sure revenge makes us imperfect.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:09 am »
Isn't it also human nature to pursue perfection?

Only if you're Gendo Ikari.

But then again, I'm extremely pessimistic about mankind's nature, so don't mind my grumblings on the matter.

Revenge makes it seem childish, as does calling this Square Enix's comeuppance or just desserts, I'll agree. But screw it, if they can hold on to their paranoia regarding fan made derivative works, then I can hold on to my silent glee at watching something bad happen, even if its this small, to them.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 12:56:32 am »
Isn't it also human nature to pursue perfection?

What we want to pursue is individual, i.e. you might pursue a carrier as a scientist while I pursue a job as a musician. It is human nature to want. If someone wants to pursue prefection, they will. But then there are people that don't care for it, so they won't pursue it.

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 02:34:21 am »
Well, I for one look forward to seeing if this goes anywhere. I discovered about this before it was even mentioned here, through an online bud who told me that he's one of the folks that got screwed.  :shock:

Revenge is nasty, 'nuff said. But there's no harm in the joy of karmic backlash on a bully. I'm slightly hoping that S-E will lose this lawsuit, so the ripped-off customers can get some semblance of justice.

Hey, for all we know this really could effect our community somehow... might bring up other unfair business practices that S-E's conducted, like those C&D's be brought to light as an odd twisting of the law. I've often wondered if they do that to make us stop loving CT/CC so we'd get more into FF - has anyone ever thought of such a bizarre tactic being a possibility? Certainly wouldn't put it past them, since they've already shown that they care more for FF games than any other series they're in charge of.

So, enough bickering amongst ourselves and whatnot - let's see if the lawsuit happens & see its results...

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2009, 04:26:44 am »
I for one know this to be true, I cancelled my ff11 account for 2 months and they still charged me for those 2 months...I dont know what proof this kid is gonna show but I sure hope at least some investigation is done on the subject.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 07:01:57 am »
I wish SE would just disappear...

FFXI on the 360 just fucking blows.

1. You have to pay for TWO accounts (XBOX and SE)

2. You have to play for months YEARS to get the achievements (Level 75 in all jobs, people who've played understand how almost impossible that is)

The point of number 2 is that Microsoft's Achievement Policy states that an XBOX 360 game must have at least 1000 points and that 1000 points cannot require extra content/more money to be achieved. What does that mean? You can't have an achievement that requires you to download and use a map/gun/etc. to earn it, you can download DLC to earn it, but you also must be able to earn the achievement WITHOUT it. The extra points afterwords (up to 750 now) are DLC only, but that's not what we're talking about.

FFXI VIOLATES this with number 1, on top of paying Microsoft's membership fee, you must pay SE's fee as well. SE's fee violates the policy since it is an extra fee that is required to earn all the achievements.

I wonder if I could sue with that, hmm...

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2009, 09:23:42 pm »
Now this just makes me happy. :D

Now if only there was a way for game companies to make money without alienating the fanbase. But until that day comes...

It's called karma, Sqeenix. If you're gonna keep acting like pricks, then you'd better get used to it. :P

And that's enough for me.

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2009, 03:52:02 pm »
I'm 100% sure you can have a Silver Live account and still play FFXI.
Here

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2009, 04:09:26 pm »
I'm 100% sure you can have a Silver Live account and still play FFXI.
Here

Still violates the policy with their membership.

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2009, 05:23:44 pm »
The expansions don't count as DLC. No DLC to see here.
The total possible gamerpoints  from FFXI is 1250.  The original 1000 can be earned with the 1st game released for the 360 which included all expansions to date.
The additional 250 is from Wings of the Goddess. Achievements.

New policy states you can add 250 with an expansion or dlc Here
That was back in '07.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »
The expansions don't count as DLC. No DLC to see here.
The total possible gamerpoints  from FFXI is 1250.  The original 1000 can be earned with the 1st game released for the 360 which included all expansions to date.
The additional 250 is from Wings of the Goddess. Achievements.

New policy states you can add 250 with an expansion or dlc Here
That was back in '07.

No, you see, you're paying them extra via their membership. It doesn't matter if it's not DLC, you can't get the achievements without paying them to play the game.

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2009, 09:38:49 pm »
Isn't that the point of 90% of MMO's?  Microsoft still has to OK all 360 games.  So it is really a moot point.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2009, 12:51:25 am »
Really, I kinda want square to win. The reason being, What will happen to them? What are the repercussions of this law suit? Delay of XIII? Delay of XIV? Nothing but FF now? I'm sure it won't be too big of a blow, but really this could be a major blow to their rep in the least. Also this will lie on the judge. You know Red Bull's Slogan is no longer it gives you wings because someone sued false advertising? SE may just lose.

Some people are just plain stupid... More likely SE will make a "terms of usage" form stating that you ;;may;; be charged extra, and claim that it was present at the time of the release of FFXI.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2009, 08:52:02 pm »
No, you see, you're paying them extra via their membership. It doesn't matter if it's not DLC, you can't get the achievements without paying them to play the game.

Even if there is no exemption for MMOs, paying the monthly fee is part of the cost to play the game. There is no game you can get achievements for without paying to play it. Most of them you just pay up front.

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2009, 09:10:32 pm »

Even if there is no exemption for MMOs, paying the monthly fee is part of the cost to play the game. There is no game you can get achievements for without paying to play it. Most of them you just pay up front.

QFT.  That is a great way to look at it.  I didn't even think of it like that.