Author Topic: Square Enix E3 Announcement  (Read 4796 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Square Enix E3 Announcement
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:17:58 pm »
Back to some good ol' hype:

http://www.ffinsider.net/2009/05/26/square-plans-to-announce-three-new-titles-at-e309.php
http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/SquareatE3.aspx

[...]word is starting to spread regarding Square's secrets for this year's show. Scuttlebutt is, Square will be revealing not one, not two but THREE un-announced titles this year.

However, that's not the best part - two of these are supposedly sequels to their "bigger franchises".

The sequel part could be just rumour, but hell if there isn't a chance of a new Chrono installment. After CTDS's success and seeing Square's usual method of "make a port of a classic RPG, release a sequel after testing the waters", there's a nice possibility. :kamina

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Square Enix E3 Announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:24:05 pm »
I agree Pyt, this is likely the the most probable time for a Chrono sequel to be announced. But is it big enough to be considered one of their "bigger" franchises?

Let's see what these fellas have up their sleeves.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:38:41 pm »
My money would be on another Final Fantasy spinoff or sequel, and another Kingdom Hearts entry. I don't know that they'd consider Chrono to be one of their 'bigger franchises' at this point, seeing as there hasn't been a proper entry in the series for 10 years.

Maybe if the DS version of CT has had real stellar sales compared to some of their other stuff of late, I could see it being the third one. That might actually restore an ounce of respect, as perhaps they didn't want a fangame coming out right before their announcement. Even still though...

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »
Keep your pants on, it's probably just a new FF, DQ, and KH, their three favorite cashcows.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:05:40 pm »
FF, DQ & KH already have sequels in the works that have been announced...Well, FF & DQ anyways (there is no numbered KH)...Though I suppose that doesn't say "direct" sequel, I'll still chalk it up as hope, along with their odd C&D timing, for a new Chrono sequel...but then, I always do...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:12:55 pm »
#1? http://kotaku.com/5211953/square-enix-planning-new-evolved-front-mission

#2? http://darkedensite.blogspot.com/2009/05/square-to-announce-nier-for-2010.html

#3? No idea...

Concerning KH:

Square Enix have already got off to a bad start by announcing that many of their Japanese staff won't be travelling to E3 due to scares about Swine Flu. This includes Tetsuya Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts team, so right off the bat this means that very little will likely be shown about Final Fantasy Versus XIII. It could also rule out the long awaited announcement about the next Kingdom Hearts game; Kingdom Hearts 3.

In any case, keep in mind that nowadays, generally, the first places where we learn about new games are the trademark offices and rating boards, not these gaming shows. I don't think we've seen any SE trademark that looks Chrono-related recently, apart from "Echoes of Time" which turned out to be a Crystal Chronicles game. They could still surprise us with a game called Chrono Trigger 2 or Chrono Cross 2 though, maybe (as they don't need to register new trademarks for these).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:41:33 pm by Chrono'99 »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »
Well, if you believe Wikipedia, Chrono Brake is still registered in Japan.

I don't have any faith at all in them announcing a Chrono game though. After all these years and after what they pulled? Nah, I just can't believe in that anymore.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:46 pm »
I am always up for a new Front Mission game though, still I will do my part and have my fingers crossed for a Chrono game.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 02:17:55 pm »
Square Enix have already got off to a bad start by announcing that many of their Japanese staff won't be travelling to E3 due to scares about Swine Flu...

Hamthrax strikes again!

Anywho, I would not be terribly surprised if SE announced a new Chrono game at E3, only to send themselves a C&D letter a month later.

But to be serious, this might mean a new Mana installment. Or another Star Ocean. Unfortunately, Square has a lot popular game franchises to work with, so the info could mean a lot of things.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 03:06:47 pm »
Koichi Ishii was fired left Square Enix one month after the release of Heroes of Mana, so I doubt the Mana series is still considered alive now. But who knows. Tanaka (SoM and SD3 director) could be assigned to revive that series.

EDIT: Found #3. It's the infamous Project Rapture:

http://squaremmo.blogspot.com/2008/12/mmorpg-confirmed-for-e3-2009.html

We still don't know what franchise this MMORPG will be part of...

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:46 pm »
FFXIV
Rapture

I'm pretty sure they don't want another front mission to come to America.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08:24 pm »
Then it's probably KHIII, as they have been known to be working on that. Seriously, it's just not going to happen. And imagine what it would be like if they announced such a thing. 5/10 of the audience would be like "Where did that come from?", 3/10 will be like "HELL YEAH A NEW CHRONO GAME" and 2/10 would be like "What's Chrono Trigger".

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:36:17 pm »
The are not making a KH3. Nomura said that right now he is just focusing on vs13 and the three KH games that are being made will explain the ending to KH2.  There have been no plans to make KH3.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 08:31:39 pm »
Actually, I heard that the KH franchise will eventually continue with a KH3.  Normura said that the series will end just as it begun: with Sora, in the form of a third KH.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »
KH3 has to be done. It's the only way the true ending where they get yet another bottle message from Mickey can be explained. Knights in armor battling years before the events of KH wouldn't explain it. A trip to the past wouldn't explain it. And revisiting Roxas and his days in Organization XIII won't explain it. To not do one would be like having a laser pointer in front of your cat and/or dog and yeah, you let them run around, but you never stop. Never let them catch it.

And I'd consider it one of their bigger franchises. I wouldn't say this before but I see a lot more people saying they love CT ever since it came on the DS, many even going as far as to call it the best game of all time! Ever since the DS version of CT it's become a lot more known now. They just needed to re-release it and make it well known and advertised, which they did not grandly but a decent job this time unlike the PS versions(one had no advertising and was impossible to find and the other just happened to be a "bonus" to a FF game). Not to mention as big as DQ is, it doesn't seem to be one of those series where once everyone's played they continue to cherish it always. Proof? How popular is the one on the Wii? How many people actually knew what it was before VIII? And as for VIII, it was big when it came out but not long after no one had quite as much interest in it. It seemed to be one of those "ooo looks pretty I'm getting it" games that later on collects dust.

Not to mention SE has plenty of smaller games but how many have plenty of games in their series? FF has plenty, KH, DQ, Chrono has made a good number of appearances. None of their other series have had plenty of games made, not even remakes.