Author Topic: Crimson Echoes plothole discussion  (Read 6420 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Crimson Echoes plothole discussion
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 07:04:05 pm »
It's touched upon in these chapters though: the Reptites had elements, one of the Xamoltan was in 1005, Porre found him, Porre found the elements, Porre researched them in a lab, and eventually the lab will be destroyed (in the next chapter, methinks). And that's the end of Porre's elements, I guess.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 07:27:56 pm »
And I can't believe I was doubting that possibility, not only it makes sense, it was the only one possible. (Finished watching the videos)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2009, 01:30:07 am »
so, what year were Lucca/Robo warped to in the reptite timeline?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2009, 01:40:21 am »

The future, that is, 2,305 AD.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2009, 01:48:01 am »

The future, that is, 2,305 AD.

Based on the epoch's design, more precisely, the design of its time controls... Chronopolis is currently in... 1999?

wait, take that back, it WOULD be 2004, and belthasar is in the 2300 era and not before, so nvm.  Not-hole.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:50:38 am by IAmSerge »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2009, 01:50:27 am »
More like having 2305 use 1999's slot in the time gauge.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2009, 01:54:34 am »
yeah, just discovered that over irc...

...wonder what 2300 is used for now... hrmmm...

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2009, 02:26:05 am »
There's a technical limitation behind it:

2300's OW got replaced by the Lucca/Robo Reptite OW. So obviously we couldn't have the epoch going there. We also (atleast at the time) know how to make the epoch rereoute to the 1999 AD overworld. As I'm typing this  I am asking myself why we didn't just put chronopolis OW over 2300 but......forget that for a second....

anyways after a little bit of worrying JLukas helped us figure out a way to hardcode 2300 as the "Overworld the epoch is currently in".  Thus making the epoch just skip 2300 because it thinks you are already in it.

Heh, we are so clever. i guess.....what would have been ideal is hardcode 1999 as the era you are currently in so it skips that and put the Chronopolis overworld over the 2300 overworld.

--JP

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2009, 06:29:25 am »
Based on the epoch's design, more precisely, the design of its time controls... Chronopolis is currently in... 1999?

It's the Neo-Epoch, not Epoch. Storywise it's not the same time gauge. Also in Chapter 1 Belthasar mentions that he wants to make the Neo-Epoch be able to go to anywhere in time but that he hasn't implemented that function yet.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2009, 04:20:55 pm »

It's the Neo-Epoch, not Epoch. Storywise it's not the same time gauge. Also in Chapter 1 Belthasar mentions that he wants to make the Neo-Epoch be able to go to anywhere in time but that he hasn't implemented that function yet.

yeah, my bad...

...wait, isn't there a stable gate in 1 AD now?  Like, after what marle went thru, agent 12 said the gate was "stable" or something?

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2009, 04:52:18 pm »
So this has bothered me with the whole "time travelers immunity" thing. When Crono, Glenn, and Magus get back to stop King Zeal, the Reptite Timeline is avoided but the party is still sent through portals by King Zeal.

So obviously, another version of Crono, Glenn, and Magus are sent, thus creating two sets of them due to time travelers immunity. Can anyone say "Plot Hole"!

I know the CE team obviously missed this little mistake, just like how you guys forgot that destroying the Dragon Tooth, failed to solve Chronopolis' energy problem, forcing you to fix that in a sort of corny way, even though it was completely destroyed along with Sorin (even if Chronopolis reconstructed it, that's kind of stretching it...).

So, care to comment on how this could be resolved without the entity/planet negating the other party. Imagine them being abandoned and having to live out their lives and die knowing they can never get back, always wondering what could have been and happend to the timeline...

There is no plot hole, actually.  When Crono, Glenn, and Magus return to the moment they were sent into the "Reptite Timeline" by Zeal, they had not yet acted upon disrupting Zeal's spell.  At that moment, there existed two possible destinations for Crono, Glenn, and Magus to arrive - one was the non-reptite destination, and the other was the reptite destination.  Originally, the non-reptite timeline was sent to the Darkness Beyond Time, because that timeline was eliminated, leaving only the reptite timeline.  Now, when the three return to stop Zeal, they send the reptite timeline to the Darkness Beyond Time as well and "restore the timeline."  The thing is, they really didn't restore the original timeline but instead created a brand new one that was very similar to the non-reptite timeline.  What happens is, as a result, the Crono, Glenn, and Magus that were sent into the portal right before the versions who returned and stopped Zeal were sent to the Darkness Beyond Time.  In the end, we still have Crono, Glenn, and Magus around with their memories due to Time Traveler's Immunity, and the versions of themselves that they witnessed entering the portals were sent to the Darkness Beyond Time.  That doesn't hold true for Marle, Lucca, or Robo because those versions o themselves in the reptite timeline were sent to the Darkness Beyond Time, but the versions of Crono, Glenn, and Magus came from the reptite timeline and were not sent to the Darkness Beyond Time.  Since they weren't sent to the Darkness Beyond Time, new versions of themselves in the new timeline they created could not exist and were sent to the Darkness Beyond Time. 

It's all very complicated, but it does work out. 

legaiaflame

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2009, 03:04:12 am »
Regarding the extra ending: Tyranny's Disease (and overall possible Plothole)

Okay so Glenn's timeline is changed after the defeat of Lavos and everyone can't recall who he is and people have never met him.

But...the King of Guardia was present at the ending to Chrono Trigger and sent back to the past. Shouldn't he have Time Traveler's Immunity and be the only one whom remembers Glenn? Can anyone explain or am I missing something...?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2009, 11:09:03 am »
This was asked before, and I think the answer was that they had forgotten about that detail of the King.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
If this were true in the Chrono series, there would be a (real) duplicate version of Crono when your version of Crono comes back to 1000 AD. There would be duplicates everywhere due to all the time traveling actually.

Not necessarily. The timeline would have had to have been altered enough for the two to actually meet up in the first place, before one even worries about a bunch of duplicates everywhere.

Crono time travels at Real Time May 5th, 1000 and Time Error X. He changes the past at Time Error X+1, creating a new Crono who very well may time travel at Real Time May 5th, 1000 but Time Error X+1. Original Crono returns on May 6th, X+1, but New Crono returns on May 6th X+2. Where is Original Crono at X+2? He's in May 7th. It would seem like it would generally be a fairly rare occurance for duplicates to meet.