Author Topic: Who likes to drink?  (Read 3600 times)

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music is the power of the imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Who likes to drink?
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »
A bit of a random topic, but who here likes to drink?

If you do, what types of alcohol do you like?

And please, I don't like underage drinking, so please be of age if you reply. Thanks :)

As for me, I don't like beer too much. If I do drink beer it would be Yuengling or Bud Select.
I like malt, like Smirnoff and Mike's Hard Lemonade.

But I like hard liqour the best. Especially vodka (White Russians mmm)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Who likes to drink?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:45:28 pm »
Wine and champagne FTW, baby. J Roget Brut is amazing and usually under $5.00 a pop.

If anyone's into sparkling wine, a really great thing to do is slice up strawberries and stick them in glasses of Moscatto d'Asti.

As for beer, you've just gotta go straight to the source and visit a rural Bavarian town sometime. Otherwise you're just gettin' a cheap imitation brew. That said, Heineken; Molson; and Milwaukee's Best aren't bad at all.

However, I don't believe in bars. While I appreciate the recent cultural shift toward encouraging designated drivers, I still think we need to find a better model of social drinking. Like, bars with taxi services. Or bars only at train stations. Drunk driving's gotta stop.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:49:00 pm by FaustWolf »

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:25:36 pm »
I agree with the drunk driving.

When I went to Germany a few years back, I had some of the local beers there. Oh man, they were so much better then most of the stuff here.
As for wine, I'm not a big wine drinker. I'll try that strawberry thing though. It sounds good :)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:30:48 pm »
I should probably try looking again for imported German beers now that you mention it. Moscatto d'Asti's got kind of a fruity taste to begin with, so that's why strawberries go well with it. I thought it was a crazy idea at first, but it turned out to be great.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »
Well, I don't drink often, but for drinks I have a tendancy to like things bitter. This goes for non-alcoholic (ie. dark coffee), but also holds for alcoholic. Hence, I tend to like dry red wines. I also like dark beers. Typically, ales, but also stouts. As such, I'm quite the fan of Guinness, though there are other excellent beers that I like. It's a little more 'plain' but I do like Big Rock Traditional... a darker ale brewed hereabouts. Not the most fancy of beers, but it's good all the same.

A little while back I tried this interesting beer from a brewery called Unibroque (ie. from Quebec) called Trois Pistoles. Very good tasting beer of a Belgian Strong Ale sort.

But, as I say, I don't drink often. Usually this accompanies cigars and philosophical conversation.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:19:33 pm by Daniel Krispin »

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:17:06 pm »
The only beer I'm able to drink anymore is Redbridge because of wheat/gluten sensitivity.  I know there are more gluten free beers out there, but that's all we get in my neck of the woods.  If I start drinking any other beer it will be because I've invested in brewing supplies and have begun experimenting with fermenting amaranth and buckwheat.

Vodka is great, but infused vodka is the greatest.  Ginger vodka is very easy to make, and if you're a fan of strong tasting spirits it's definitely worth a go.  Just toss some fresh ginger root in your next bottle, or better yet whole dehydrated ginger root if you can find it.  The downside is that you have to wait a week to experience the full results.  

Edit:  Since this would be on topic here, I was wondering if anybody knew of a place on the internet where I could by a cheap soda fountain, like just something to dispense carbonated water so I wouldn't have to buy it every time I went to town.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:08:41 am by Uboa »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:06:02 am »
I don't drink much. Most days I don't have any alcohol, and one drink a day is my personal limit, except for special occasions when the limit goes up to two. I never binge drink, and I'm proud to say that I've never been drunk. Having said that, I quite enjoy alcohol when the fancy hits me...

On the lighter side I enjoy hard apple cider and many varieties of fruity drinks. In the liqueur department I'm a big fan of Bailey's, Kahlua, and good curacao. I had a great cream sake the other day that smelled like rotten melon but tasted divine. When it comes to beer my favorite far and away is Guinness. I'm picky about my beers, but something dark and heavy is more likely to appeal to me. Where wine is concerned, I like kosher wines such as Kedem's sweet rose and Asti Spumanti, as well as crisp, spicy reds that are usually out of my price range, mellow whites, definitely a cold Gewurztraminer on occasion, and of course a sharp port after just the right kind of dinner. With hard liquor, my favorite is Jameson's Irish whiskey (great on ice cream, in baked beans, or neat), and I also enjoy rum (great with orange juice) and to a lesser extent vodka. I enjoy many kinds of mixed drinks, both sweet and dry, from margaritas to martinis. Possibly my favorite of all alcoholic drinks is a very well-made pina colada (poorly-made ones don't count).

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:40:12 am »
I can't say I honestly enjoy drinking very much. I prefer more worthwhile substances  :D. I've also seen alcohol destroy the lives of many people close to me.

That said, the prevalence and availability of it in our culture makes it the obvious choice of recreational drug, and I'll often find myself in a bar once a week with friends after work - usually on the weekends. And I almost always end up drinking dark beer like Shiner or Zeigenbock. I've come to the conclusion that no other beer even comes close to those two.

And a whiskey every now and then is good too. Glenlivet scotch whiskey is amazing - though expensive. And a dark secret of mine is that I actually enjoy margaritas...a lot. Delicious, delicious margaritas. I don't care if it's a chick drink. They're friggin good. That's right I said it.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:25:55 pm »
It's not technically drinking....I put Schnapps over ice cream sometimes.

Other than that, Grapefruit juice is my chosen beverage. XP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 12:49:15 pm »
Oh! You know what, maybe we can give our drinking advice here too. Never, ever, follow up a glass of champagne with a dark beer. For some reason it's like putting matter and antimatter together; closest I've ever been to a hangover. That was not a fun Christmas. However, while in that state of crushing headache, I did get ideas for a Chrono fanfic, which ultimately led me here. So I'm sort of thankful.

Also, never drink on an empty stomach, or at least don't have more than one glass/bottle on an empty stomach. I'd be interested to know the stomach contents of the typical drunk driver. ...Okay, maybe not. But still.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:11 pm »
I've never had an alcoholic beverage, and I think you should be happy for that, knowing how old I am (almost 17). One day, I'd like to try some, but not enough to get addicted. Not fond of AA meetings... though I can picture it now...

Hi, I'm teaflower and I'm an alcoholic.

... hi teaflower.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 01:25:30 pm »
Im nearly 17 also , I only drink like once every year and thats one beer on my b-day xD
I prefer Lemonade <3 its a much nicer alternative lol

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »
Oh! You know what, maybe we can give our drinking advice here too. Never, ever, follow up a glass of champagne with a dark beer.
Also, never drink on an empty stomach.

Done that. It was a bad night. I had an upset stomach for the rest of the night. lol
Also don't use milk to mix white russians. It's so thin it almost makes me gag.

I've never had an alcoholic beverage, and I think you should be happy for that, knowing how old I am (almost 17). One day, I'd like to try some, but not enough to get addicted. Not fond of AA meetings... though I can picture it now...

Hi, I'm teaflower and I'm an alcoholic.

... hi teaflower.

My dad used to drink alot after work. He started to drink heavily right after I moved to SC from NY (where he lives). He stopped now, so I'm glad for him.

I don't drink heavily, and frankly I don't like it when others do it either. So I agree with you. A casual drink is fine. I have probably 2 or 3 every other week. If it's liqour then a few shots. Now I'm not the kind of person that forgets when I do drink heavily, but I still don't like that feeling. I like buzzed more then drunk.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 07:43:40 pm »
After I went to the UK I got hooked on hard cider.  They love Strongbow there, and after having it a few times I somehow fell in love with it.  It's harder to find here in the States, and expensive, but I can make do with some Amber Woodchuck.

I also love dark lager's.  Michelob's Amberbock is cheap(er) and delicious.

Also, White Russians are a delicious way to end a delicious meal.  They're like desert to me...

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 08:05:59 pm »
I drink once per week, normally. I usually go with rum, aguardiente (made of sugar cane), whiskey and beers, but any beverage is up to consideration if available.