Author Topic: The Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 11  (Read 9562 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
The Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 11
« on: June 08, 2009, 02:59:18 am »
With ReptiteLand over what could we possible do next????  I was amazed that some people thought the last batch was the end of the game haha.  I think we are ~50% over.  Also just so you guys know you got a bonus chapter in here since chapter 10 is so short it got coupled with the end of the last batch of videos and the beginning of this one.

Video 31
Video 32
Video 33

Try to keep discussion about the videos themselves :)

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: The Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 11
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:12:27 am »
In retrospect, we should've worried more about Marle's tech set. With some more time, a "Machine Gun Ice 1" would have been in order, where Marle casts Ice 1 three times in a row to save the player some menu effort in these chapters.  :lol:  Even a "Lower HP = More damage" tech for Marle would have made for some great strategic options.

I loved the Heckran's new AI. I think I caught its new body slam/rush attack once in the video walkthrough; that made me jump in my seat a bit when that happened, because I wasn't expecting it in the least.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:41 am »
Yes, you definitely should've given her a more powerful Ice spell of some kind... of course then you'd have to worry about maybe giving her Ice Sword 3 or Antipode 4... maybe some kind of Ice Sword thing with Frog...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:20:36 am »
The key definitely would have been to make it an early tech, probably within her first four so the player would definitely have access to it by this time. A multi-hit "Ice Pulse" replacing Ice 1 would have been really awesome now that I think about it, visually as well as strategically. Ice 2 would have been a help in multi-enemy situations, but the damage boost wouldn't have been so great as to make the videos that much shorter I think.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:22:09 am »
Yea, unfortunately these kind of difficulty things were caught very late in development because....frankly while developing my testing consisted of me playing a ** game in fast forward and making sure there was no show-stoppers/characters loaded right and so on.

And if I had to do it all over.........i'd do the same thing haha. It just wasn't practical for me to test difficulty while developing it.

On a plus side I am pretty sure I can fast forward through a start => finish run quicker than anyone else in the world.  Some of the maps I actually would tweak just so I don't have to let go of the fast forward button.

--JP

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
  • Blown along by the wind...
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:44:05 am »
There was one thing I was puzzled about, though: shouldn't Marle have retained her memories of the Reptile victory? Otherwise, another great video. Though I hate to repeat myself, such praise is well-deserved =D

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 03:47:22 am »
The ReptiteLand Marle is in a different timeline.  This is a brand new Marle from a timeline where Sorin went after the dragon tooth and didn't allow the Frozen Flame to recreate the Reptites.

Later in the game you might get to see where all these destroyed timelines end up ;)

--JP

Claxo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 03:48:52 am »
If someone playing knew Marle was going to run solo during parts of the game, then I think it would have been more about working up her techs early on so that she'd have a more diverse set during the solo play. Though the idea of a multi-hit tech for Marle is amusing. I could imagine her throwing multiple snowballs at the enemy. You could have also had a weapon designed for her that could have dealt a bit more damage.

anonymouse: After Sorin sacrificed himself to destroy the Dragon Tooth, the Reptite events never occured. This chapter, I'm taking it, is showing what happened to the others after the tooth's destruction. Thus, everything we've seen (and will see) happen to Marle, Robo and Lucca now hasn't happened.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 03:51:34 am »
We gave Marle a weapon that casts "stop" with a pretty high success rate on every enemy in her chapters.

I don't think marle's strength stat ever gets high enough to give her a weapon with enough firepower to fight enemies with physical strength alone.

--JP

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 03:53:27 am »
so that was a nice, interesting, evil, and wierd chapter!

anonymouse

• Porrean (+50)
  • Blown along by the wind...
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 03:56:22 am »
The ReptiteLand Marle is in a different timeline.  This is a brand new Marle from a timeline where Sorin went after the dragon tooth and didn't allow the Frozen Flame to recreate the Reptites.

Later in the game you might get to see where all these destroyed timelines end up ;)

--JP

Argh...time travel can get pretty confusing...

Thanks for clearing that up. It's just that I thought, with TTI, she would remain the same Marle. Heck, the items she collected, and her experience, still stay, right? I suppose you guys will be exploring the Dead Sea in later chapters?

Claxo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:01:45 am »
Ah yes, I do remember the mentioning of that particular bow. Though I thought ranged weapons didn't use strength to determine damage? Maybe I'm thinking of the DS version as I haven't played the SNES version in so long. I still support leveling Marle early on to get Ice 2 for the multiple enemy fights.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:14 am »
 I suppose you guys will be exploring the Dead Sea in later chapters?
[/quote]

ugh I would love that!

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 04:04:04 am »
haha oh yea.....I just made a total CT newb mistake :).  

Ice 2 is definitely the way to go but Ice 2 is a pretty late tech and CE did a bad job of giving you plenty of TP at the beginning of the game.

--JP

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 04:11:34 am »
It's just that I thought, with TTI, she would remain the same Marle. Heck, the items she collected, and her experience, still stay, right?
TTI, as we seem to use it, isn't that strong. It only preserves the emergence from the gate. I think an analogy would be making a backup copy when someone or something time travels and using the backup copy in later timelines as the person/object to emerge from the gate.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:38:11 am by Vehek »