Author Topic: Chrono sequel - Let's cross the dimensions for a sec  (Read 4879 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono sequel - Let's cross the dimensions for a sec
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 01:41:46 pm »
Main questions:
- New location? If yes, what kind of setting would it have to be?

Each game in the main series has one-up'ed the real world. We're limited to 3d movement, but CT allowed for 4d movement, and one might say that CC allowed for 5d movement. So, logically, CNext should allow for "6d movement." That is to say, Home World and Another world could belong to the same reality. The laws of physics were exactly the same between them. CNext should have totally separate "realities," universes that function on fundamentally different values. If pi=3.14 in the Chrono-Reality we are familiar with, then perhaps pi=aardvark in a different reality. To help illustrate what I mean, the Chrono-Reality we know is largely based on the real world. CNext should include travel to realities like those presented in ReBoot/Kid Radd (sans the users) and Unicorn Jelly.

That being said, it be entirely lovely if it could include a hefty dose of 5d, 4d, and even 3d movement. In addition to seeing fundamentally different realities, I'd love to explore other dimensions, time periods, and locations. Maybe a planet that was infected by a Lavos and didn't have heroes to save it, for example. Or a Dimension where Lavos never fell, or a renaissance period to go with the Middle Ages we've already seen. Etc.

- New cast of characters?  If yes, what kind of characters would you like to see?

Well this is a given: No, absolutely no, CT or CC character should return as a playable character (but potentially as NPCs). So we'd need a whole new cast of characters. Following from the above and trends established in other games, at least one should be from each "reality," and possibly from each dimension, time period, and location. That said, the cast should be limited to around 9 characters, assuming each serves a strategic purpose and is fully developed. Thus we might have aliens or strange beings from another reality. Other than those vague outlines, I don't really have any specifics...

Except that the Main Character's name needs to start with K (because Crono's name starts with a C, and a C can have an S sound, as in Serge, or a K sound, as in this hero).

- New Lavos creature or a new version of Lavos? Or an entirely new enemy? Who should be the antagonist in this game?

Well a lavos-like creature is essentially assumed. Though just as the Lavos from CC wasn't the exact same as in CT, the CNext Lavos would be more different still. Perhaps a multi-reality being, or the progenitor of the race. But I could see Belthasar as being a significant antagonist in the game. As per tradition, the original antagonist shouldn't be the final antagonist.

- Time travel and / or dimension crossing? Yes or no? Or something completely new? If yes, what?

I covered this under "locations." Time travel and dimensional crossing would be very nice, but not necessary. And space travel, again while nice, is far too mundane to carry the game.

- New gameplay or not? New battle system? New magic? Also let's hear any good gameplay ideas you have.

Yes, new game play. I would eliminate forced random battles, probably going with a more SoM-esq feel for the field. While there might still be minor battles, each one would ideally have a reason (fighting ones way through a military base, for example, would be battle intensive while strolling through the woods, not so much). Boss fights in particular would need to return to a more CT based style, with each boss having a reason for being there. CC had too many random boss battles.

- Who would have to draw the characters? Do you want Mr. Toriyama back, or Nobuteru? Or someone else?

Totally doesn't matter.

- Name the characters who would definitely, no matter what, have to make a cameo appearance. Can be anything, from playable characters to NPC's to Nu's.

Have to? Absolutely none. But it would be terribly nice if Gaspar and Melchior made appearances, along with a select cast of CT and CC (Robo, Schala, Lynx/FATE, etc)

- Which time period has to be in it no matter what?

None. Time periods could be totally done away with (well, other than the "Present"). However, a classical and renaissance time period would be lovely, along with other "cultural" time periods (Feudal Japan, Pharaotic Egypt, etc).

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 02:58:22 pm »
What about combination between world map and locations? Would you guys want it like Chrono Trigger, with towns on the world map, and you enter houses from there? Or like Chrono Cross, the entire location as a whole on the world map and you navigate a town rather than just the world map.

like cross plox!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 05:14:58 pm »
Except that the Main Character's name needs to start with K (because Crono's name starts with a C, and a C can have an S sound, as in Serge, or a K sound, as in this hero).

"C" can also make the "CH" sound, the "X" sound, and, in conjunction with "I," the "SH" sound and "SCH" sounds. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I hope it's someplace good!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 06:22:09 pm »
"C" can also make the "CH" sound, the "X" sound, and, in conjunction with "I," the "SH" sound and "SCH" sounds. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I hope it's someplace good!

If one is following my logic for naming conventions, then you are going to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th installments in the series. A lovely place to be.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 06:30:33 pm »
While we're on the subject of a main character...

I'd like to know more about what you guys want with that. I'm talking about the main main character, the obvious leader. Firstly, should he be a silent protagonist again? Or should the main character talk this time around? What should he (or she??) be like? Cool, tough, and good looking like Serge and Chrono? Any traits? Should it be a boy or a girl? Or something entirely new?

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »
Should it be a boy or a girl?
How about, (just to be kind of contrary and silly), NEITHER!   :lol:  :wink: Some young nongendered being.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:38:21 pm by Vehek »

desrever

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 08:34:41 pm »
Space alien? Like Starky? Doesn't know how to talk in a language that people understand, so it keeps it's mouth shut. :lol:

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:33 pm »
It would be interesting to make the main character actually mute, so that he or she is forced to communicate in other ways.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 08:41:40 pm »

If one is following my logic for naming conventions, then you are going to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th installments in the series. A lovely place to be.

From CT:DS, developer's ending:

Kiyoshi Yoshii: Ah, yes, such a moving story in that 128th entry to the Chrono
series! What? Oh no, this must be the wrong era!

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 08:45:46 pm »
It would be interesting to make the main character actually mute, so that he or she is forced to communicate in other ways.
Nope, that would be considered lame, FaustWolf. Nobody likes a mute.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 08:55:47 pm »
While we're on the subject of a main character...

I'd like to know more about what you guys want with that. I'm talking about the main main character, the obvious leader. Firstly, should he be a silent protagonist again? Or should the main character talk this time around? What should he (or she??) be like? Cool, tough, and good looking like Serge and Chrono? Any traits? Should it be a boy or a girl? Or something entirely new?

Speech: Serge in RD wasn't a silent protagonist; CC was adapted to silence to make him more reminiscent of Crono. Such a deliberate change seems to cement this as a hallmark of the series; however, it's not too late to change course. If the third main sequence game featured the same, then there would be a precedent of three, and that's vastly harder to overturn than a precedent of two. Since I'm really not satisfied with the silent protagonist concept, I'd probably deliberately make the main protagonist a speaking character with plenty of lines.

Sex: I like exposing people to new ideas, and broadening their horizons. If more male gamers could be shown that playing a female main is not boring or demeaning, I'd consider that a good thing. In the Chrono series, the sex of the main protagonist has never been especially relevant to the story, so it wouldn't buck any meaningful traditions to go female this time.

Style: Crono was kind of a "big, lovable brute" who liked to act before thinking. Serge was much more contemplative and gentle (especially so in RD). These differences have prevented a precedent from forming and thus open up the personality of future mains. I have no idea what I'd do with a character under my design in the next game. My thinking would depend heavily on the plot and on the co-starring cast. I do like the idea of making an adventuresome character, because that would seem to be a nice contrast to the more cerebral tone that I would undoubtedly take with any game of mine.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 09:27:59 pm »
Nope, that would be considered lame, FaustWolf. Nobody likes a mute.

You're just looking at it wrong...

Mute+Girl=Sex

Oh, and there should be ninjas because the Chrono series is in desperate need of ninjas. Did I say that already?

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 09:29:09 pm »
No, but you should've.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 09:35:08 pm »
Now that the news has been released, I am officially commandeering this thread from Dark Serge and bequeathing it unto the community. But remember: He started this thread with unknown intent, so be sure to protect any specific ideas you have with the veil of generality.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 06:27:09 pm »
A couple things.

Speech: Serge in RD wasn't a silent protagonist; CC was adapted to silence to make him more reminiscent of Crono. Such a deliberate change seems to cement this as a hallmark of the series; however, it's not too late to change course. If the third main sequence game featured the same, then there would be a precedent of three, and that's vastly harder to overturn than a precedent of two. Since I'm really not satisfied with the silent protagonist concept, I'd probably deliberately make the main protagonist a speaking character with plenty of lines.

Um, I disagree for one reason. I want Brake to be the final Chrono game. Mainly because It seems like a Trilogy game to me not a series. Much like Secret of Mana was awesome until they turned it into a series and not what it was. Chrono is a continuous story, maybe not in concrete characters and plot but in spirit and abstract unfinished story. So take a way one of the hallmarks of the series in the final game would make me mad.

Sex: I like exposing people to new ideas, and broadening their horizons. If more male gamers could be shown that playing a female main is not boring or demeaning, I'd consider that a good thing. In the Chrono series, the sex of the main protagonist has never been especially relevant to the story, so it wouldn't buck any meaningful traditions to go female this time.

Gender doesn't matter. I'd prefer a male because I hate all these sex jokes about Lightning that have popped up and I don't want the Chrono Series to suffer that idiocy. Especially with a mute character.

He started this thread with unknown intent, so be sure to protect any specific ideas you have with the veil of generality.

too late