Author Topic: The Rise of Magus  (Read 7041 times)

silentellipsis

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of Magus
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 04:15:11 am »
Are you sure the file is standalone? Downloaded from your site and from that direct link, but both times it gets a "File has stopped working" error whenever I try to open it. Yes, I'm on PC.

Also, the YoYo games plugin crashes when trying to load the game.

It seems most likely that your computer is low on system or graphical memory, then (I know it's a 2D game, but it still uses a respectable amount of memory). Try making sure to close other programs you have open before running it. Also, I've only ever tested it on XP and Vista - I'd be surprised if it didn't work on 2000, but it's possible that if you're using an older version of windows, that could be the cause (I'm running Vista and actually ran into a problem for it on XP - XP had a stricter maximize image size it could parse, so I had to break up some of the tilesets into smaller images).

Anyway, those are my recommendations - the file should definitely work on its own as long as you have enough memory to run it.

*edit* Also, if you get an error message that's a little more descriptive, let me know and I can look into it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:16:55 am by silentellipsis »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:17 am »
It does not close every time I try to close this. This is doing both the yoyo method and from the site. It doesn't seem to freeze while I'm trying to play the actual game, though... I guess it doesn't like vista or something.

I'll let you know what I think of it later.

Edit:

Ok, I'm stupid. It wouldn't close cause I didn't think of pushing escape. It works fine. I just beat Slash. I'm really enjoying it so far. Good work!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:08:08 am by ZaichikArky »

silentellipsis

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 02:23:21 pm »
It does not close every time I try to close this. This is doing both the yoyo method and from the site. It doesn't seem to freeze while I'm trying to play the actual game, though... I guess it doesn't like vista or something.

I'll let you know what I think of it later.

Edit:

Ok, I'm stupid. It wouldn't close cause I didn't think of pushing escape. It works fine. I just beat Slash. I'm really enjoying it so far. Good work!

Yeah, there's even an option in Game Maker to "treat close button as Esc", but for some reason it doesn't seem to work if you have Esc do anything more complicated than immediately closing the game.

And thanks!

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 06:02:32 pm »
Heh...this is pretty cool. I'm in the process of downloading it...

But I have to say...with the C&D and whatnot, the fact that a fangame was STILL RELEASED on this site makes me happy. Maybe I can't play the big one, but this looks fun, too.

silentellipsis

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 07:34:11 pm »
I want to thank ZeaLitY for mentioning my game in his mega-update (and posting it in the fan works section). I was pretty shocked when I saw the news, and that it coincided so closely with my game's completion, so it's good to see that the Compendium is still going strong.

Also, I appreciate all feedback on the game, so leave any comments here and I'll see them.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 09:45:33 pm »
I've got another gig of RAM, and the game still doesn't work. When I tried the instantplay on YoYo, the app crashed and I got an error that said the game might be corrupted. Same with when I downloaded the file and tried to load from the desktop. Can you reupload the file?

EDIT: Scratch that, it works on the other computer. Not sure why, as it didn't yesterday...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:58:12 pm by Zephira »

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 10:19:26 pm »
I got stuck on "singing mountain"... the part of it where there is an UBER large gap from there to the other side and if you fall you land on the water spell.  Yes, I got the tripple jump, too.

silentellipsis

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 11:38:59 pm »
I've got another gig of RAM, and the game still doesn't work. When I tried the instantplay on YoYo, the app crashed and I got an error that said the game might be corrupted. Same with when I downloaded the file and tried to load from the desktop. Can you reupload the file?

EDIT: Scratch that, it works on the other computer. Not sure why, as it didn't yesterday...

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's not working on that machine, but I ran some tests in compatibility mode and it looks like the game will work on Windows 2000, NT, XP, and Vista, but not on 95, 98, or ME, so if you're running one of the latter OS's, that would explain it.

I got stuck on "singing mountain"... the part of it where there is an UBER large gap from there to the other side and if you fall you land on the water spell.  Yes, I got the tripple jump, too.

Try exploring the rest of the level. You might find something that will help you cross that gap...

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 12:04:38 am »
I thought I did explore the rest of the level... >.>