Author Topic: SUMMER'S CRY ULTRA UPDATE! A lot of stuff plus CE chapters!  (Read 29322 times)

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
Re: SUMMER'S CRY ULTRA UPDATE! A lot of stuff plus CE Chapter 18 & 19!
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 12:00:36 pm »
Actually I think its because everyone used chrono so mch during the original they wanted to flesh the other members arsenal out so now they have better techs and everything .

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
  • Blown along by the wind...
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 12:02:50 pm »
Crono's original techs were cool enough  :lol:

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 12:54:53 pm »
Was wondering that too. Why not use Crono? The most used character was like... Robo? That's like using that dog in Chrono Cross.
It's just wrong.
Aside from moments of forced-character-usage, it's really up to the player to decide who to use. Like Mizaki said, there's no specific main character in CE, so the player could essentially use anyone he wants. And as for why he used Robo so much, Robo's a powerhouse, he had most of the new techs, and he's not unbearably slow. I know if I played through, I'd end up using Frog and Magus more often than necessary.

That's the drawback of watching videos--as opposed to playing the games--you don't call the shots; whoever played/recorded the game does.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:17 pm »
Crono's original techs were cool enough  :lol:

Yes, Chrono was pretty strong in battle, no matter what. Characters who were lacking were the ones that got updated techs.

I wish they gave Marle new techs. And/or gave Lucca more ATK.
Think about it.  Marle gets a lot of shit, but at least she has Haste. That can make or break you in some battles. Lucca's status spell sucks, and would have been perfect for a multi-hammer tech or an automatic weapon or something, some physical and badass tech.

Honestly, how many people have ever used that stupid spell Lucca has in-game? I saw maybe once to see what it did.

By the way, I love that Nirvana X tech. I've been wanting to get a "human Glenn" that learns "Nirvana Strike" ever since that Cyrus cutscene first graced my eyes sometime in 1996, when I really fell in love with the game.

That's the great thing about fans. They know what they want. So a game made by fans is pure gold to other fans. Like me. It's kind of weird to be a fan of a fan. But whatever.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:22:23 pm by Mr Bekkler »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 03:42:51 pm »
New techs are complicated, since a lot of the old techs share graphics or data, I think. Change one, and another will be corrupted. We felt out the safe ones.

SuperSlash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 05:24:52 pm »
I'm curious about something.

I remember FaustWolf talking about how there's a fully functional, new playable character in CE, but as far as I've seen, there isn't one. Have I missed it or is the character coming up or something? Maybe it's just me but I swear I read that, like right after the C&D happened.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:47 pm »
I believe that was supposed to be Schala, but it didn't work or something.

ajmmii

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 05:49:04 pm »
Gaah, we still get a cliffhanger, what is in the fabled chest? If only there was a second less of selling items. :P

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 07:16:38 pm »
Why is Crono barely used in the play through, and why didn't he receive any new techs?
I realize, after watching the video playthrough of the last dungeon where I did use Crono for a bit, that I made a huge miscalculation in hesitating to alter Crono's "classic" tech set. Truth is, Crono's techs just totally suck now in comparison to the other characters. Until Crono gets Confuse and Luminaire, he just can't stand on par with the likes of Frog, Robo, and Ayla, who each had huge strategic advantages over him with their new tech sets in place. In the later videos Crono just gets creamed in every enemy encounter because he just didn't have any big guns to whip out, since I didn't learn Luminaire on the playthrough before switching over to NG+. Eheh. Sorry to do that to the Hero of Time. In practice, the Crono-centric player would have to have relied very heavily on dual and triple techs.

That said, Crono's techs are not only "classic" but as ZeaLitY observed, his tech code is also heavily ingrained into the tech code of other characters, believe it or not. Crono's techs are like the bottom row in the proverbial house of cards. Change one byte, and you've just effed up like five other techs. Nevertheless, if I'd had more time to work on the techs, I probably would have decided to find a way to do something for poor Crono. I was entering the "ideation" phase of an HP steal tech for him before I had to drop everything for Finals, and then of course there was the C&D. It probably would have turned out a bit like *SoulReaver, a tech Magus had in a tech demo video but that didn't make it into CE since it wasn't visually Magus-y.

Was wondering that too. Why not use Crono? The most used character was like... Robo? That's like using that dog in Chrono Cross.
It's just wrong.
Robo's multi-elemental array of techs, his high attack rating, and ass-saving GreenMemory skill outrank Poshul's "DoggieDunnit" any day of the week. Plus, Robo is the only Chrono Trigger character who we know dies in Chrono Cross (we see it happen in realtime), so these videos are his big hurrah.

I remember FaustWolf talking about how there's a fully functional, new playable character in CE, but as far as I've seen, there isn't one. Have I missed it or is the character coming up or something? Maybe it's just me but I swear I read that, like right after the C&D happened.
I'll divulge the fact that the character does not appear in the walkthrough video series because those were recorded prior to the character's planned insertion. All the sprites were finished for the character I think, though I'll leave it up to the CE team's discretion as to how much to reveal beyond that. It would have blown people's minds though, and would have been great cause for excitement I think. The only hint I can give is that CE did not make use of the Eighth Character patch, and would not have in the 100% build.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:18:43 pm by FaustWolf »

neologix

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Gate Sealer
    • View Profile
    • ATOM - Apollolux Tabular Object Management system
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 08:53:45 pm »
crazy stuff. i saw all the videos right after each other and i'm psyched to find out what that chest is too!

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2009, 09:08:05 pm »
I'll divulge the fact that the character does not appear in the walkthrough video series because those were recorded prior to the character's planned insertion. All the sprites were finished for the character I think, though I'll leave it up to the CE team's discretion as to how much to reveal beyond that. It would have blown people's minds though, and would have been great cause for excitement I think. The only hint I can give is that CE did not make use of the Eighth Character patch, and would not have in the 100% build.

Well, if they're not going to finish the game, and no one else is going to mod a Chrono game in the forseeable future, they might as well say who the eighth character is.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2009, 09:49:54 pm »
Not eighth. One of the existing characters would have given way to a new character, and some (actually fairly minor) dialogue changes would have to have been made from the 98% build. And yet, the psychological effect on the Chrono fan would have been huge.

Can you guess who it would have been? Hint: The in-game audio tells it all. There's a sound effect that Agent 12 purposely kept out of all builds out of the expectation that this might have come to fruition (minor dialogue changes being easier to implement in the game code than sound effect changes).

Oooh, this is fun!

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »
I recall JP saying in the commentary that Ayla was meant to die and Schala would take her place... is that it?

I also recall JP saying that for whatever reason that was harder than they thought and scrapped the idea, I am almost sure FaustWolf means someone else but, hey... maybe if others see me guessing they will feel like guessing too and they will get it right =P

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2009, 10:09:54 pm »
I'm pretty sure I know who it is. But, you really finished the sheet? That's awesome. Last I saw of it, it was only half done. Way to go, guys!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2009, 10:23:42 pm »
I have no clue, though I feel like I should. If it's an existing character, with a well-known sound effect...hrm. Not Schala; she doesn't have one, and several people have already guessed her without causing Faust to blink. Toma, Tata, and Spekkio have none.

Norstein Bekkler has a sound effect. Gaspar has a sound effect. Gato has a whole song, and I think there's a sound effect too. Dalton has his burp. Is it one of those four? Is it even a CT character at all?