Author Topic: Theory on time, and my "big revelation".  (Read 3694 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on time, and my "big revelation".
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 06:07:29 pm »
well... if you wish to get interesting, you could say that the model of time is actually TWO infinite spirals, with the two centerpoints being the beginning and end of time, whose centers are distance X away from eachother and the point in which time stops outwardly spiraling around the beginning of time and starts inwardly spiraling around the end is exactly at the midpoint between the two spiral's centers...

=D

A mite chaotic, but still just as reasonable as the original spiral idea, if not more reasonable...

But that would still only work if X was finit, wouldn't it?

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:34 pm »
X is finite because it is a direct distance.

However, because of the way that it circles, it never actually reaches either point (going from either direction), and thusly its an infinite "string" still.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 10:31:06 am »
X is finite because it is a direct distance.

However, because of the way that it circles, it never actually reaches either point (going from either direction), and thusly its an infinite "string" still.

Not necessarily, one can have different "amounts" of infinites. A totally different thought problem might help illustrate what I mean (I'm sure there is a real term for this that would explain it better, but I don't know it): imagine there in an infinite amount of space. Now imagine that there is an infinite amount of matter in that space. The space could be totally packed with matter, so that the two are equal, even though they are both infinite. Or there could be a foot cubed of matter for every two feet cubed of space, so that while there is still an infinite amount of matter, it is half as much as the amount of space, which is also infinite.

While the displacement X may be significantly less than the directed distance between the two end points, it could still be a lesser infinite and therefore still presents the original problem that the spiral model attempts to solve.

Or at least, I think so. It does become hard to keep one's framework straight when talking of such extra-dimensional concepts.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 02:48:52 pm »
Haha yeah, it does... and I get what you're saying...

anything is possible, I was just trying to come up with a more feasible model.  What you're suggesting is just changing what I suggested to be a different possible model... amirite?  Nothing provable, or disprovable, about either of them *shrug*

tjbk_tjb

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:09:30 am »
I did a bunch of math and I made a graph. I'll explain later.