Author Topic: Radical Dreamers Sprite CT style  (Read 16119 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Radical Dreamers Sprite CT style
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 10:35:16 pm »
There are no more Chrono rom hacks, Tact.  The C&D shut them all down.  This here is just for kicks and giggles.

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2009, 07:27:21 am »
This has already been stated to be an RM2k3 fan project.

What Square is doing is really quite pointless... Even if they shut down all the current hacks, more will still be made.
The only way to truly stop it would be to hire all of us, or kill us.

ROM hacks are kind of like the common cold, you can lessen the effects but the bug is still going to go its course.

That said, I understand why they are doing it, even if pointless. With the release of the DS travesty, they have an opportunity to make more money one something they've butchered and slapped on yet another system.

ROM hacks have the potential (due to being on the same quality as the Travesty or better) to offset their profits...(in their mind)
That and they're a vindictive bunch of asses since the last few years.

Regardless of all that, these sprites, I eagerly await final products.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 09:52:57 am »
Even if they shut down all the current hacks, more will still be made.

And how many will actually be completed?

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 11:53:48 am »
Even if they shut down all the current hacks, more will still be made.

And how many will actually be completed?

How many ever are anyway? Most just stop, but still get downloaded regularly anyway...

But I've said what I was gonna say about that, this topic is about (really freaking epic) sprites.

I'm half tempted to use the Serge sprite for my game... but then I'm not sure... Is Serge more a fisherman or more a bard?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2009, 01:28:53 am »
I'm half tempted to use the Serge sprite for my game... but then I'm not sure... Is Serge more a fisherman or more a bard?
Bard in RD, fisherman in CC. xD

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 07:36:12 pm »
When does Serge ever fish in CC? Just because you live in a fisherman's village and your father was a fisherman doesn't mean you have to be a fisherman too. He's not Korcha, at least...*shudders*

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2009, 07:43:22 pm »
Well, in one of the endings he does become one.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2009, 08:23:26 pm »
Well... he fights with a sharpened oar.... he lives in a fishing village... most of his life is related to water

And technically just because he had a lute(mandolin?) doesn't make him a bard either...

But my question was, which is more in tune with his character?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2009, 08:37:48 pm »
That greatly depends, as taking both RD and CC into account is like he is two different persons. It all depends on the setting he was in. In RD he is a traveling musician, so a bard is definetly closer than fisherman in that case.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 08:52:51 pm »
Ok, factor in that I'm working on a game that involves all possible timelines reaching their equilibrium point...

So, is Serge more important to the universe as a bard... or a fisherman.

Chromaticed

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Hee hee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2009, 04:50:47 pm »
Well I don't know much of what he did as a bard, but as a fisherman he just saved the world from ultimately being devoured by some princess/beast.

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 10:19:32 pm »
Wow, these are looking great! :) The revised Kid looks fantastic. I wish there was maybe another color or two for shading on her hair, but that's just a minor suggestion; it really does look great as it is. Magus and Serge are very impressive as well!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 08:40:25 pm »
I'm a little late to the party here, but I have a few suggestions:

1. My big suggestion is that you increase the contrast in your sprites to make them look more distinctive at the macroscopic level. It may seem counterintuitive, but by introducing weird color combinations at the pixel level you can perform some remarkable sleight of hand. The easy thing to do would be to look at these sprites and ask yourself which parts of them are likely to get hit with a lot of light. Make those pixels a much lighter shade in the same color. The hard step, which comes afterwards, is to throw in a few "subversive elements"--for instance, a well-placed bright yellow pixel or two can really bring out Magil's purple ensemble. Purple and yellow? Sounds crazy--but try it and see what you get.

2. My second suggestion is just a nitpick: Kid in Radical Dreamers has hair that is closer to platinum; you've depicted her as having corn yellow hair, which just doesn't fit my image of her. Then again, they're your sprites and not mine, and, like I said, it's just a nitpick. =)

3. Your Magil sprite looks more like Magus from Chrono Trigger than Magil from RD. The Magil graphics suggests that his costume ought to be bigger and a little less sleek. You might also open up his face a little bit: There's a lot going on there.

Anyhow, nice work! It's always good to see Radical Dreamers getting some attention.

F-546

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Dondake Fansub
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2009, 01:31:56 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Which is the best?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2009, 05:27:43 am »
I definitely like what you've one with Kid No. 1's hair. If it were me, I'd intensify the brightest colors on her outfit some more. The brightest orange, for instance, could become an even brighter orange. (I mixed this myself with some decent results.) Blown up to size, it looks like she's glowing. But at gameplay resolution, it provides good contrast.

For Magil, I like No. 3 the most...except that that is definitely not his color! The contrasts on No. 2 are better than on No. 1, but the colors on No. 1 are better than those on No. 2. Ah! Such is life...

Good work, all the same. Did you design these from scratch, or did you import other sprites and modify them?