Author Topic: SUMMER'S CRY ULTRA UPDATE! A lot of stuff plus CE chapters!  (Read 29326 times)

Guts

• Iokan (+1)
  • The Black Swordsman
    • View Profile
Re: SUMMER'S CRY ULTRA UPDATE! A lot of stuff plus CE chapters!
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2009, 06:14:17 am »
Watched all your videos on CT:CE and I must say I'm amazed at how well the story was made. Although I, as well as many others, thought Crono didn't get nearly as much attention as he should of. It doesn't change the fact that this fanwork was amazing and truly deserves an official spot in the Chrono franchise. Glad I got to watch the hard work you guys put into this, and it shows tremendously by a great game.

Good job, I look forward to more of your videos/games/anything you might come up with in the future. I also wonder if S-E watched those videos on Youtube. I sure hope they realise their mistake.  :D

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2009, 08:28:22 am »
Now that the month that could have been is almost officially over, I suggest sharing the YouTube playthrough video playlist with everyone you know who loves RPGs:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E952926C2A6E7039

That way, at least the developer's work will be seen and recognized, and hopefully remembered in place of the C&D, the alpha leak, or the nonsense conspiracy theories.

So truly, if you liked what you saw, show it to everyone.

EDIT: Don't forget to mention that it's over 12 hours long, otherwise they may be in for a surprise.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:31:16 am by Ramsus »

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
  • Blown along by the wind...
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2009, 08:57:55 am »
Re: Arbiters of Time

A cat? Really? XD I wonder how THAT happened...

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2009, 09:46:27 am »
Oh, I see... So Braveheart isn't so ungodly when Glenn doesn't have a max of 999 HP... That makes sense. Nirvana Strike isn't dealing 3000+ damage either. So I guess I'd have to retract my statement about Glenn being broken. Still, it doesn't seem fair that all the others get awesome new techs, yet CML are stuck with their originals... "Ice Pulse" for Marle would have been awesome and made her more bearable as a solo character. Ah well.

But...when you said that we might see new techs in a playable ROM modification soon, did you really mean it...? I thought SE said "Not just CE, no ROM modifications, PERIOD!", so... o_O

Oh, and I loved the alternate endings. I always thought the majority of the endings in CT were dissapointing or "joke endings" -- the only "real" endings were What the Prophet Seeks, Reuinion, Beyond Time (obviously) and (maybe) the developer's ending. (By the way, I'm a bit sad you didn't put in a developer's ending, would you have done that in the completed version? Then again, you do have the developer's room already, so I suppose that's already a bit of a "developer's ending"...) However, in CE, the endings actually had purpose to them and were actual endings. I liked that. They helped flesh out the story, and I loved "Zeality's Dream". XD

Sigh...what a month this could have been! :( Oh well. The Compendium's still alive, and overanalyzing as usual, so...life goes on, I guess. :)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2009, 12:17:51 pm »
But...when you said that we might see new techs in a playable ROM modification soon, did you really mean it...? I thought SE said "Not just CE, no ROM modifications, PERIOD!", so... o_O
Yeah, I said that about the tech demonstration videos way before we got the C&D. All Chrono modding has ceased at the Compendium.

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2009, 12:33:35 pm »
Not a fan of the new equipment names. They don't seem in the spirit of CT, and some of them seem too outlandish and try hardy. Also, armors should've been clearly labelled as such, rather than "Inferus" for example, have "Infernus plate" or mail or vest in it same with helmets.
I disagree. The equip names always felt CT when I looked at them =/.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2009, 12:42:16 pm »
My favorite alternate ending is 'Zeality's Dream'. It is funny, though a cat as an arbiter also made me laugh.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:33 pm »
The synchronized robot dancing made my day. The endings were exceptional: serious enough, while respectably humorous.

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2009, 04:12:00 pm »
My favorite Hidden Endings are Tyranny's Disase and MysticalDreamers.

I always felt bad that you had to destroy the Vanguard, for me it was a really cool thing, and I think that if the Vanguard existed the Fall of Guardia wouldn't have been that devastating, off course that's not true when I saw how it happen, but still... I liked the idea behind the Vanguard, and in this ending, Glenn's demise is so sad, "They... never came..." spoke his last breath.

In the Mystical Dreamers, I really like it because it kindda showed us how they end up in the Bend Of Time, and I really love all those well placed Cross references and foreshadowing, great work guys, I am sad it's all over actually...

I droped a single tear in the ending of CE, me eyes got all watery in the farewell scene, the song was just great there, but the tear didn't drop, it didn't drop when King Zeal spoke his last words either, for some odd reason, the moment that cracked my shell was when Lucca said "My mom expects that I will take over the orphanage some day" ant then Crono and Lucca share a laugh... that just, felt such a real moment for me, and knowing how it ended(the orphanage that it), it just triggered a rush of emotion in my head, also... for some reason, that's when it finally hit me, it's over, CE is over, and that's when the tear broke the integrity and fell.

I am really thankfull for the videos, but I have a mix of convergent feelings, I am happy to see the story, but now I am sad, because after seeing what CE could have been, I just crave the game so much. I will get over it, I know, but for now I am staring at the Darkness Beyond Time, waving my farewell to the Month That Could Have Been...

Guts

• Iokan (+1)
  • The Black Swordsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »
So now that modding is out of the picture, anything in stores for the future FW?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »
So now that modding is out of the picture, anything in stores for the future FW?
The Compendium has other strengths besides its former modding subcommunity, such as theoretical analysis. It seems revision of existing theories and challenging them with well-developed new alternatives will become a greater focus going forward.

Also, now that we've got some bilingual members in the community, I wonder if it isn't time to start planning for one of the Compendium's Great Super Goals -- securing an interview with Masato Kato. But that's ZeaLitY's call ultimately. It seems to me that our bilingual members might be able to get in contact with Chrono Center -- the Japanese hub of Chrono fandom -- and they might be able to conduct the interview themselves, our bilingual members translating.

As for me personally, I'm sure I'll think of something. I still feel I have a lot of unfinished business in the Chrono fan scene, so I'll be around for the foreseeable future. I'm really looking forward to the next annual Dream Splash! for example, and that's practically right around the corner. A nice explosion of free-spirited creativity is sure to get the fan scene in better spirits.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:18:24 pm by FaustWolf »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2009, 07:13:20 pm »
I think the Japanese hub's name is Chrono Center.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2009, 07:18:55 pm »
Total brainfart there, corrected.

ajmmii

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2009, 07:30:27 pm »
Well done guys.  You've inspired me to get a copy of Chrono Cross now. Shame I'll never get to play CE. :picardno

Btw, for the "Temporal Utopia" ending, I almost thought thought the words to this remix would have shown up. Hehe.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2009, 02:10:38 am »
Eh...in all honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the endings. They had nice little tie-ins to Cross, and a few cool pieces of dialog, but...really I can't see myself beating King Zeal 9 more times to get the alternate endings.

Furthermore, they were way too short.

I didn't really get the point of the Lucca and Robo one. It seemed rather extraneous and out of left field.

I realize that these are also gripes I have with the original CT alternate endings. Most of them were repetitive and quite frankly kind of dumb. The canonical ending(s), the "slideshow" ending, the Developer Room ending, the Frog marrying Leene ending and the Frog vs. Magus ending were the only ones that really stuck out out of the original 10.

In CE, the canonical(I use that term lightly, gentlemen) ending, the Frog ending and the Mystic Knights endings were really good. The rest were kinda...iffy. The one about Zeality's dream was pretty awesome too. It reminded me of the slideshow ending from the original CT.

But of course, this is just the kvetching(love that word) of one person. Perhaps its just me. From the rest of the game, my expectations for the endings were extremely high, but they just didn't reach that standard.