Author Topic: Crimson Echoes DVD Idea  (Read 2443 times)

NickyT

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Burn! Bobonga!
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Crimson Echoes DVD Idea
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:22:10 pm »
Hi everyone, I have been literally addicted to the Crimson Echoes Youtube videos, I have been glued to my chair waiting for the updates, and I watch them during work inbetween helpdesk calls, lol!

I had an idea recently to make DVD's out of the Youtube videos, and add subtitles of the annotations and other stuff. Before I did it however, I was wanting to know if this would be a good idea considering the action Squeenix has taken lately? I didn't know if that would be good or not to distribute over the Internet. I won't do it if it will harm the Compendium in any way.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Crimson Echoes DVD Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:27:30 pm »
I think making any profit off CE is quite a dangerous idea. I don't know how the C&D affects distribution, but I have a feeling that we can't do this...as awesome as it is...

NickyT

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Burn! Bobonga!
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:33:10 pm »
Hey thanks for the response. I wouldn't be making profit off of it at all, I was actually going to try to think of a way to offer an .iso image available for download from the Internet.

I have so many ideas going through my head for like menus, music, etc.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:46:49 pm »
It's up to Agent 12 and ZeaLitY to make a call one way or another, but I'd be happy to provide the videos. I'm focusing on getting them processed and upped to Youtube right now, and I might have to revisit them to make them playable on Windows Media Player after that. Looks like the entire collection would weigh in at about 8 Gigs as an estimate. Is that good or bad?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:25:21 pm by FaustWolf »

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 07:01:13 pm »
Oh, I think I misunderstood what you were doing here. This is basically just downloading the videos, right? If SE doesn't have a problem with the videos on Youtube, then why would they have a problem with this?

NickyT

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Burn! Bobonga!
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:16:45 pm »
Considering the length of the playthrough, I would say 8GB is pretty good. And I am stoked! I could possibly rip the vids from YouTube as well, unless the source vids are kickass quality. Thanks for the responses though!

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:18:42 pm »
Oh, I think I misunderstood what you were doing here. This is basically just downloading the videos, right? If SE doesn't have a problem with the videos on Youtube, then why would they have a problem with this?

Because you never know when some jackass will start burning copies and sell them on eBay for profit.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »
Actually, looks like Youtube is starting to make videos available in MP4 format. So you could have CE on the go, in your iPod or PSP! I think?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 07:43:20 pm »
FW, is the download as MP4 option available only to us? I couldn't tell if that was available only to the uploader or not.

--JP

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:04:47 pm »

Because you never know when some jackass will start burning copies and sell them on eBay for profit.
Aye, good point. Someone could, however, still do this with the Youtube videos. It's a lengthier process; you have to rip the videos off Youtube, put 'em on some portable media, and sell that media.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:09:16 pm »
Then again, you can do that with any Youtube Video.

Dammit, why couldn't Square Enix be a subsidary of Nintendo!?

Look at the fucking Mother 3 Strategy guide, gains a profit and Nintendo doesn't give a damn.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 08:28:39 pm »
Agent 12, I believe it's available only to the uploader using that specific account.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 08:56:59 pm »
Aye, good point. Someone could, however, still do this with the Youtube videos. It's a lengthier process; you have to rip the videos off Youtube, put 'em on some portable media, and sell that media.

Yeah but NickyT suggested making a DVD with menus, music, etc. Basically a polished product, rather than a simple MPEG or MP4 file.

NickyT

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Burn! Bobonga!
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 09:27:44 pm »
Oh wow, I totally didn't know that YouTube was making MP4 movies available, I'll have to get CE rounded up for my Zune/PSP! :-)

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 09:55:20 pm »
@FaustWolf

Do you mean something like this link?