Author Topic: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth  (Read 34423 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2009, 12:16:25 am »
What's the difference between this thread, this thread, and this thread?

It's kinda been buggin me, cause they all started different and now all seem the same.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2009, 12:18:11 am »
The only people who are leaving are people who felt sore about the whole situation...or people who were whiners that somehow felt they were personally affronted by it. The Compendium did not start out as a ROM hacking community and it will do just fine if it never is one again. If you think it'll die, then you're not SoY~!! The C&D is a shame, for certain, but the people who weren't even working on it need to STFU, get off their asses and contribute to the community. Don't LET this dampen your spirits! Create a webcomic. Make some fanart. Hell, write a fanfic. It doesn't have to be epic, but if you channel w/e emotions you have into something artistic, I don't think you can ever really go wrong...Just letting it brew and shaking your fist at the machine does nothing. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE~!!!

Bekkler: Sometimes the paths we start at, while different, can lead to the same places.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2009, 03:03:45 am »
The only people who are leaving are people who felt sore about the whole situation...or people who were whiners that somehow felt they were personally affronted by it. The Compendium did not start out as a ROM hacking community and it will do just fine if it never is one again. If you think it'll die, then you're not SoY~!! The C&D is a shame, for certain, but the people who weren't even working on it need to STFU, get off their asses and contribute to the community. Don't LET this dampen your spirits! Create a webcomic. Make some fanart. Hell, write a fanfic. It doesn't have to be epic, but if you channel w/e emotions you have into something artistic, I don't think you can ever really go wrong...Just letting it brew and shaking your fist at the machine does nothing. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE~!!!

Bekkler: Sometimes the paths we start at, while different, can lead to the same places.

Wow! I've been sayin something along those line for awhile. People are takin' this way to personally. It's sad and all, but it's not like they just wanted to torment their fans. First people are acting like SE broke into their homes (they act like the company is a living entity of it's own) and beat their family then killed their puppy for giggles. Now everyone wants vegence on some damn troll. I wanna do something useful to the Compendium....maybe a fanfic? I wanna be a writer someday, but I'm not sure I could do a good CT or CC fanfic. If you have any ideas I'm all open for suggestions.

Rickets

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2009, 01:43:50 am »
Still waiting for more news...

:picardno

Last I checked, waiting does not require posting. Keep it in your pants.
                                                                                   ~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:23:28 am by V_Translanka »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2009, 03:25:56 am »
You'll get some news sometime tomorrow.

odekam

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2009, 07:14:39 am »

Some news means good news..... right?

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2009, 11:38:04 am »

Some news means good news..... right?

Oh boy how exciting, rather it's good or bad I Mikey stand by with a happy outlook. Remember even if things don't work out we will find something else to do. The compendium was here before Crimsion Echo and it will be here afterwords. We are the CHRONO Compendium, not the Crimsion Echo one. There will be other ways to show our love for the series and to keep the fandom strong.

Still I hope for good news.

Geowil

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2009, 12:51:03 pm »
'lo everyone, I am new to the compendium.

I have been a fan of Chrono Trigger since 1996 when I first played it and I must say, that even to this day, it remains the BEST game I ever played, only FF7 comes close (and it is maybe 12 steps down from CT on the awesomeness ladder) to CT for me.

That being siad I also own Chrono Cross.  I have not beaten the game yet, actually I am stuck on FATE at the moment >.<  but ever since I entered the Sea of Eden and learned about what really happened I have been wondering how these two games had ever been connected.

When I first heard about Crimson Echos, to tell you the truth, I was shocked.  As I read through he compendium I found a plausible arc between the two.  I was VERY hyped for this "patch" to come out, the videos for it showed what I believe was a storyline comparable to the original one.

But now that SE has sent the cease and desist I am a little pissed, though it is my opinion that certain other events might have triggered SE's actions (search google for RIAA suemongering) I can see how they could feel threatened by this though.

I think that somehow SE and the fan communities positions have been revered ever since they killed the 3D remake.  SE are the ones that are now being over protective of the Chrono legacy.  It should be the other way around, unless a game company plans to release a future game for a series (not a remake), they should just let it die.  It is then the job of the fan base to not let that happen, to be over protective of the game.  This is how I think they modding communities formed in the first place.

but SE has revesed the roles now, whether because they are making a new Chrono game or just turning CT into a cash cow like FF still remains to be seen I guess.

Though that has left me with a question, their actions suggest that they are making a new Chrono game (not just a remake), because as far as I have seen, once a game series has been made and is finished (in most cases), if it hasnt been possible already allowed/possible, the companies release modding tools or allow their games to be modded.  It is my firm belief that once a game is completed, the company no longer owns the game, legally they might, but the soul of the game belongs to the fans of the game.

anyway this brings me to my next point.  A suggestion to the team behind CE.  dont let your 5 years of work go to waste, even if they black ball you and say they will not allow you to continue, or that they will not 'buy' the game and release it or just wont let this one time slip by.  It doesnt mean that all of your work has to go to waste, release the storyline as a fanfic or find another medium to tell the plot in.  SE has a problem with how the game was made, not what the game is about.  They might argue, but i dont think, even legally, they can sue someone from writing a story about Chrono Trigger.

Or do as some people have suggested on a lot of posts around the interwebs and release the game anyway, but do it through channels that will keep it hush hush.

I would really hate to see the project die entirely, the storyline you thought up has me so intrigued. 

I await the news good or bad.  Even if it is bad, i dont think that we are going to lose CE entirely.

I've been sayin something along those line for awhile. People are takin' this way to personally.

Sure, I can see how that is, but you also need to understand, some people worship this game (that being CT) and so far, anytime someone has tried to improve it, or make a new plot from it, it gets shot down.  So I can also see where they would be personally offended.  A lot of people loved this game, some might even have had life altering events surrounding the game (i saw a youtube video where this guy rom hacked CT to make a storyline that at the end of which was a proposal to his girlfriend), it was one of the single greatest games to ever grace the gaming world, and there are those that take every hit to the fan base by SE personally because they think that they are entitled to have some say at least in what SE does with the game series.

Though I am not for or against that kind of thinking, I do believe that SE should either release a CT sequel/CC prequel, or put and shut up and pass the reigns to the fan base and not defame the series name by whoring it out to almost every console that comes out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:17:29 pm by Geowil »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:02 pm »
I've been sayin something along those line for awhile. People are takin' this way to personally.

Sure, I can see how that is, but you also need to understand, some people worship this game (that being CT) and so far, anytime someone has tried to improve it, or make a new plot from it, it gets shot down.

I hate to say it, but that just sounds like incredibly narrow-minded talk. Do you honestly think that CTRP, CT:R and CT:CE are the only Chrono projects in existence? The only things that matter? What? Like said, it may have been great, but it was only one. It is not the be-all, end-all of all Chrono fandom and people need to stop thinking like it is.

kattrali

• Sleuth of Time
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2009, 01:39:05 pm »
I hate to say it, but that just sounds like incredibly narrow-minded talk. Do you honestly think that CTRP, CT:R and CT:CE are the only Chrono projects in existence? The only things that matter? What? Like said, it may have been great, but it was only one. It is not the be-all, end-all of all Chrono fandom and people need to stop thinking like it is.

Agreed, though I think this is important on a larger scale because of the implications for other fan projects, at least by looking at the effect this has had already on other Chrono fan game projects across the web.

Geowil

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2009, 01:52:48 pm »

Sure, I can see how that is, but you also need to understand, some people worship this game (that being CT) and so far, anytime someone has tried to improve it, or make a new plot from it, it gets shot down.

sorry if i came off as a prick with that, but truly those are the only major projects I have ever heard of since I started looking (with any interest; to me a mod has to be more then just a simple translation of a game, or more then a few extra maps and side quests) at the Chrono modding community back in 2006-this month. 

but what I said stills stands.  I was not talking directly about CE but about ALL the mods that SE has crapped on, those have been the biggest one imo out of any of the ones that have come out, prickish it maybe but thats my opinion (as I said before I dont know about many others then the ones you mentioned).

Agreed, though I think this is important on a larger scale because of the implications for other fan projects, at least by looking at the effect this has had already on other Chrono fan game projects across the web.

exactly the point i am trying to convey, sooner or later the fan base is just going to stop trying to make a full-length Rom mod for CT. Its like a, hate to use the term but..., war of attrition.  We're going to keep going till something gives, and at present its probably going to be the spirits of the fans rather then the shrewdness of SE.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:24:19 pm by Geowil »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2009, 02:33:24 pm »

Or do as some people have suggested on a lot of posts around the interwebs and release the game anyway, but do it through channels that will keep it hush hush.

Stop saying this, people. It's false hope. It's not going to happen.

It's either SE goes out of business and therefor can't sue, or the patch will never be released. Nobody would "keep hush hush" especially now with all the press the patch recieved recently.

Once everyone stops suggesting to do the OPPOSITE of what the team has already decided, then we can ACTUALLY move on.

phelph

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »
CE was literally the highest-quality product ever to have arisen from videogame modding culture.

Ouch, yeah have a slice of humble pie. Firstly i dont think somthing counts has having "arisen" if it was never released. Secondly, theres a wealth of very professional fan mods out there. DotA for one, or a more relevant example is Kingsquest 9(who received their own C&D from vivendi universal). Point is, this wasnt something the culture has never seen and completely awe-shook people with preview clips of sprites from the original game with some sprinklings of inserted text. Im looking forward to seeing these full playthrough videos.

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2009, 03:48:15 pm »
Your post was at midnight...  So does that mean tomorrow as in today?  Or tomorrow as in thursday?  Also phelph, if Faust wants to make this pain worse by explaining how amazing CE was now that it will never be released, its his right to xD.  Besides...  He's watching you....  Be afraid.....