Poll

If Chrono came out on, let's say PS2, do you think you still would've gotten to it?

Yes
14 (73.7%)
No
5 (26.3%)
Change it to Gamecube and yes
0 (0%)
Change it to Xbox yes
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Do you think you'd have discovered Chrono if it came out on a later system?  (Read 2969 times)

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
A thought.

Many games have sucked or went unnoticed and could've been even more well known and popular had they been released at a different time.

Had Conker come out earlier in the N64's life rather than a few months before the PS2 came out he would be one of the biggest names we know right now.
Soul Calibur Legends was bad, but only by today's standards. Had it come for the early Gamecube, PS2, Xbox generation it still wouldn't much better but it'd at least be going from say a 3/10 to a 6/10.

So I ask this, if Chrono has come out on a later system than it had, would you still take interest in it?

Personally I would since what attracted me was the whole time travel concept and even though it hasn't been used all that much and isn't a generic story we still don't see loads and loads of games with it allowing for what I've noticed only good games to wind up relating with time travel. Xbox, I'll admit simply cause of system I wouldn't have gotten the system for one game alone. Same goes for if it were today with 360 or PS3.

So what about you?

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
If it came cheap, if it were done decently, then I might buy it. Otherwise, I doubt it. Newer systems are hard to emulate, which means it's harder to play whenever the fuck I want to. And on top of this, as the later systems come out, we become more broke.

I just can't afford the new games anymore.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
My answer is yes, especially in the PS2, as it was the first console I owned.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
I was a big computer based gamer until about the time the Dreamcast came out. Even then I discovered CT, I didn't own a SNES at the time, yet I still remember wanting to play that game.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
I had really stopped following videogames for the most part  by the PS2 era, and when I did bat an eye in interest it was more for franchise Nintendo games, Mario, Zelda etc.

So no, it wouldn't have registered at that point for me. I had no interest in PS2 / Xbox stuff. Videogames had become very corporate and big business compared to what I grew up, and were beginning to take themselves too seriously for my tastes. I enjoyed things much more whan gaming was more a small, cult audience... now it's competing with Hollywood. Makes it much tougher to find gems like CT. I don't expect it would get much advertising in this day and age either. They'd have to really expand it and give it some darker, less joking themes to appeal to an adult audience.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Dream Team: First time Square & Enix's bigwigs actually working together to make one game. Yeah, I think it'd do BETTER if it had been originally released on a later system...as long as they hyped the Dream Team aspect anyways, maybe...

Enigma Outlaw

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Guru of Enigma
    • View Profile
As long as we're talking pre-FFX then yes I would have still played CT no matter what system it was on at the time. FFX was the last halfway decent FF in my eyes despite some of the flaws it had. If we're talking after FFX then it may have been debatable on if I would have played it or not.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
What? I don't get it...we're talking about Chrono Trigger as-is, maybe with better graphics, not Chrono Trigger if different people made it, right?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
I think the former, considering the thread says 'if it came out on a later system'. Putting it that way, I guess the contents itself doesn't change, except for maybe the translation though.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:33:19 am by Acacia Sgt »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Nope. The only reason I got CT, was cause my brother rented it on the SNES, and shortly after I got into all sorts of Square-made RPGs on the SNES, including CT. We didn't rent many RPGs during the Playstation era, and most of the titles I bought were in the same series as the SNES games I'd grew up with (I bought Legend of Mana because of its relation to Secret of Mana, I bought FFIX and FFTactics because they were Final Fantasies, and I bought Chrono Cross because of its relation to CT). If CT had come out later, I highly doubt I'd have played it--I didn't really buy any "unknown" RPGs after the SNES, and haven't bought a single RPG since the PS2 came out.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
What if you noticed advertisements and everyone saying, "FROM THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE FINAL FANTASY AND DRAGON QUEST SERIES COMES AN RPG OF EPIC PROPORTION: TIME TRAVEL, ROBOTS AND SEXY CAVEGIRLS...! 'nuff said.' STAN LEE IS QUOTED AS SAYING!"?

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
i found chrono cross on the PS1 first, so Ah thunk so

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
What if you noticed advertisements and everyone saying, "FROM THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE FINAL FANTASY AND DRAGON QUEST SERIES COMES AN RPG OF EPIC PROPORTION: TIME TRAVEL, ROBOTS AND SEXY CAVEGIRLS...! 'nuff said.' STAN LEE IS QUOTED AS SAYING!"?
I thought about that as I was posting, but I tend to neglect these advertisements; even word-of-mouth doesn't leave an impact on me. Something about Square during the SNES era made it worthwhile for me--I still play those games, most of the games on my top ten lists come from the SNES era, and very few games on the Playstation and so on have come close to leaving such an impact.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
What? I don't get it...we're talking about Chrono Trigger as-is, maybe with better graphics, not Chrono Trigger if different people made it, right?

Sure probably with better graphics, but keeping the same gameplay and yes, the same people would've made it.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
For me, probably not since the most modern system that's not hand held is Gamecube and I only have a few things for that.  And half the games talked about in the Video game discussion thread I haven't even heard of.