Author Topic: More Schala Fan Art  (Read 5297 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: More Schala Fan Art
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 06:52:12 pm »
Looks good...It brings to mind Schala if she had survived the Fall of Zeal and was living among the rest of the Earthbound and other survivors...

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
  • Blown along by the wind...
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 12:46:17 pm »
And again:

http://axilet.deviantart.com/art/Chrono-Trigger-Hug-126246763

Aaaand this is why I prefer pencils. When I use Copic the markers bleed everywhere, if you look closely. Plus, I slipped up on Janus's hand when I was outlining  :shock:

I checked the art store. They didn't stock Prismacolours =(

Thanks for the comments, commenters! XD

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 01:00:41 pm »
It looks pretty nice, in color. I tend to prefer pencil sketches, but you didn't do badly at all. Well done.

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 04:15:25 am »
Well, this is technically Schala fanart, I suppose. Colored with Photoshop this time.

http://axilet.deviantart.com/art/Chrono-Cross-Kid-127621860

And I have a bad feeling I got the shadows on the floor wrong, so anyone in the know please correct me ^_^

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 08:27:03 am »
Very nice. It all has a very fluid feel to it... perhaps you should watch out as well XD;

mav

• Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:29 pm »
Heh, I don't know shit about shading, but maybe Mr. Bekkler can give you a few tips? He was an art student, if I recall correctly.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:07 pm »
The shading on the floor would really depend on what direction the pier is running in regards to the sun. If it's perpendicular, then the shadows would be straight, like the reflection in the water. But if it's diagonal, then the shadows would be slightly slanted. Try standing some pencils up the way those posts are and shine a flashlight on them to simulate the sun.

I like your colours in this one. Kid's got a cute face :D

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 02:14:46 pm »
Well, I don't really have a problem with getting the poles' shadows right. It's more that of Kid's shadow >_>

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see hers. Well, judging by the shadows on the poles, the sun is pretty low, so her shadow should be pretty long too. You won't be able to see much of it because of how the picture cuts off, but the shadows for her legs would probably be just like the poles, only starting farther from the edge. You might contour it differently, too. If the poles' shadows have hard edges, than Kid's shadow should too.

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 02:36:57 pm »
Judging the angle of the sun, the shape of the pole shadows, and Kid's position above the relative ground-plane...

Kid's shadow wouldn't be visible in the current frame of view. Rather, the tips of her shadow's feet would begin below the bottom edge of the picture... Pointing in the same direction as the poles. (This is why I always draw with a medium-high front angle light source...)

Another point about shading, with the sun where it is in the frame, most of kid should be dark, with only the edges on the right side of the image being highlighted... However... I think, based on the painting and shading method used, the majority being bright... probably looks better aesthetically... even if not accurately. (Again, this is why I generally make the sun very high or in front of my frames, and hence, not visible.)

Don't think I'm picking the image apart; I'm just trying to be helpful.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 02:45:50 pm »
And I have a bad feeling I got the shadows on the floor wrong, so anyone in the know please correct me ^_^

Not noticably. The only problem I see here (other than the fact that it's anime  :lol: ) is that it your photoshop color job looks a little flat. It's not the shadows on the floor, it's the shadows on her body. The sun is behind her, yet the light seems to come from the front once you look at her figure. When a light source is behind someone, the shadows become much more interesting IRL. Here's a reference from google images.

Other than that, you could work on your depth. There's no indication that the sun, sky, and water aren't just a cardboard backdrop, and by that I mean it's the same color value from the top of the water to the bottom. The closer something is, the clearer and (at least with paintings and related colored art) darker the thing/area should be. The farther away it is, it should get less contrasty and more gray to emphasize the foreground. Basically if one were in a black and white room and were to look at the farthest wall away, the floor would appear as a gradient.

For reference, a landscape photo from google images:

Notice the dark tree closest to the viewer to the left. Also notice the mountain in the background. There's a very nice field of depth here.

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 02:52:41 pm »
Thanks for the tips! It's true, I realized that Kid should be darker, but it looked nicer bright so I went with it. Also, I'm coloring with a mouse, so I wasn't inclined to do so much shading since I didn't have perfect control. Another reason for the "cardboard" landscapes. Though I do realize that isn't a good excuse ^_^

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 02:57:36 pm »
Anytime. My suggestion is that you take the sun out of the background and let be your original light source. It doesn't bring anything to the picture that isn't already there. If you were to do that, though, then the shadows on the floor would need to be changed to extend to the left.

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 03:00:40 pm »
Yeah, that makes sense. I only put the sun there 'cause the sky looked sort of empty and the sea flat. Clearly I was taking one too many liberties with artistic license there...  :)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 03:07:24 pm »
Nah, experimentation is the best way to come up with new methods of creating art. Play with it all you want. It is your piece.

I do like that it's not too far into the anime direction. Your outline width on Kid is great, also on the bird. I'd like to see that extended to the setting also.

I'm very big on collective opinion gathering, at least when it comes to improving artwork. If you see anything I've done, lemme know what you think! Be critical! You won't hurt my feelings.  :D  (Though I admittedly don't have much "done" that I've posted here. But I have lots of experiments floating around the forums.)