Author Topic: Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 7; Alpha Leakers Banned  (Read 23261 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Leakers Banned
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2009, 06:55:12 pm »
Yeah Faust I just read that a little while ago. I mean damn, I knew Dark Serge had a tendency to be a dick but...wow.

EDIT: Man, I just can't get over what a fucking traitorous move that was if it was in fact a real e-mail.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:21:39 pm by chrono eric »

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2009, 07:22:47 pm »
I'd like to let JoeMama know that each of those little flames surrounding Robo in "VulcanPulse" has its own object code. If he wants to replicate what's in the videos exactly, he should expect about a 10 hour learning curve for the techs if he's used to working with whatever old copy of the tech editor that might be floating around out there, and then two to four hours per tech once he gets his bearings. Also, the tech editor still lacked several functions that were absolutely vital, so he'll have to use a hex editor at some points. Hope he has fun with that; I know I did.

FaustWolf, you seem to have no faith in him. Who knows, maybe he CAN and WILL recreate Crimson Echoes. I will admit, with my experience in TF and a few other hex editors, it's a bitch to edit events and techs alike, but even if it takes 4 or 5 months to do, it might be worth it to him in the long run. Also, this thought struck me the first time I read this post, did you {FaustWolf} have any experience in hex editing before the creation of CE?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2009, 07:48:14 pm »
Seriously though, why do people keep asking for a leak?
Because it's stupid, and stupid, for whatever reason, seems to be contagious.

Awesom, that's going in the quote page. :lol:

Anyways, can you TRULY say a full leak is completely impossible?

Yes, so everyone can STFU about it, put away their sorry Alpha and watch the CEMemorial vids.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:31 pm »
Quote from: dark3mx
Also, this thought struck me the first time I read this post, did you {FaustWolf} have any experience in hex editing before the creation of CE?
Yes. I had the fantastic opportunity to be trained personally by the guy who literally wrote the book on PSX console architecture, and therein learned the proper train of thought for modding. During that time I also worked cooperatively with a team coders, modders, and modelers far more experienced than I was to determine the format of the Chrono Cross models. This is what I helped accomplish before joining the CE team.

Not that I begrudge him personally for embarking on what he's doing, other than the stark fact it could still get ZeaLitY and Agent 12 in hot water if successful. I simply wanted to give him a taste of the full breadth of what he is getting into.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:12:22 pm by FaustWolf »

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:21 pm »
So YOU made Magus Unmasked? My god.... But back to the whol JoaMomma thing. If he were to recreate CE, and release it as an IPS patch and claim that Z/JP/you, had nothing to do with it {by that I mean, you did not help him code anything after he got his hands on the Alpha} You all would be home-free, and more likely, so would he.

Also, on a basis in legal info, Crimson Echoes would fall under Fair Use. If the source of all ideas,characters,text,music, etc. is cited, then there is some protection against copyright infringement, but citing alone is not enough to save your ass.

The right of Fair Use is placed upon any fan work. Anyways, the basics for Fair Use are:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
       2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
       3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
       4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Those are the 4 points in which decide if the work is being used under the Fair use subject.

So, long story short, JoeMamma could release his full completed copy of CE and claim Fair Use, mainly because the game is not going to be sold for profit, it is cited as to where the story,characters, etc came from and the effect towards the sales of the original person(s) works would more likely be boosted from the release of the game, rather than to be shot down from it being a parody, or from the game being sold and claimed under copyright (which would be a stupid decision on his part to claim Copyrights)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2009, 09:00:00 pm »
So YOU made Magus Unmasked? My god....
More correctly, I executed the technical side of it after gaining a plethora of basic knowledge within a rich modding culture full of experience, drive and curiosity. BROJ executed the artistic side with touchups on the artwork by Satoh, and we had quality control input from a wide range of fans. I think Maggiekarp may have provided some of the basic artwork too, or at least texture mockups. Also, we had Dark Serge bugtest...make what you will of that, yes, the Dark Serge had admirably contributed to Chrono modding before claiming to have single-handedly shut it down.

The lesson there is, I hope Joemama has a project team possessing a range of talents available to help him in such an endeavor.

I guess I'll let those named in the C&D comment on how they would feel if CE were replicated by another group and released. It's easy for you and I to say, "Sure! They've got all the legal bases covered!" but the situation may or may not appear different to those who were actually threatened.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:02:25 pm by FaustWolf »

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2009, 11:05:53 pm »
Not all of the alpha leakers were banned. I'll just say that.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2009, 12:12:55 am »
Huh? Are you implying that you leaked it as well?

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2009, 01:47:58 am »

talk about jumping to conclusions....

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2009, 02:26:54 am »
I don't know if they'd ban the people who started spreading it after news of the initial leak broke, but people should know that's a no-no as well.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2009, 09:44:39 am »
Nope. I'm implying that there is another leaker among us. Once more evidence is brought into play, he too will be banned.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2009, 11:57:18 am »
Yeah Faust I just read that a little while ago. I mean damn, I knew Dark Serge had a tendency to be a dick but...wow.

EDIT: Man, I just can't get over what a fucking traitorous move that was if it was in fact a real e-mail.

The email he sent had to be real. Despite the fact that "Neil" was misspelled, You have to take in account that there are a lot of grammatical errors when emailing SE support. Even if the email he posted up over in Kagero Studios was fake, he also mentioned that he had sent multiple emails to SE.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2009, 03:39:38 pm »
Nope. I'm implying that there is another leaker among us. Once more evidence is brought into play, he too will be banned.

And you know who it is?

Isnt like, holding back evidence from a court illegal?
(sorry for talking like marcy ugh!)

Not exactly saying this is a court, but still.  All knowledge would be helpful..?

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2009, 03:42:43 pm »
Belaith has already sent the message to the staff and if he hasn't the he can be tried as covering up a criminal. Laith the staff aren't going easy on anyone.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »
Belaith has already sent the message to the staff and if he hasn't the he can be tried as covering up a criminal. Laith the staff aren't going easy on anyone.

Yeah, hopefully he has.