Author Topic: Square Enix Not Impressed by CTDS Sales  (Read 11151 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: Square Enix Not Impressed by CTDS Sales
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 08:33:29 pm »
SE should soon not be surprised if their second MMO turns out to blow mules. FFXI stunk... and FFXIV is sure to change little.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »
SE should soon not be surprised if their second MMO turns out to blow mules. FFXI stunk... and FFXIV is sure to change little.

I played XI for a while and honestly? I enjoyed it. Perhaps not great as a FF title, but as a standalone MMO it's pretty fun.

ANYWAY BACK ON TRACK

Looking forward to a reply, I'm remaining skeptical.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 09:12:43 pm »

no it didn't D:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 09:24:35 pm »
I think people are overreacting to this executive's statement (assuming it is legitimate). I interpreted his comments as an advertisement for the CT:DS remake. It's a pretty basic talking point tactic. His ambiguous answer on the state of the Chrono franchise made it sound like we'd be much likelier to get a new game if we bought more copies of the latest game. That sounds like a PR statement rather than a strategic assessment candidly offered to the public--which makes sense given that modern large corporations almost never discuss strategy in public anymore. That's why, even if there is as-yet unannounced Chrono games in development, he'd have been breaking discipline to announce that on his own initiative.

In other words, the exec didn't say anything except that he wants to see more sales of CT:DS. He did not explicitly say that there will or will not be another Chrono game. Simple logic, people! Leaven your minds with the yeast of critical analysis. That's not even his decision to make, and, even if it were, there's nothing stopping the SE board and executive management from changing all its positions tomorrow.

Incidentally, about SE Japan not being aware of SE America's C&D action against us...if SE America's legal department is to be trusted, it was Japan that put the pressure on them to issue the C&D demands in the first place.

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 11:20:14 pm »
I just want to know why SE can take the time to do 2 completely 3D remakes of FF games for the DS, but can only be bothered to add a pokemonesk side game, and 3 new dungeons that barely, if at all, touch the storyline.  So Dalton says he wants revenge, who didn't know that?  If square wants it's fans to buy a second port, make it worth their time and money.

I can see why SE loves the FF franchise so much, it is the reason they stayed in business.  The reason CT has such a huge modding community and talented modders is because of the lack of titles.  One would think SE would see all the fan made content for CT and take it as a sign that people want new Chrono.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:31:34 pm by KillaGouge »

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 11:48:01 pm »
I just want to know why SE can take the time to do 2 completely 3D remakes of FF games for the DS, but can only be bothered to add a pokemonesk side game, and 3 new dungeons that barely, if at all, touch the storyline.  So Dalton says he wants revenge, who didn't know that?  If square wants it's fans to buy a second port, make it worth their time and money.

Exactly.  Given the fact that on the surface CT:DS looked like a straight port, I think those sales numbers are great.

neologix

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Gate Sealer
    • View Profile
    • ATOM - Apollolux Tabular Object Management system
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 12:22:54 am »
I can see why SE loves the FF franchise so much, it is the reason they stayed in business.  The reason CT has such a huge modding community and talented modders is because of the lack of titles.  One would think SE would see all the fan made content for CT and take it as a sign that people want new Chrono.

correction: FF is the reason SQUARESOFT stayed in business. almost no one originally squaresoft is left after the "merger," so it figures enix wants to take out those that prevented dragon quest from being number one, starting w/chrono.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 01:03:10 am »
You do not know how mergers work. Enix has no real say into the goings-on of Square.

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Hmm...
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 01:13:47 am »
I just read that SE wasn't impressed with the CT:DS sales. I was wondering though, does this seriously affect the possibility of having a new Chrono game? Does it even damper the possibility of a Chrono Cross remake as well?
It's hard for me to fathom that SE would throw away a great series. :(

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 01:44:19 am »
Depends on how you view it Toan. If you take it from Lord J's angle, it essentially amounts to a publicity stunt, a weird attempt to make people rush out and buy second, third, and fourth copies of CT:DS for fear that SE won't make another Chrono game. By promoting panic and misunderstanding, maybe he hopes to shock the gaming populace into a second wave of giving SE money.

However, Hashimoto's comments seem far more venomous than the simple oblique statements we've heard in the past. "Why, we'd love to continue the Chrono series, but Dream Team members a, b, and c are busy with Final Fantasy XI XIV." "We'll see, maybe if enough people buy CT:DS, they'll see another Chrono game!"

Hashimoto came off like, "What, Chrono? Pffft, the consumer has spoken on that, and not loudly enough."

Hashimoto's choice of words here tells me that Square Enix has absolutely no interest in continuing the Chrono franchise. Especially as long as he has any say-so in the matter. However, I'd like to see the full interview rpgsite.net is supposed to release in case that was a poor translation or something. It certainly is odd that he said that in response to a question on Front Mission, which has consistently performed well below Chrono levels yet made it to 5 main games, plus Front Mission: Gun Hazard, plus this new iteration.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:46:57 am by FaustWolf »

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 02:19:32 am »
Chrono is seeming to share the Legaia sagas' fate, according to SE.

At least Chrono actually had a sequel and continued development. Legend of Dragoon was never again touched.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 02:26:15 am »
LOL was great!  L2DS wasn't as good but still good.

but the fact the two were unrelated doesn't help.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 08:11:53 am »
correction: FF is the reason SQUARESOFT stayed in business. almost no one originally squaresoft is left after the "merger," so it figures enix wants to take out those that prevented dragon quest from being number one, starting w/chrono.

You have no idea what you're talking about. 1/ A gigantic majority of Squaresoft people are still at Square Enix, unfortunately they don't all have executive powers. 2/ As V said above, the Enix part has not much say in the goings-on of Square, as the SE President Wada was the president of Square before the merger, and Vice President Hashimoto has been working at Square since 1995. 3/ Dragon Quest has always been number one. 4/ The creator of the Dragon Quest series has never been an Enix or Square or Square Enix employee to begin with. 5/ The merger is the reason Square stayed in business.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 01:03:43 pm »
Just got a response back from Alex, who had the interview with Hashimoto:

Quote from: Alex Donaldson
Hi FaustWolf,

This was an exclusive interview. If you wish to verify the accuracy, I can
always photograph some of my E3 credentials, but if you take a look at
some of our content over the coming days (Crystal Bearers Interview, Front
Mission Interview, FF13 Interview, Mass Effect 2 Preview, Star Wars: The
old Republic preview) you'll find it quite clear we were indeed at the
show and had a bunch of behind-closed doors stuff.

There was only one other journalist present, from a French gaming
magazine. Also present there was a translator and two employees from
Double Helix, the guys working on Front Mission Evolved.

They will appear in the full Front Mission interview, but I'm yet to
transcribe the full interview from the original audio. I would provide
audio itself but sadly I'm not allowed to. I'm not sure if it'll be before
I fly back to the UK (Tuesday), but I'll do my best. There's a lot of
features for us to catch up on.

Context is as follows: Front Mission Evolved is an evolution of the Front
Mission franchise (who knew?) from a company outside of Square Enix.
Double Helix is a Western developer. The interview was for Front Mission
and was as I said with 2 employees from Double Helix and Hashimoto.

In the final segments of the interview, I asked Hasimoto if he could see
Square Enix handing any other loved but neglected IPs off to external
companies. He asked what franchises. I suggested Chrono Trigger or Mana.
The response was as you see in the article.

He basically chuckled and asked why everyone asks about Chrono Trigger -
my response was that it's a much-loved franchise. He said the sales
figures didn't bear this out, and if it was so loved and a sequel so in
demand, people should buy more copies.

Hope that helps you out!
-Alex

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 01:35:50 pm »
So a SNES cart, PS1 disk, and a DS Cart, all of which contain the same thing, baring the cutsecens, and they want us to keep buying the same recycled game.  Then there is Chrono Cross, only a PS1 release, and that can't even be played unless you still own a PS1 or a PS2.  They are missing an entire generation by only porting 1 of the 2 Chrono games to the DS.  Hell, Chrono Trigger Resurrection could have provided them with pre-made 3D models, and Crimson Echoes could have provided them with an entirely new game, all with next to no work for SE.  Either give up rights to Chrono and let it's fans keep it alive, or make some NEW content FFS.

Hell, I'm still waiting for the cold day in hell when there is a legit Terranigma release in America. (Enix title)