Author Topic: "Crimson Echoes: The Month that Could Have Been" starts NOW!  (Read 23355 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: "Crimson Echoes: The Month that Could Have Been" starts NOW!
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 11:11:31 pm »
Wait, there's a leak?

Is it bad for me to say, "I MUST HAVE IT?"

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 11:20:33 pm »
Wait, there's a leak?

No, its a really buggy test version, and nothing like what they're showing on YouTube. (I couldn't contain my curiosity.)

FaustWolf is right, it is practically an alpha, without any polishing and without many customizations (portraits, dialogue, music).

(On a personal note... I remember dying on one of the debug chapters and I was able to move... With the dead bodies.... I think that was the same chapter that had messed up background palettes... Yeah I dunno wtf?  :x )

In other words, 98% has not been leaked, is probably destroyed pretty thoroughly (or hidden in some deep dark pit, in some black chest able to survive the ages, to be open in some other time when dreams can finally become reality...). The best out there of 98% CE is on Youtube... And that version is really amazing ;) .

(Btw, I was wondering -- were there any *new* tracks added to the game? Because the preview videos had some really nice music, and I'm curious as to whether or not some new additions were put in?)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:27:35 pm by Happy-Dude »

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 11:21:10 pm »
Wait, there's a leak?

Glad you didn't make it.
The spam on 30 May is the event that should be keep secret. sheesh......

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 11:21:22 pm »
Yes, extremely bad. The terms of the C+D mean that JP and Zeality have to help Square hunt down and kill any copies of the alpha that they find.

Also, JP and Zeality don't want anyone playing the alpha because it reflects badly on the finished project.

Magus-X

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 11:23:38 pm »
So when will they release Crimson Echoes or when do they think it will be release?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 11:24:05 pm »
So when will they release Crimson Echoes or when do they think it will be release?

u dont read very good, do u?

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 11:24:46 pm »

The day after Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

Kenji

• Fan Project Leader
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ideologues
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
I'm definitely subscribing to this channel.  Regardless of whether there's a leak or not, it's best to see the closest-to-final product rather than some buggy, incomplete alpha version.  Obviously, the CE team feels the same way.

It's a shame I won't be able to play it.  I've heard that the game was deliciously hard... but, c'est la vie...

At I can check out the story that you guys have put together.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 12:15:04 am »
I personally loved how difficult the alpha was, but with difficulty rebalancing it would have been accessible, difficulty-wise, to a wider variety of gamers. The Chrono games have always been known to be kind of on the easy side I think. At the end of development CE was shaping up to be very challenging, but not bite-your-controller challenging.

Quote from: Happy Dude
(Btw, I was wondering -- were there any *new* tracks added to the game? Because the preview videos had some really nice music, and I'm curious as to whether or not some new additions were put in?)
I'm not really in the best position to field this one, but from what I understand there were definitely plans to put in new music. Claado Shou (of Chrono Symphonic fame) actually composed some really nice pieces specifically for CE. Sadly, that was a good chunk of the final 2%. However, if you've seen the preview videos and some of my experimental Youtube videos you know that I like to do kickass things with audio. So, while I couldn't possibly reprocess 30 odd hours worth of audio, expect some surprises along the way. :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:28:48 am by FaustWolf »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 12:18:51 am »
That didn't bother me before,  but I begin to think: why those NPCs keep marking time?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:22:12 am by utunnels »

Kenji

• Fan Project Leader
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ideologues
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 01:14:09 am »
I personally loved how difficult the alpha was, but with difficulty rebalancing it would have been accessible, difficulty-wise, to a wider variety of gamers. The Chrono games have always been known to be kind of on the easy side I think. At the end of development CE was shaping up to be very challenging, but not bite-your-controller challenging.
It's been so long since I've last seen footage from CE (the association is something I've forgotten, I was getting massive deja vu as I watched the vids), but I do remember the beast fights being rather tough.

Yeah, I'm very fond of challenge, myself.  I'm also one of those who thought (and moreso as time went on) that CT was too easy, so any increase in challenge was welcome to me. :)

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 01:17:55 am »
I'll sound like a complete ignoramus in asking, but is there a more technical difference between an alpha and a beta, beyond the simple comparison of a draft?

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 01:25:18 am »
Both are incomplete, and both may remain buggy, but the alpha is usually more buggy and less polished. Alphas have a lot of elements not seen in the final or the beta. Like some of the sprites in CT and the concept of the Epoch being a land vehicle.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 01:25:49 am »
We think of it as an alpha because it's in the state it was before beta testing even started, basically. The skeleton and text placeholders were there, but no polish and lacked many of the features implemented during the beta phase.

So yeah, what tea said.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 02:06:45 am »
Then enlighten me, oh Enlightened Ones!

When exactly was the Alpha version released? What are (some of) the features that the Alpha version lacks but the Beta version has?