Poll

How did you first learn about Chrono Trigger?

Read about it in a gaming magazine
9 (17.6%)
Read about it on the internet
5 (9.8%)
Heard about it from a friend
16 (31.4%)
Saw it in a store
3 (5.9%)
Other
14 (27.5%)
Don't remember
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: May 07, 2005, 07:47:23 pm

Author Topic: 5/14/05 - How did you first learn about Chrono Trigger?  (Read 7739 times)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
5/14/05 - How did you first learn about Chrono Trigger?
« on: May 07, 2005, 07:47:23 pm »
Vote!

Me, I read about it in Nintendo Power.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 07:52:09 pm »
I got it used for my birthday way long ago in 95-96 around after it came out because my parents/brother knew that I got all hooked on FFVI (then known to me as FFIII, har har...such a kid I was...).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 09:58:02 pm »
Ramsus gave me a list of good SNES RPGs, and I got through BoF and BoFII before coming to Chrono Trigger. This was in early 2002.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 11:57:03 pm »
I read about it in Nintendo Power when they did that two issue spread in their Epic Center portion, giving a walkthrough from the beginning of the game up until the first battle with Magus.  Got hooked, even though I wouldn't get the game for another year, year and a half or so.

Wolfimus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 02:20:09 am »
Being a really late entrant into the world of RPGs, I found about it from a friend, at the same moment finding out that my new favorite game, Chrono Cross, was, in fact, a sequel. I was thrilled, to say the least, as I had just beaten CC and was looking for a new game.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 03:32:07 am »
I found out about it about three years ago at a now-defunct Zelda forum.  Almost all of the prominent residents were CT fanatics, so I decided to give the game a try.  As soon as I saw Lavos pwnx0r the planet, I was hooked like Tyrone Biggums on cocaine.

Crystal Zeal

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 07:43:54 pm »
My brother bought it around when it first came out for SNES.  When I wanted an easy RPG to get into when I was little, he told me to play both that and FFIV.

Ramsus

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 07:50:51 pm »
I rented it back in the mid 90s.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 08:02:53 pm »
Game Magazine and posters. Chrono Trigger: It's about Time.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 12:15:54 am »
Dont remmber.  I think my older brothers friend may have let my brother "borrow" it, but its still in my possesion today.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 02:42:42 am »
A few years ago... 3, to be exact. My one friend kept wanting me to play Super Mario World or whatever it was with him on an emulator, and he brought over this disc with 100 games on it, and loaded them all. I played Mario for a while with him, but never really liked playing it much. One day I got bored and was looking through the game list, saw Chrono Trigger, and thought: 'interesting name, I'll check that out'. On doing so I found out it was an RPG, so I figured I'd not really play it (after all, RPGs are way too hard to figure out what with all their stats info and different weapons and all... well, I did think that at the time, at least.) But what really got me playing it: that you could put in your own name and that it would actually stay in the game! No joke! That was what actually did it for me. I'd never played an RPG before (this was... 3 years ago), so it was all totally new to me. No game had ever seemed as personal as that because I was able to toss in whichever name I felt sounded best. So Crono got my name Dan (I never do that anymore) with an extra space (because of a bloody typing mistake at the beginning, that remained throughout the entire game), Lucca got Robyn (I think one of my little sister's friends was over that day, and her name was Robyn, so I heard it and tossed it in), Marle got Brook (a nice sounding name), Frog got Finwe (after an Elf-lord from the Silmarillion), Robo got Meche (I'm a mechanical engineering student, after all), and by the time I got to Ayla and Magus, I was leaving names the same.
It's odd thought that I'm technically such a newbie to the game. I've written one of the longest fanfictions on ff.net pertaining to the series, engaged on numerous debates regarding it on Chronicles and on this (the pre-eminent Chrono site) on the tiniest and most miniscule points... and all this for a game whose name I did not know 3 years ago!
I still remember getting to the end of the game. It was like coming to the end of a good book, that semi-sad feeling (and the music didn't help!) that you won't be hearing any more about these characters. I really had never thought there were games like that, let alone one that was so old. I'd played Halo and all these games with better graphics by that time, but it instantly became my favorite game (and still is, likely... it shares a spot with CC.)

Deus Chisa

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Ph'nglui mglwnafh Yukari Mayohiga wgah'nagl fthagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 03:32:34 am »
It's quite simple.  I walked in on my cousin Dark Mattering some random enemy.  Later on, I got a cart for myself, and have since run through it nigh a hundred times.  At one point, I had an L7.6 at Lavos and a perfect stat game saved on it at once.  Then they got saved over by some jackass I lent it to, despite my quite clear "don't mess with these."  Oh well, everything is temporal.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 02:33:26 pm »
Finwe?  Bah, you should have named him Fingolfin. :)

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 03:16:26 pm »
I think I wanted to, actually... but would you mind telling me how you can put 'Fingolfin' into the five-letter limit?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 04:49:09 pm »
Good point.