Author Topic: The Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 12  (Read 7404 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: The Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 12
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 08:16:55 am »
I'd like to take this time to reply to the n00bs that will inevitably post around page 3~5 of this, the current newest CEMemorial Chapter release, by telling them to STFU, the next chapter will come out when it comes out! Wait, but do not post that you're waiting. This does not become a countdown to the next Chapter thread once you've watched the videos. No one cares about how long you may or may not have been waiting. Thank you for your time.[/rant]

Anyways...Almost past where I had played through! I'll have to really try to catch up on watching these vids tomorrow when I go to the library (I'm only on the 3rd vid of the entire memorial! V_V)...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 09:31:41 am »
I complained a bit when that part about the Dragon Tooth was introduced, mostly over how Chronopolis 's ability to detect temporal stuff. (Back when Chrono'99 first revised the plot, he said that Belthasar would have to rely on historical records.) I think C99 didn't like the Dragon tooth retrieval because it would require another time egg usage.

Yeah, Time Eggs were very rare in the 3 other games and apparently very difficult to make. In CC Lucca never managed to build complete ones, and Belthasar's pink hollow egg may or may not have been complete. On the other hand we use a LOT of Time Eggs in CE.

Another issue is that Sorin blew up the Dragon Tooth, to prevent the Frozen Flame from using it to recreate Reptites. A destroyed Dragon Tooth can't really be useful as a power source. I guess we could assume that the Chronopolis scientists repair it, but it's not obvious in the dialogue.

Yet another issue, if you go back to the initial point (Chronopolis's need to replace their Dreamstone with another power source), is that it would have been much more simple to simply get the Sun Stone instead. We could assume that the Sun Stone's radiant signature is incompatible with the Chronopolis cloaking device or something, but again, it's not obvious. The Stone does get a plot point later on in the game though.

So yeah, this Dragon Tooth weak spot is kinda my fault. It's right the middle of the game so I guess it fell under my radar during the plot revisions, compared to earlier and later events.

The following characters gained TTI but weren't accounted for: King Guardia XXI (600s King Guardia), Doan, and optionally, Chrono's mom, Gina. I guess these guys and gal slipped the CE Team's mind when you were writing the story, but if you'd remembered these characters gained TTI, what would you'd have done with them. Also, will we be seeing Norstein Bekkler, Doan, and the rest of the world of the year 2305 in the future?

Eh, you're right. The biggest of these minor issues is King Guardia XXI I think. Gina's lack of TTI can be explained if the party crashed the Epoch on Lavos, and Doan doesn't appear in the game (we were limited by tilesets in the future era).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:34:42 am by Chrono'99 »

Kora

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • DevArt
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:41:39 am »
This is looking amazing so far, and I really like the Epoch mod! (That mecha crawlie also looks fairly badass, as well as the Sorin spritesheet.) The accidental effect on Cahulka was also nice... as mentioned before, it does look very holographic!

I devoutly hope that you'll be showing the optional endings when the playthrough is done :D

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:55 am »
I guess these guys and gal slipped the CE Team's mind when you were writing the story
I pointed out King Guardia XXI's TTI status twice during development. The first time was when the plot element was introduced. I guess maybe they thought it would hurt the "strain from nobody remembering him [Glenn]" element.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:47:36 pm by Vehek »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 12:22:13 pm »
I guess these guys and gal slipped the CE Team's mind when you were writing the story
I pointed out King Guardia XXI's TTI status twice during development. The first time was when the plot element was introduced. I guess maybe they thought it would hurt the "strain from nobody remembering him" element.

The first time I just assumed the final dialogue wasn't inserted yet, and the second time I think I wasn't here to see how the plot outline was being implemented.

Mirenately

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 12:30:31 pm »
I've been following the whole C&D thing from the very beginning. Though, i decided to register only now-_-"
Guys, thank you for a great job! From all russian Chrono community! The video walkthrough is awesome! You were able to create a great storyline that contains both epic moments and chrono-humor that gives the whole series its inner sparkle. (Agent12 in the last videos is really something *laughts*)
It's a pity, though, that we probably won't be able to get a complete and polished version of the game (or a 98%-finished at this rate). Still...It is said that hope is the last one to die^_-

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 12:36:50 pm »
Welcome to the Compendium new people, and thanks for the feedback! Darkken, uber job on the sprites as usual, you're our hero man.

As for people like King Guardia and Doan having Time Traveler's Immunity, I always imagined they just ended up in Reptite zoos or something during those timelines once they were Gated in. The Xamoltan might have caught them, but finding a time traveler while traveling through time oneself would be a really "needle in a haystack" situation.

For Crono and Marle, keep in mind that they've been married/together for approximately 5 years at this point. Romantic relationships tend to get less sappy over time, or so I hear...?

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:40:49 pm »
This chapter wasn't bad at all, it certainly wasn't the most exciting, but it had its moments.

On a somewhat related note, how many other sprites did Darkken make for CE? Would it be possible to see any of these in some way, shape, or form?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:56:09 pm »
I'll make a credits reel once I'm done uploading gameplay footage showing all the new sprites, both used and unused.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:54 pm »
I complained a bit when that part about the Dragon Tooth was introduced, mostly over how Chronopolis 's ability to detect temporal stuff. (Back when Chrono'99 first revised the plot, he said that Belthasar would have to rely on historical records.) I think C99 didn't like the Dragon tooth retrieval because it would require another time egg usage.

Yeah, Time Eggs were very rare in the 3 other games and apparently very difficult to make. In CC Lucca never managed to build complete ones, and Belthasar's pink hollow egg may or may not have been complete. On the other hand we use a LOT of Time Eggs in CE.

Another issue is that Sorin blew up the Dragon Tooth, to prevent the Frozen Flame from using it to recreate Reptites. A destroyed Dragon Tooth can't really be useful as a power source. I guess we could assume that the Chronopolis scientists repair it, but it's not obvious in the dialogue.

Yet another issue, if you go back to the initial point (Chronopolis's need to replace their Dreamstone with another power source), is that it would have been much more simple to simply get the Sun Stone instead. We could assume that the Sun Stone's radiant signature is incompatible with the Chronopolis cloaking device or something, but again, it's not obvious. The Stone does get a plot point later on in the game though.

So yeah, this Dragon Tooth weak spot is kinda my fault. It's right the middle of the game so I guess it fell under my radar during the plot revisions, compared to earlier and later events.

The following characters gained TTI but weren't accounted for: King Guardia XXI (600s King Guardia), Doan, and optionally, Chrono's mom, Gina. I guess these guys and gal slipped the CE Team's mind when you were writing the story, but if you'd remembered these characters gained TTI, what would you'd have done with them. Also, will we be seeing Norstein Bekkler, Doan, and the rest of the world of the year 2305 in the future?

Eh, you're right. The biggest of these minor issues is King Guardia XXI I think. Gina's lack of TTI can be explained if the party crashed the Epoch on Lavos, and Doan doesn't appear in the game (we were limited by tilesets in the future era).

Sorin should have just "contained" the Dragon Tooth, so it wouldn't touch the Frozen Flame. With something like the chest door thing on Bender from Futurama. Then Zeal should have damaged him and sent him in the gate anyway, and we would have ended up with a more smooth conclusion. Sorin still would have "sacrificed" himself, and the crisis would still have been averted. But there wouldn't be the whole "Dragon Tooth Destroyed then Collected" plot hole.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 01:50:43 pm »
Sorin should have just "contained" the Dragon Tooth, so it wouldn't touch the Frozen Flame.
That's what I figured happened...Or he sort used himself as a shield, protecting the Dragon Tooth.

Mbrady16

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 01:56:26 pm »
While this isn't JP's favorite chapter, I think it was decent.  No game can be super exciting the whole way through- sometimes scenes and quests exist simply to connect two points or to burn some time in a constructive way.  Though I think I would've chosen whatever it took to fight Cakuhla, personally... after the scenes in 1 AD Reptite Timeline...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 03:11:47 pm »
Anyone else getting 500 Internal Service error when they go to Youtube? Resolved.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:21:53 pm by FaustWolf »

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »
Yea Darkken is .....is just amazing.

Vehek - Yea I'm guessing it's the time eggs too.  We got Lucca's prototype, returning to Zeal, and now the Dragon Tooth (so far). I never really minded the "sensing time distortions". I feel like if Chronopolis can make the Time Catcher then it must have some sort of technology for that sort of thing.

Mikisho the Xamoltan are not done at all.  That was only one of them :) Remember they all have TTI.  Were you talking about the meeting with Crono/Marle? I guess we could have made it a little more sappy. Especially since....you know crono thought he lost her.

--JP

I'm just talking about all the xamoltan scenes in general.  Especially the one with Crono's party near the end.  I mean, they are the only ones to befriend (In a sense) The two Xamoltan members, and then they just turn on them without a passing glance.  I can understand Crono and Magus and Frog.  But Cakulha (Or whoever it was in their chapter) Actually thought of them as friends in a sense (Atleast, from what I made out...) But he (She?) too just turned on them and said, "Ok screw you, I'm just gonna kill you now."

I just thought the Xamoltan on a whole could have been done much better.  But whatever.  There's still 2 left to see, so maybe we'll get a more dramatic scene there (But my expectations were set really only with the two from C,M,&G's chapter).  Just thought I'd share my two cents ;)

FalconHit

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 03:47:02 pm »
Welcome to the Compendium new people, and thanks for the feedback! Darkken, uber job on the sprites as usual, you're our hero man.

As for people like King Guardia and Doan having Time Traveler's Immunity, I always imagined they just ended up in Reptite zoos or something during those timelines once they were Gated in. The Xamoltan might have caught them, but finding a time traveler while traveling through time oneself would be a really "needle in a haystack" situation.

For Crono and Marle, keep in mind that they've been married/together for approximately 5 years at this point. Romantic relationships tend to get less sappy over time, or so I hear...?

I think what he meant was that Glenn and Cyrus wouldn't be unknowns in his era because of the King.  I didn't think about it before but that is a god point to bring up, huge plot hole.