Author Topic: Square Enix Sued for Unfair Business Practices, Unjust Enrichment  (Read 6421 times)

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
Re: Square Enix Sued for Unfair Business Practices, Unjust Enrichment
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 03:43:37 am »
Really, I kinda want square to win. The reason being, What will happen to them? What are the repercussions of this law suit? Delay of XIII? Delay of XIV? Nothing but FF now? I'm sure it won't be too big of a blow, but really this could be a major blow to their rep in the least. Also this will lie on the judge. You know Red Bull's Slogan is no longer it gives you wings because someone sued false advertising? SE may just lose.

It is scary, because I just drink a tin of Red Bull....... WTF??

I think the chance of win for SE depend on whether the lawsuit brought up was a BS or not. Among the post in this thread, only 1 person prove the lawsuit is real *'point at Celdine's post* The chance for win is slim if it proved not BS.

I know not for the repercussion or consequences for such victory on the side of the lawsuit bringer to SE, but rest assured that any bad reputation they take responsible with will gradually fade away eventually and they become themselves, a money-grubbing company as usual  :|

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 05:19:35 am »
The one thing I don't really like about this is the whole "Avenge CE!" attitude that is coming from here...

I mean, it's not justice, because this group gets nothing out of it and is unrelated.

And vengance, revenge, etc, is not always a good mindset.  I mean, its kindof like a double standard: they shouldn't be able to do it to us, but WE should totally do it to them!

HOWEVER I do support the idea of it being used as a mechanism of justice for the FF online people.  I mean, as long as the FF online people get their cut.  I don't like the idea of one guy getting it all.

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 07:59:06 am »
It's a class-action lawsuit, IAmSerge; no one person will be receiving the whole sum. If they win the trial, the money will be split amongst all the plaintiffs. Also, I think most people here aren't reacting in a way that would indicate they think this is justice for CE; just having some schadenfreude. :P SE doesn't have a good reputation with it's fans for numerous reasons, most of which extend way past the realm of what happened with CE.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:16:47 am by Zelbess »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 09:37:19 am »
I mean, it's not justice, because this group gets nothing out of it and is unrelated.

Sure we get something out of it. That nice feeling in the pit of our stomachs about someone getting their comeuppance.

And vengance, revenge, etc, is not always a good mindset.  I mean, its kindof like a double standard: they shouldn't be able to do it to us, but WE should totally do it to them!

We're happy because they did it first and someone else is doing it to them.

Also, I think most people here aren't reacting in a way that would indicate they think this is justice for CE; just having some schadenfreude. :P SE doesn't have a good reputation with it's fans for numerous reasons, most of which extend way past the realm of what happened with CE.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jacques Strappe

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 11:31:41 am »
As punishment they should be forced to complete Chrono Resurrection on Wii and DS and give it away for free!

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 01:33:23 pm »
With FF14 SE's just prying open their buttholes begging us to stick it in there... I think FF11 in general was pretty lame. What'll be different about FF14?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:15 pm »
To be honest, I thought it was "SE sued someone" for a second when I saw that title.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 12:45:55 am »
Anybody who doesn't agree with this lawsuit isn't really a Chrono Trigger fan on the inside and thus is a hypocrite to me.

I am glad the fans are standing up to those friggin Basterds who tried to take away our instrests.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 02:01:23 am »
Anybody who doesn't agree with this lawsuit isn't really a Chrono Trigger fan on the inside and thus is a hypocrite to me.

I am glad the fans are standing up to those friggin Basterds who tried to take away our instrests.

There is no logic there. You really are just saying this is revenge. Who knows maybe it's dark serge trying to regain our respect  :lol:. Tha'd be funny. No seriously we shouldn't care if the win. But I do agree they deserve this. They have abused the law too much, and this is karma. But us supporting them out of anger is no better.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 01:18:20 pm »
What do you mean, agree with this lawsuit, Triforce? Most of us don't know what this lawsuit is about--unfair business practices and unjust enrichment (which is a really awkwardly-worded concept) are meaningless to us. We as Chrono fans have nothing to gain or lose from this lawsuit, but perhaps as people with a vested interest in SE (whether it's a positive interest or a negative interest) we do have a stake in this case. But feeling that this lawsuit is impertinent doesn't make us a hypocrite. Claiming it's impertinent and then griping about SE winning may make us hypocrites.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »
Mav, Unfair Business Practices means that they screwed their customers. More specifically, it means they lied or deceived their customers to get money from them.

Unjust Enrichment is more or less what it sounds like; they enriched themselves in an unjust way, i.e., stealing, insurance fraud, screwing their customers, etc.

These probably aren't the most specific definitions, but the true "legal" definitions vary from state to state and country to country, plus they can be about 300 pages long each.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2009, 04:02:22 pm »
Right, those definitions are accurate, but have we, as Chrono fans, been a victim of unfair business practices? Some contend that the high price of their games is unfair, others contend that the C&D is an example of an unfair business practice. In my opinion, we haven't been hit with the brunt of their unfair business practices. As for unjust enrichment, isn't that just another example of unfair business practice?

Oh and, when I said we don't know what this is about I meant the specifics of the case, but yeah, I suppose it's not meaningless to all of us...just some of us.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2009, 04:50:04 pm »
I think you're stretching it a bit with that. The only real way that prices can be deemed "unfair" is through provable collusion, i.e., if Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft got together and said that they wouldn't charge anything less than $70 for a new game. Since those three companies more or less run the console and handheld industry, it would be Unfair Business Practices and Unjust Enrichment, since there's no alternative.

As for the C&D, well, I've never been a big fan of companies using police-tactics against their fans who create derivative works, but they were within their legal rights.

Here is some info from the EFF:

"Courts have previously found that a use was fair where the use of the copyrighted work was socially beneficial. In particular, U.S. courts have recognized the following fair uses: criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, research and parodies."

So, the only real ROM hacks that would be considered legal are the spoof hacks that we all know and love. There was a link here earlier that led to someone hacking the rom to criticize Square-Enix's crackdown on Crimson Echoes, which was pretty funny and technically legal under this definition.

But enough about that; the point is whether or not Square used Unfair Business Practices in this case.

My understanding is that they used a loophole in the FFXI subscription service to overcharge their customers, which might be deemed illegal unless Square can prove that the wording of the "contract" was not misleading.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 07:18:17 pm »
Just to be clear, I don't really agree with people who considered both the high prices and the C&D unfair business tactics, I just brought 'em up as possible examples as to how this affects the Chrono community (hell, I think they were mentioned in this topic). You're right though--the unjust enrichment in this case isn't about hiking prices, this case probably has to do with undue influence and some failure of consideration.

But tell me, how does this particular case affect the Chrono community at large? Does it at all or are we still holding a grudge against this company?

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 07:29:46 pm »

But tell me, how does this particular case affect the Chrono community at large? Does it at all or are we still holding a grudge against this company?

We're holding a grudge. But we're human, and a bit of schadenfreund from bystanders never hurt anyone.

Besides, its human nature to support the little guy unless the little guy is a complete bastard.

The only way I can see it affecting us(and this is a joke scenario) is if the loss of 5 million dollars cripples Square so badly that they have to release a new game really quickly and really cheaply, thus turning to Crimson Echoes which is 98% with no loss of money to them.

Hehe. Dreaming is fun.