Author Topic: Videos Part 2 & 3 & Other Comment  (Read 6700 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Videos Part 2 & 3 & Other Comment
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:10 pm »
IF youtube removes these, is there going to be a backup plan? I just don't trust them to keep this material up if anyone reports it, and I can't live with not seeing this in its entirety.
We chose Youtube due to the lovely commentary system they have, but I'll make an archive of the original video files available as well, just as soon as I've got them all processed. I think utunnels has offered to upload them to another video site that would be accessible to those who may not be able to follow at Youtube.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 01:55:11 pm »
YouTube "closed captions" can be ripped and converted to Windows subtitle format (.srt), but I don't think there's a way to rip YouTube "annotations", unfortunately.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 02:37:32 pm »
AHKAJFHLKSJGDHLKSGHLFD I must know what happens next!! To poor Glenn! To be cut off in the middle of a climax...devastating! I must survive until the next update...somehow...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 02:44:06 pm »
At the risk of divulging a spoiler, Glenn's likely to pull out a can of whoopass on that henchman.

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 03:08:08 pm »
I've been watching the videos, and I must say that the game would have been totally awesome.  It is almost playing out as a movie.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 03:12:12 pm »
So Robo sleeps on the floor instead...

That happens in CT too, depending on what Inns you choose to sleep in (Current theory: Robo knows his own weight and can scan beds for stability! :lol:)...

To do my little part, I sold Star Ocean: The Last Hope, thus depriving Square of revenue from a prospective buyer of a new copy, have posted about this incident in many other forums, have made reference to it at Amazon, Pricegrabber, and elsewhere, and won't be buying games from them in the future.

That doesn't deprive them of revenue, because the middle-man (i.e. game stores) buys them first, so those are the only people you're really depriving of any moneys. All that does is mess with their records on what games are popular and thus the only real impact would probably be of making them less likely to further w/e series you're doing that for...Though now-a-days I'm sure they have ways of tracking returns and re-sales...I also don't see what not buying games from them would do...Especially since I have my doubts as to whether or not SE Japan even has a clue this happened (I've said before that it stinks more of over-reactionary American legal politics)...certainly SE's development teams didn't know or have a hand in this...why punish them for something the American legal team did?

To all with similar notions, I say this: Take your frustrations out by making a fan-creation of your own of some kind! It doesn't have to be a fancy hack or game mod, but a fanfic or fanart! Get some of that Springtime of Youth ZeaLitY's always preaching!

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 05:39:22 pm »
I need assistance... please...

I have tried and tried to solve this problem myself and it's driving me nuts. I tried all the basic trouble shooting I could and then some...

What happens is the video runs, but it flickers like crazy, the flickering happens within a split second, it is hard to take a pic of it while it plays let alone pause it on a flicker moment. I"VE TRIED EVERYTHING  :(

NOTE: it happens at such a rate that I often have to pause to read stuff... it is incredibly obstructive to my viewing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:41:14 pm by Rickets »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 06:14:53 pm »
Rickets, does this happen to you with other Youtube videos? Does it happen with the "Death is Nothing to the Reaper" preview (first vid on the CEMemorial playlist)?

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 06:15:53 pm »
Weird...How do other videos (flash and any other videos you watch) look; do they flicker? Also, have you tried upgrading your browser or viewing it on an alternate browser?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »
Does it repro on multiple browsers? What version of firefox are you using?

--JP

quintin3265

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 06:33:38 pm »
So Robo sleeps on the floor instead...

That happens in CT too, depending on what Inns you choose to sleep in (Current theory: Robo knows his own weight and can scan beds for stability! :lol:)...

To do my little part, I sold Star Ocean: The Last Hope, thus depriving Square of revenue from a prospective buyer of a new copy, have posted about this incident in many other forums, have made reference to it at Amazon, Pricegrabber, and elsewhere, and won't be buying games from them in the future.

That doesn't deprive them of revenue, because the middle-man (i.e. game stores) buys them first, so those are the only people you're really depriving of any moneys. All that does is mess with their records on what games are popular and thus the only real impact would probably be of making them less likely to further w/e series you're doing that for...Though now-a-days I'm sure they have ways of tracking returns and re-sales...I also don't see what not buying games from them would do...Especially since I have my doubts as to whether or not SE Japan even has a clue this happened (I've said before that it stinks more of over-reactionary American legal politics)...certainly SE's development teams didn't know or have a hand in this...why punish them for something the American legal team did?

To all with similar notions, I say this: Take your frustrations out by making a fan-creation of your own of some kind! It doesn't have to be a fancy hack or game mod, but a fanfic or fanart! Get some of that Springtime of Youth ZeaLitY's always preaching!

Well, but it all moves up the chain.  I sold it on eBay, so that means that there was one fewer person who bought the game from a retail outlet, which means that the retail outlet will either buy less product because they are overstocked, or will lower their orders by one unit for future Square games.

I agree that it's a good idea to create things of your own when frustrated - I created an entire video game music site.  But I'm saying that you shouldn't create anything that has to do with Square.  There are plenty of other ideas out there, so create something that's original or from a different company's series.

Also, I'm not sure that it's relevant which branches of Square knew about the letter.  If the Japanese branch didn't know and disapproved of the letter after it was sent, then it's their fault for not keeping their employees in line.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 06:35:41 pm »
Quote from: Agent 12
Does it repro on multiple browsers?
*sigh* I'm missing bug testing already. :(

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 06:58:31 pm »
Kasmir... Is that a new character now?

Nooo poor Glenn and poor Cyrus -- wtf Cyrus no exists? MASAMUNE :O !!

Come on whole can on woopass time ;) !! (Though I did see a Glenn vs Magus in a preview -- interesting...)

BTW -- is Glenn's personality changed? He seems more *asshole* than in CT:DS translations. What happened in the *new* 600AD-605AD vs the original? How was Magus' own stories affected? How does Schala now fit in the Dream Devourer CT:DS ending?

Agghhh damn C&D :'( ... Though, I am loving the videos (its like a movie) !!

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 07:19:59 pm »
To get rid of Magus, "Zeal" picks up the Masamune, hurts him and escapes with it. "Zeal"’s removal of the Masamune alters the timeline. (He wouldn't have bothered picking it up if the party and Magus hadn't intervened.) In the Middle Ages, things played out mostly the same in the early years of the Mystic War, except Cyrus was just a talented soldier, not "the legendary Hero". Chivalry and knighthood was less prevalent. Cyrus and Glenn die as ordinary soldiers and people quickly forget their names. Kasmir lives on to become a powerful Mystic illusionist instead of dying young. Without Frog's counsels and without the link to the honor code that the Masamune represented, the Guardians continued the war in 600 A.D. even after Magus's disappearance. The Mystics were forced to keep on fighting and were reunited by Kasmir, who became the new Mystic leader. In 605 A.D., a bewildered time-traveling Glenn returns from the CT Lavos quest and founds the Vanguard to try to restore peace quickly. However, the war drags on until about 650 A.D. (That's before Crono's party begins to interfere though.)

---
This time around, Glenn is haunted with the feeling of having no place to call home. He has been "lost" ever since 590 A.D. when his friend Cyrus died (in the original timeline I mean) and he went into hiding in the wilderness as a mere frog-man. This repressed feeling was made worse after "Zeal" stole the Masamune in 11,995 B.C., as Glenn found himself in an alternate 600 A.D. in which Cyrus was never a hero and the Mystic War dragged on for decades, while people thinks he has delusional disorders due to his mumblings about the differences between his original timeline and this alternate, Masamune-less timeline...

Most people accept Glenn overall since he does create the Vanguard, but a few still think his mind isn't exactly sane. Without the King's protection, people would have thought he was crazy when he appeared out of nowhere in 600 A.D. talking about the war being over and Cyrus and him being heroes.

---
In the original timeline, Kasmir was killed early in the war (probably by the Hero Cyrus) before he managed to develop his illusory spells. In the modified timeline, Cyrus died first and events changed so that Kasmir lived on and went on to become Magus's successor.

Kasmir knows a spell that allows him to create illusions of himself. Tons of battles happened between 600 and 605 A.D., but everytime Kasmir was defeated it was really just an illusion, while the real Kasmir has always remained safely hidden from the battlefields in his hidden fortress.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:28:59 pm by Chrono'99 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 07:27:14 pm »
um......ditto :)

Most of the above is shown through dialogue, there's also a "history of kasmir" story in a book in the 1005 AD Vanguard.  The vanguard isn't in 1005 at first obviously since it doesn't exist, but after the masamune is removed (i.e. once chapter 4 begins) the vanguard appears on the overworld in 1005 AD. It has a library which talks about Kasmir's history.

--JP