Author Topic: being cast into 600 AD from Zeal bbl  (Read 2611 times)

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
Re: being cast into 600 AD from Zeal bbl
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 05:36:47 pm »
Yeah, Algebra's not hard, man. College Algebra is incredibly easy. I'm not even sure why I had to take it, seeing as I got the more in-depth version in seventh grade like nine or ten years ago.

Oh yeah, probably because it was nine or ten years ago!

It definitely sucks, but it's not hard. Take a couple programming classes, or just wait til Trig and Calculus. Those suck WAY worse than anything algebra has to throw at you.

You talk as if I haven't already attempted it. Also, Attention Deficit Disorder.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:39:13 pm by Captain B »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:29:37 pm »
Sorry, no offense intended.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 07:42:52 pm »
Yeah, Algebra's not hard, man. College Algebra is incredibly easy. I'm not even sure why I had to take it, seeing as I got the more in-depth version in seventh grade like nine or ten years ago.

Oh yeah, probably because it was nine or ten years ago!

It definitely sucks, but it's not hard. Take a couple programming classes, or just wait til Trig and Calculus. Those suck WAY worse than anything algebra has to throw at you.

You talk as if I haven't already attempted it. Also, Attention Deficit Disorder.
I have ADD and ADHD, and epilepsy but that has no effect here except at those legendary math rave parties,and I am a Math major in college so quit your whining.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 10:01:06 pm »
 I'm not a math major so kindly refrain from flaming.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 11:38:13 pm »
ADD is a poor excuse I hear all to frequently, I have what the doctors call a sever case and I still don't take the meds. Why? because I can easily exhibit self-control. If you just don't like it fine, but you can do it. I hate writing, I am also quite bad at it, yet I still take additional writing course to get better.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 01:50:39 pm »
 Kebrel, most cases of it are misdiagnosed. Mine is not. I've already flunked it three times throughout high school and college.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 03:36:21 pm »
I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 18. I can't stand the meds though. Diet Coke, indeed.

But when it comes to math being difficult, it's not. It's all about the teacher. If you have a teacher that wants you to understand, you'll understand. But if you have a teacher who wants to shove out the info and move on, that's exactly what your brain will do. I suggest (if you have the ability) to talk to students who have already taken the class, preferrably some who have had different teachers, and find out which one is the most lively.

Seriously, I hated Precalculus in high school. Couldn't pay attention to the boring teacher, so I didn't understand. I fell asleep in class a lot. I finally got a teacher my senior year who was loud and kinda offbeat and actually funny, and he held my attention just fine. I got an A in that class. Since leaving high school, my study skills have improved somewhat. I'm almost a straight A student at my college. A few B's.

My main problem with ADD is that for most people it's not a reason they are the way they are, it's an excuse for why they aren't the way they want to be. I actually have a friend who used to speed and drive like a maniac, narrowly missing cars and people, and whenever I could spout out syllables to articulate my feelings, usually like "JESUS FING CHRIST," he'd just shrug and say "Sorry. ADD." Then I'd tell him he was an idiot.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 03:46:26 pm »
Mental illness and things of that nature shouldn't be an excuse to not do something. I'm Bipolar and probably have Asperger's. I've been known to go from happy one minute to crying my eyes out the next. I haven't taken my medicine in almost a year, but I don't think I need to. I just calm myself down.

And indeed, math is hard. Just hope your teacher doesn't give you proofs... god I hated proofs...

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 04:28:20 pm »
Math is evil.  Always has been, always will be.  As far as ADD and ADHD go, I would say it's safe to assume that each person's case is unique to them.  My brother was diagnosed with ADD, I never bought it, neither did my Dad.  Did it help him in the long run?  Sure.  I'm trailing away from what's really at stake here....

MATH IS EVIL!!! 

And I HATE the arguments about how finite it is.  Don't buy into it! Kill that bitch, Cap'n B!

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 12:47:12 am »
Bekkler you remind me of the course syllabus:

Tips from my former students:

*Don't take an algebra course in the summer!

Summer Algebra condenses into 8 weeks, but for me that beats out having to take it with three other classes all competing for attention and focus (as in Fall and Spring semesters. I need to eat more nuts.)

If you do take Algebra in the summer, don't take any other classes along with it!

Not a problem. Dropped American government for another date. Dis algebra shit needs to die now, with another course or by itself.  Only problem is, Campus was supposed to reimburse me by now, and hasn't. So, I can't go get the algebra textbook. Hence why I'm still here. -_-

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 01:16:43 am »
Name? volume? the ISBN? It could be online or something.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »
That'd be great if I had the money for it. Gotta wait till friday at the most. Paycheck.

Jacques Strappe

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:05 pm »
In order to "Get" math when you're not a math-head you have to eat,sleep,and drink it.  You have to turn it upside down and inside out an hundred times and apply it to everything you have. Tell stories using it, even.  If Magus knocked Glenn from a cliff at the height of 432 feet, given acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s/s and a weight of 132.5 lbs, how many lbs/in^2 would his feet hit the ground with given a surface area of 42.4 square inches, ignoring wind resistance?