Author Topic: Who would you cast in a Chrono movie?  (Read 20633 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you cast in a Chrono movie?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 03:36:33 pm »
An opinion?  Null and void?  Didn't know that was possible.

And yea, I stand by the comments.

I used an Ultimate Nullifier. It means that whenever you share an opinion on something in the future, I will instead see a hole, reminding me of this ludicrousness. :lol:

*PEW PEW*
~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:04:57 pm by V_Translanka »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »
This topic is the perfect demonstration of how you people can give every reason not to be a casting director.

1) Don't take legendary actors and actresses for granted.
2) Not every casting decision is correct.
3) You have to look for:
    a. Individual screen presence
    b. Actor/Actress chemistry
    c. Original approach to the dialogue
...all of these must be approached with impartiality, not because it tickles your fancy.

Regardless, I can easily picture Chrono Trigger as a live-action trilogy (yes, trilogy; you can't expect to fit it all into one movie, now can you?).  Anime, in this part of the world, sounds a little passe and serendipitous.  What says you?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2009, 09:54:38 pm »
This topic is the perfect demonstration of how you people can give every reason not to be a casting director.

1) Don't take legendary actors and actresses for granted.
2) Not every casting decision is correct.
3) You have to look for:
    a. Individual screen presence
    b. Actor/Actress chemistry
    c. Original approach to the dialogue
...all of these must be approached with impartiality, not because it tickles your fancy.

Regardless, I can easily picture Chrono Trigger as a live-action trilogy (yes, trilogy; you can't expect to fit it all into one movie, now can you?).  Anime, in this part of the world, sounds a little passe and serendipitous.  What says you?

I didn't see any suggested names for casting in there. So I have a rebuttal.

1. It's not really gonna be made into a movie
2. It's still not really gonna be made into a movie
3. Don't take it seriously. Seriously, it's not gonna be made into a movie.
     a. this is supposed to be fun
     b. it's who would you cast, not who would you want to see in a real movie
     c. we can't even get a new sequel and speed racer and dragon ball both bombed, this is really NEVER going to be made into a movie.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2009, 11:02:04 pm »
 :picardno

If that's the best rebuttal you have, I hate to see your argument.

This could have been avoided if the title included the word "speculative" or "hypothetical".

Besides, it's neither of our calls whether this will be made into a live-action movie or not (although I am currently working on a screenplay version of the story).

Regardless, new anime movies in this part of the world seem passe and serendipitous.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2009, 11:41:26 pm »
To be fair, why would the title need the words speculative or hypothetical? Did anyone enter this topic really thinking they'd be making the casting choices? It's clearly a hypothetical situation, so you don't need to mock those of us who have replied, cause we really don't think we're making casting choices for a real film. This topic, like Bekkler's rebuttal, are just little bits of fun.

But I do agree that Chrono Trigger lends itself to work as a live-action trilogy, or perhaps even a mini-series.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 02:01:33 am »
I thought it was pretty funny.

Anyway, since nobody has posted a suggestion for casting, why don't we talk about the trilogy idea?

Where would you cut it up?

Personally, I'd probably cut it a little after the Dragon Tank, like right when they get to the future. Frog's full backstory would be played out.
Second movie starts with no background BS, and goes until Crono dies. Robo and Ayla would join only in the second one, to leave room for development with the core crew in the first movie.
Third movie is Crono's resurrection, and goes until Lavos is killed. Probably no sidequests.

I'd probably want it to be the "epoch crashing into Lavos" way of killing him, just because he's seen killing Crono, so in a movie they'd probably think that would happen again if they didn't pulverize him.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:03:31 am by Mr Bekkler »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2009, 02:16:33 am »
I think cutting it right after you fight Magus for the first time would be awesome. Great suspense, climactic scene, and perfect opener for the next movie/thing.
As for actors, we HAVE to squeeze Johnny Depp in there somehow. Maybe as Crono or Frog? Maybe even Toma.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 03:07:22 am »
I like your idea, Mr. Bekkler.  By the way, sorry about getting off to a rough start.  I'm just the kind of person who searches for clarity even in the most obvious situations.  It won't happen again.

Anyway, my first script would actually continue into 2300 A.D., back to 1000 A.D., and follow the story up until the quest for the restoration of the Masamune begins.  The second script would cover the Zeal chapter up until Crono's death (and their search for the Time Egg).  The last would be just like you put it.

As an amateur screenwriter, I find it very difficult to cut out what fans might deem to be "important" to the story, be it events or supporting characters.  Ultimately, when it comes to adaptations, it's always the nagging question:

What is absolutely necessary to a) move the story forward, or b) reveal something new about your characters?

Johnny Deep was good as Jack Sparrow and Edward Scissor Hands.  I simply can't see him as a Jack-of-all-Trades actor.

I could picture Magus being played by Jeremy Irons.  When I saw him in "The Time Machine", I could almost hear my muse whisper into my ear, "That could be Magus."

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 03:29:36 am »
Toma and Jack Sparrow are not all that different.

They both mumble, they both bumble, they both drink heavily, and they both think they are the shit. They're both lacking intelligence, and are a little funny.

In short, Johnny Depp as Toma, who honestly believes he's having the "Greatest Adventure That You And Everyone Else Will Never See!" which he enthusiastically reminds the party of three times in each film.

[edtior's noet to self: You and Everyone Else WILL see his adventure, in the form of a 3-D Motion seat ride at Universal Studios.]

[edtior's seccund note: Have the secretary spell check before posting. :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:31:23 am by Mr Bekkler »

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »
Jeremy Irons could be a magnificent Magus, but at 60 years old, he could be too old to play Magus. His voice, however, would be magnificent for the fiendlord.

As for where I'd cut up the game for a trilogy, that's really tough. The firs fight against Magus is definitely one of the best ways to conclude that portion of the game: Marle has been saved, Frog's story has been explored, it's a very climactic part of the game, and sets you up for what will inevitably become the focus of the next two "films". But perhaps that'd be a bit much--everything from after 2300ad right before Zeal could also work as its own movie, leaving all of Zeal and its crazy massive climax for the final film.

This is kinda why I suggested a mini-series earlier; you could cut it up after every mini adventure has concluded. One episode for when you save Marle and the ensuing trial, one for when you find and fix Robo, one for when you defeat Magus for the first time, one for Ayla's cool stuff, one for Zeal, one for the finale, etc.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 09:39:59 pm »
Imagine the stories of Trigger, Radical Dreamers, and Chrono Cross streamlined and put in a modern setting, but it's still about a group of people from different walks of life fighting an otherworldly horror and Kid/Schala's mental imbalance.

Imagine it as a Satoshi Kon anime.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 10:06:16 pm »
Quote from: maggiekarp link=topic=7450.msg169751#msg169751 date=1246149599

[/quote

Do you mean that we should think of it as animated and select voice actors for it? Or is there a certain theme to Satoshi Kon's anime that you want reproduced? Or am I missing something?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 01:56:24 am »
Mostly I just thought it was an interesting idea, but the more I think of it, alternate universes for an established franchise is more of a Gainax thing.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 04:20:45 am »

I have seen Satoshi's work (especially Tokyo Godfathers).  Regardless, anime, like any other film medium, still serves to fill its niche.

That's why I thought it would adventurous to try CT in a different medium (in this case, a live-action movie trilogy).  It just goes back to what I said before: anime in this part of the world nowadays seems passe and serendipitous.

Okay, mav.  Maybe Jeremy Irons is a little old for the part, but did you read about Spielberg rethinking Harrison Ford when he did his fourth and final "Indie" movie? Of course not.  Elderly people can sometimes be surprisingly nimble and charismatic. Case in point? Christopher Lloyd.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »
Okay, mav.  Maybe Jeremy Irons is a little old for the part, but did you read about Spielberg rethinking Harrison Ford when he did his fourth and final "Indie" movie? Of course not.  Elderly people can sometimes be surprisingly nimble and charismatic. Case in point? Christopher Lloyd.
Hah, good points. It really isn't an issue in nimbleness or vitality, and it certainly isn't one in charisma--it's just that aspect of completely re-imagining a character just for a film. Magus is around 30 or 40 in CT, right? Would it look right for Irons to play him? Eh, I guess age doesn't really matter though. People have bitched about "inappropriate" actors playing iconic characters for quite a while. I remember people fussing heavily when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, and now they're his greatest fans and sympathizers.