Author Topic: Profiteer Purse and the Money Cat  (Read 1065 times)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Profiteer Purse and the Money Cat
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:29:48 am »
Profiteer Purse is an accessory in Chrono Cross, which increases your money received from battle.
It is translated as Wallet in Chrono Trigger, and the effect is much different.

As the Encyclopedia says, the original name means Echigoya's Wallet .
Quote from: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Wallet.html
The Mitsui Echigoya is a large and prosperous merchant group in Japan, dating back to the dry goods store Echigoya which was established in 1673. The implication is that it's not just a wallet, but one with lots of money.

And I also heard a lore about the Lucky Cat (aka Money Cat):

Echigoya had 2 main hobbies: gambling and playing with his cat Tama. Because he indulged himself in gambling, he lost all his fortune. One day, his cat gave his a gold coin and hoped that he could started his business again with that coin. But Echigoya lost the gold coin again in gambling. He asked his cat for another coin, and the cat really found another coin for him. Unfortunately, Echigoya rushed to the gambling house and lost the coin quickly. When he came back depressed, he found his cat being sick. It seemed each time the cat brought him a coin, it became thinner than before. Another day, the cat walked outdoor, and Echigoya followed it. Soon he saw the cat pray: take away some of my hands, take away some of my feet, give me some gold coins.... take away some of my stomach, take away some of my fur, give me some gold coins... each time it prayed, he became smaller and thinner. Before Echigoya could stop it, the cat vanished and left 3 gold coins. Echigoya was shocked by that, he swore he would make good use of the coins which Tama traded its own life for. Finally, he gave up gambling and became a wealthy man...

However, this is only one of those lores about Lucky Cat, unfortunately I couldn't find a English version, correct me if the story is not accurate.

I don't know whether Echigoya's story has something to do with Van's family, but see, there's also a Money Cat in Van's room:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:43:08 am by utunnels »