Author Topic: The Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 11  (Read 9561 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: The Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 11
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 03:56:26 pm »
Antaeus's transformation was perfect, in my opinion: demonic, but not necessarily a demon, and humanoid, but not necessarily human. It's a clever juxtaposition of what the Frozen Flame can potentially do to a person's humanity. Turning into Kasmir would have been a little corny, and on top of that, it would be a mighty drastic change to the timeline, non? I'm not sure, but had Marle not interfered, wouldn't Antaeus have simply been killed?

Oh and Cedric Guardia rising to power through corrupt means is brilliant! It brings to mind how we tend to only revere or condemn historical figures on their actions, as opposed to the content of their character.

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:01 pm »
Mikisho, you're getting the hang of Time Traveler's Immunity!
Yay, I feel special xD

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:55 pm »
Yay, I feel special xD
A special cake for the special boy!!! *hands him cake*

ajmmii

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »
The ReptiteLand Marle is in a different timeline.  This is a brand new Marle from a timeline where Sorin went after the dragon tooth and didn't allow the Frozen Flame to recreate the Reptites.

Later in the game you might get to see where all these destroyed timelines end up ;)

--JP

Could this be a hint of being able to revisit multilple dimensions like in Chrono Cross?  :shock:

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 05:03:23 pm »
It's a hint that the player could revisit something from Chrono Cross. :D

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 05:25:13 pm »
I'm not sure, but had Marle not interfered, wouldn't Antaeus have simply been killed?

Yes, he would have been obliterated by Cedric's Frozen Flame. The point of divergence is when Marle fights the Heckran and two Porreans. She made the mistake of not finishing off one of these enemies (the Porrean who looks dead after the battle but doesn't disappear). During Cedric's little speech with the Frozen Flame, this survivor tries to attack Marle again and utterly fails, but this distracts Cedric and Antaeus steals his Flame. In the original timeline, Cedric would have killed the Heckran and Porreans himself, so Antaeus would never have got a hold of the Frozen Flame.

I love these cutscenes where you see the modified timeline but can deduce from what you see what happened in the original.

Another example of that is in 605 A.D. (in the previous videos), when Glenn has to choose between Porre or the Mystics or staying neutral. In the player's timeline, the two other party members left Glenn before this point because there were two wounded Vanguards at the entrance of the forest and they had to bring them to safety. However, in the previous timeline (without the player's intervention), Glenn had to carry these two soldiers to safety himself, so he never had to make a decision concerning the 3 Vanguard captains' dilemma. We had to plan each of the player's intervention in time really carefully to make sure the plot would actually go in the direction we want it to go.

LinkSlySora

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 05:59:24 pm »
Not certain if this has been said, but it is interesting how previously Cedric wanted humans to not fight eachother but a common enemy, the reptites. Now that they don't exist anymore, he has a radically different personality. Not only amazing gameplay but an amazing story to match. If I were to ever be involved in a project such as this, the only thing I would be able to contribute is to the writing and the story (due to my lack of knowledge of this coding stuff, and I doubt that is easy), and my goal would be for it to be just as good as this ones (not an easy task).

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 09:49:15 pm »
Yay, I feel special xD
A special cake for the special boy!!! *hands him cake*
Oh YUM!!!  *SHCLORMFSH* FANK YOU!!!

stealthrabbi

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 10:40:49 pm »
And I said to my father, "What is this exquisite material?", and he said... it is Kasmir.

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 10:58:56 pm »
It's a hint that the player could revisit something from Chrono Cross. :D

Something obvious or something that contradict what Chrono Cross have mentioned so far? My instinct say
Darkness Beyond Time.
My instinct also say
To get the story smooth, you will make sure the timeline that Schala residence with will be the subject of TB,
then she would be sent to DBT, for nothing but obviously for one reason, FUSED WITH LAVOS.

Do not zoom if you do not want 'possible' spoiler.

leena_zeal

• Porrean (+50)
  • beauty lies in the eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 11:04:11 pm »
Not certain if this has been said, but it is interesting how previously Cedric wanted humans to not fight eachother but a common enemy, the reptites. Now that they don't exist anymore, he has a radically different personality.

I believed that change was caused by Cedric's contact with the frozen flame. Had the flame not been there, wouldn't things have gone differently? Anateus does mention that they used to be friends...

Anyway, great job. Although I must say I was rather dissapointed when I noticed Marle's set of techs (as well as Crono's and Lucca's if I remember correctly) had remained unaltered, whereas Glenn's, Magus' and Robo's where dramatically changed. Was there any special reason for this? (other than the fact that it must be hell to accomplish)

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music is the power of the imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 11:06:24 pm »
Nicely done, keep them coming!  :D

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 11:08:32 pm »
I find more interesting the fact Cedric was able to be in the reptite time line too when things went totally different in there.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 11:21:26 pm »
What was different about Frog and Robo's Techs? Marle and Lucca both had alterations to two of their preexisting Techs (Haste and Protect respectively)...

leena_zeal

• Porrean (+50)
  • beauty lies in the eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 11:24:05 pm »
I was reffering to the new techs (and lack thereof)