Author Topic: Ayone else played Chrono Trigger for the first time through the DS?  (Read 2260 times)

scorptatious

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
The first time I played Chrono Trigger was through the DS. And obviously, I had a really fun time with it. I can understand why so many people enjoyed it back on the SNES.

Has anyone else experienced this game for the first time through the DS? If so, please post what you felt playing through it. :)

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: Ayone else played Chrono Trigger for the first time through the DS?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:03:25 am »
Nah, for me it was my second.  Well I started it again but didn't even get past 600 AD.  I've played it quite a lot on DS though because I can use that a lot more than my PS1.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:11:53 pm »
I first experienced the game on the snes before we sold our games.... Sad really I had only gotten to the cathedral in 600 AD. But I never really played it because the millennial fair always made the game seem dumb to me when I was little.

When I heard it was coming to playstation, I got that bitch the first day it came out =D.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:12:25 am »
Nope... SNES, early '96.  But the first time I played it on the DS was on the DS... ;D

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:52:01 pm »
First time was actually SNES (with some ROM-esque disk attachment thing... Don't ask -- Chinese people are able to build the craziest things... basically, you were able to download ROMs, load it into the hardward of SNES, and play -- but save feature is utter fail on that).

But never got really far (lack of save)-- feel in love when I bumped into Marle. Seriously. Game is still amazing.

Got a PSOne (handed down from uncle -- same guy who got the ROM-attachment thing for my SNES)-- went to Chinatown, saw Final Fantasy Chronicles, bought.

Home, played, stuck with it, hated loading times, stuck with it, never advanced through 65 000 000 000 BC (home consoles need commitment and time...)

FINALLY: DS version port!! YES!! now at the final chapter... Training, sidequesting, etc. etc.

So basically, DS is first complete playthrough, but SNES (well, ROM thing) was my first introduction ;)

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:20:28 pm »
Hmm the load times are a pain on the PS 1.

I remember having a glitch/error/wtfjusthappenned on one my first playthrough. My characters were pretty sweet but during battle they couldn't use any items.... the item screen was blank. So what did that mean? I could never beat the Black Omen or Lavos.

I eventually just made a new game and went through without the glitch.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »
First time was actually SNES (with some ROM-esque disk attachment thing... Don't ask -- Chinese people are able to build the craziest things... basically, you were able to download ROMs, load it into the hardward of SNES, and play -- but save feature is utter fail on that).

But never got really far (lack of save)-- feel in love when I bumped into Marle. Seriously. Game is still amazing.

Got a PSOne (handed down from uncle -- same guy who got the ROM-attachment thing for my SNES)-- went to Chinatown, saw Final Fantasy Chronicles, bought.

Home, played, stuck with it, hated loading times, stuck with it, never advanced through 65 000 000 000 BC (home consoles need commitment and time...)

Believe me I know.  Especially since my parents will only let me do a half hour at a time on the home consoles.  So My first CT go through took quite a while. 

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:36:54 am »
I still haven't gotten a DS >A<

Good thing you found a relevent topic to post in then!
                                                                    ~V_Translanka

P.S. Though to be fair, quite a few people seem to be making this the, "What DID you play Chrono Trigger on first?" thread, which it just plain isn't...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:17:02 am by V_Translanka »

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55:47 am »
The first time I played Chrono Trigger was through the DS. And obviously, I had a really fun time with it. I can understand why so many people enjoyed it back on the SNES.
Great to read things like this, that people are still discovering the game on new platforms all these years on.

SNES, 1996 for me as well. My parent-enforced time limit was an hour per day, LoL.

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 03:49:10 am »
I started on the SNES myself. I played the PS1 version up to about the ocean palace before nearly putting my head through my wall dealing with the load times. Picked up the DS version a couple months ago since I never owned it for the SNES.

Great to read things like this, that people are still discovering the game on new platforms all these years on.

/agree

Shows how truly timeless this game is :D