Author Topic: Month That Could Have Been -- Chapter 7; Alpha Leakers Banned  (Read 23322 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
(begin agent 12)

Video 23
Video 24
Video 25

(end agent 12)
As you know, an old alpha version of the game was recently leaked to torrent sites. The team and Compendium administrators examined the leak and the facts of the case, and determined that the build immediately predated the one given to beta testers, thus exonerating beta testers from suspicion. We had an anonymous tip after this, and other corroborating evidence led us to the people who leaked the game. This is a complicated story, but it went like this:

• On May 9, one day after the cease & desist, Agasa brainstormed a plan to leak the game.
  • Agasa told Teaflower, who solicited a build of the game from justin3009.
  • On May 10, Teaflower, justin3009, and Arutoa met to discuss distribution.
  • Teaflower uploaded the game to Mediafire.
  • It was quickly caught, or she removed it.
  • On May 11, she left a text apology in her Mediafire share, but without a clue to the author's identity.
  • On May 30, someone from this original group, or someone who acquired it from Mediafire uploaded it to Rapidshare and several torrent sites.

It was demonstrated through chat logs of the conspirators' planning that they acknowledged the severe legal risk this would place upon the game's developers, as well as the massive threat it posted to the Chrono Compendium community. It is regrettable, but all four members mentioned herein are now permanently banned with the support of the Chrono Compendium administration and the Crimson Echoes team. We hope they will contemplate ethical behavior in the near future, and we apologize for this breach. We have to take a hard line on this.

Since this is such a serious event, we now interject something ridiculous to lighten things up:

Ridiculously awesome.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:49:17 pm by FaustWolf »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Leaker Banned
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:04:14 am »
I'm still saddened that this happened, as justin was a great member in the CT modding community.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Leaker Banned
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:06:01 am »
Whoa... Justin?  Really?  That's really... disappointing.  I always assumed he was smarter than to do something like that.  Good to know the mystery of the leaker is solved, though.  Sorry it happened, but he did put you (the CE team) at risk, as well as the Compendium as a whole.  I hate the following phrase but find it acceptable for the current situation: it is what it is.

On a brighter note, I just saw The Hangover. It was hilarious.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Alpha Leakers Banned
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:50:41 am »
Revised.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 01:55:25 am »
What the hell is going to be next?  It seems that every time I think the dust is beginning to settle more bad news and more bans come.  All of this makes my head hurt trying to keep up...shit just got real.

Boo, good to hear.  I want to see that movie.

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 01:57:37 am »
Crazy.  While I haven't been here much, I honestly can't say I'm sad to see them go.  But Teaflower seemed like a fairly big part of the compendium.  or atleast, a respected member of it.  Oh well.  Glad to see you got to the root of the alpha leak.  I wish they would have conspired to release the beta though >_>...  No offence, I don't want you to get in legal trouble or anything...  But if something was leaked, I wish it would have been that.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 02:00:05 am »
Though I'm glad to know the problem of the leaked Alpha is solved, I'm surprised of the outcome, and even more about the ones involved.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 02:02:51 am »
The official meeting place of banned members will be #outlaws on the IRC server after the server move and as I crack down on banned members using the IRC service.

Chances are they won't bother meeting there, but they'll have access.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:06:01 am »
justin3009 has a long history of contribution to Chrono exploration, and I respected him hugely. His work with Chrono Trigger techs as early as 2006 made the rest of us realize that we could dare to dream bigger things. I also knew teaflower and PSZ to be intelligent and dedicated Chrono fans. But the sad fact is, when someone's facing the clearly stated potential for a $150,000 fine and/or a court case, you just can't tempt fate like this.

It is a sad day for the Compendium. I hope all those involved learn from this episode, and understand the gravity of what they allowed to happen.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:27:25 am by FaustWolf »

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:09:00 am »
Justin3009? He was working on Playable Schala, wasn't he?

Sheeeeeeiiiit.

Guess you did what you had to, though.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:13:08 am »
The official meeting place of banned members will be #outlaws on the IRC server after the server move and as I crack down on banned members using the IRC service.

Chances are they won't bother meeting there, but they'll have access.

ill probably be hanging out there when I'm on, as to be a gatekeeper or watchman of sorts... as to not 100% alienat3 everyone...

Alienat3 refers to Alienat0r, as a reference to being evil or permabanned, if you didn't notice...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 02:20:43 am »
*sigh* The C&D has been nothing but poison for the community...I can't help but feel bad for tea at least because I think she's younger and probably more impressionable than the rest, but everyone involved did wrong and that's sad.

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 02:28:46 am »
I do feel bad for Tea and Justin, I'm good friends with them both. But what done is done.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 02:29:57 am »
I don't know Arutoa and Agasa too well, but I will miss Tea, PSZ, and Justin. They did what they thought they should do though, I hope they fully understand and accept their punishment.

I am also glad that my personal suspect was proven to be false, Sorry Maggikarp!

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 02:31:45 am »
I never knew justin (til today in irc)

I will miss both him and tea...

I mean, yeah, I agree that something like that requires a counter-action...

...but still, its sad knowing their regret.