Poll

If Chrono came out on, let's say PS2, do you think you still would've gotten to it?

Yes
14 (73.7%)
No
5 (26.3%)
Change it to Gamecube and yes
0 (0%)
Change it to Xbox yes
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Do you think you'd have discovered Chrono if it came out on a later system?  (Read 2992 times)

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
What if you noticed advertisements and everyone saying, "FROM THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE FINAL FANTASY AND DRAGON QUEST SERIES COMES AN RPG OF EPIC PROPORTION: TIME TRAVEL, ROBOTS AND SEXY CAVEGIRLS...! 'nuff said.' STAN LEE IS QUOTED AS SAYING!"?
I thought about that as I was posting, but I tend to neglect these advertisements; even word-of-mouth doesn't leave an impact on me. Something about Square during the SNES era made it worthwhile for me--I still play those games, most of the games on my top ten lists come from the SNES era, and very few games on the Playstation and so on have come close to leaving such an impact.
I agree, on both points. Not many of my friends were into RPGs, moreso fighting games and shooters. And the ads / posters back then featured a lot more hand-drawn art, which was a real draw for me back then. I was real into visual art back then, would like to get back into it some day. The 3D, CGI stuff doesn't do as much for me - the ads look closer to movie ads.

Most of my faves are still from the SNES era as well.  :D

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
For me, probably not since the most modern system that's not hand held is Gamecube and I only have a few things for that.  And half the games talked about in the Video game discussion thread I haven't even heard of.
Have you been time travelling?

Oh yeah, and I love SNES era games in general. SNES mario kart was the best one so far. Now, I love the VC on the Wii. Games on the PS1 and 2 tried to advertise as being more epic, and other games that came before were already epic, so it just made FF7 look unbeatable. Quite contrary to fact.
However, they definitely soaked in the advertising bump, being from Sony and all. Dreamcast got the other end of the stick - no advertising. Except maybe a couple Sonic games. And around these times I watched so much TV if they showed anything I'd catch that shit. Now I don't even see many video game advertisements, and if I do, it's either a war game like CoD or it looks like a movie in the commercial. Again, quite contrary to fact.

If Chrono Trigger was released on VC, I definitely would have found it. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
For me, probably not since the most modern system that's not hand held is Gamecube and I only have a few things for that.  And half the games talked about in the Video game discussion thread I haven't even heard of.
Have you been time travelling?
No, I just don't have parents who will get me 1000 dollar presents for Christmas and birthdays.  I had to save up and buy the DS lite and got the Gamecube for Christmas from a friend of ours who didn't want it any more.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
No, I just don't have parents who will get me 1000 dollar presents for Christmas and birthdays.  I had to save up and buy the DS lite and got the Gamecube for Christmas from a friend of ours who didn't want it any more.
Yeah, I had a job since I was like 15 with my family so I got money a different way I guess.

Anyway it's a shame, I was gonna ask if you could stop by during CE beta release and pick me up a copy. But no time travel. I'm still fucked.