Author Topic: Creation of Chronopolis after the Time Crash  (Read 2029 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Creation of Chronopolis after the Time Crash
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:01:08 pm »
After the Time Crash (Keystone T-2), FATE wants to avoid disrupting the timeline in case that would prevent the creation of Chronopolis in the future:

Quote from: Ghost in Chronopolis
   FATE has been manipulating the
   world of El Nido, in order to
   avoid any major change to the
   history it knows.
   If an event on El Nido
   influences the main continent,
   the year 2400, in which FATE
   exists, would change.
   This paradox could potentially
   lead to great disaster...

According to our theories, Chronopolis didn't exactly time travel; its space-time coordinates just slipped to the past. But then how can Chronopolis be built if its space-time coordinates replace those of its past counterpart? i.e. how can Keystone T-2 Belthasar build Chronopolis if the Time-Crashed Chronopolis already occupies the physical location that he wants to use?

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:45:31 pm by Chrono'99 »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Creation of Chronopolis after the Time Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:50 pm »
Two possibilities that I see:

1) Chronopolis can move. It simply will move out of the way before the new Chronopolis is to be constructed.

2) Geology. Over the next 1000ish years, Chronopolis will sink below the waves, creating curious energy readings that will cause Chronopolis to be built on the same spot, but above the water level.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:57:58 pm »
But wouldn't that be a predestined paradox then, or would is simply be random that Present Chronopolis is founded over Past Chronopolis?

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:05:39 pm »
It seems like a predestined paradox to me, which is why I always just assumed that after the Time Crash Chronopolis was not founded again in the future timeline, despite FATE's logic that she must protect changes to the timeline so that Chronopolis could be founded. I have several reasons for this (all of which assume TTI is an accurate portrayal of time travel in the Chronoverse).

1) The boundary of the Sea of Eden would be protected by TTI. Chronopolis would not need to be founded again after the Time Crash for all of the events of Cross to be preserved.

2) Even if Chronopolis was physically moved into the past (discard boundary theory), FATE would not need to be concerned with the preservation of the timeline because Chronopolis would once again be protected by TTI.

3) FATE does a really shitty job of protecting the timeline from alteration anyways. Not only is contact repeatedly made between the mainland and El Nido (and vice-versa), but Chronopolis' mere presence there completely changes history and the area around which Chronopolis was originally built in the future.

So, I think it is reasonable to conclude that Chronopolis doesn't need to be founded in the future after the Time Crash occurs. I also think it is reasonable to conclude that FATE has nothing to fear about altering the timeline. So either FATE has a) an incomplete view of how time travel works (unlikely considering Belthesar's influence) or b) was specifically programmed by Belthesar to be concerned about the integrity of the timeline for some alternate purpose - perhaps related to his grand master plan? Perhaps Belthesar wanted to minimize major changes to the timeline so that he could limit the number of variables that he had to predict when orchestrating his plan? The more that El Nido was isolated from the rest of the world, the easier it would be for his plan to succeed, after all.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:42:42 am »
But wouldn't that be a predestined paradox then, or would is simply be random that Present Chronopolis is founded over Past Chronopolis?

Meh, one can cut that part out easily enough. Old Chronopolis sinks, new Chronopolis built on top.

The real question is: how would the new Chronopolis find the Frozen Flame and would the old Chronopolis be able to resist the temptation to claim it early.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:52:15 pm »
But if FATE can sink Chronopolis to hide it, why didn't she do it right after the Polis War? It would be the best way to protect the timeline.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:30:28 pm »
The real question is: how would the new Chronopolis find the Frozen Flame and would the old Chronopolis be able to resist the temptation to claim it early.

That's not really a question since Chronopolis, or the boundary that surrounds it, presumably has TTI. Chronopolis wouldn't have to be built again and it wouldn't have to find the Frozen Flame.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 03:26:09 am »
The protocols of Chronopolis could have a final solution mechanism for concealment or self-destruction once future construction is assured.