Author Topic: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth  (Read 34415 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2009, 03:52:38 am »
2300ad, here we come!

:(

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2009, 03:57:04 am »
Why the sad face? It's not as if it's definite we are going to that 2,300 AD, or is it? You never know...

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2009, 04:53:19 am »
It is even uncertain what our 2300 ad gonna look like...... So yeah.
I disagree on Boo's last part of his comment, our future is unpredictable,  we may even see the fall of compendium.

Opss i think i said too much. :(

Panzer88

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2009, 08:30:24 am »
Had it been released without any marketing, the entire release would have occurred smoothly.  And there probably wouldn't have been any post-release problems...

However...  What's done is done, so there's no point making "what if" or "had we just..." statements.

Now we face tomorrow.  We face the beautiful future.

I know, I just think it's a valuable lesson to be learned for the future.

More over, is the Chrono Trigger Retranslation still on this site?  It's still on RHDN, how is this any different than Prophet's Guile?

I would just like to see these inconsistencies addressed by the staff of this site.

kattrali

• Sleuth of Time
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2009, 10:25:53 am »
Had it been released without any marketing, the entire release would have occurred smoothly.  And there probably wouldn't have been any post-release problems...

But at the time, was there a lot of fanfare?
Quote from: TeaFlower on April 9, 2009
Hopefully, because we're keeping Crimson Echoes generally under wraps, they won't kill it. We don't advertise it greatly on the front page. We... elude to it. I guess. I dunno.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7122.msg155956/topicseen.html#msg155956

Seems like there wasn't much, at least without SE randomly browsing fan sites.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2009, 10:30:04 am »
But at the time, was there a lot of fanfare?

Yes.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2009, 01:19:00 pm »
I personally felt at the time that there wasn't enough fan fare. The only place it was being heavily advertised at was Romhacking.net and Youtube. I'm not even sure we ever linked to crimsonechoes.com anywhere in the forums. ZeaLitY last mentioned Crimson Echoes on the frontpage in February I think, but after that it was pretty much chatter about "CE" except where it was being advertised.

The "problem" may have been that the advertisements were just too high quality. I mean, if you happened to find your way to crimsonechoes.com, you'd be blown away by the artwork and the overall professionalism of the site. If Square had either been following the project closely all this time or else was drawn to it recently by the denunciation letter (if it was real, which I still have personal doubts about), it's easy to see in retrospect why they might have felt threatened. CE was literally the highest-quality product ever to have arisen from videogame modding culture.

But here's an odd thing: during the viral advertisement run, CE was never described as a "ROM hack." Of course ROMhacking.net frequenters would already know what it was, but I think the CE team was going for a mysterious impression. People could have mistaken it for an ambitious Flash or RPGMaker project until it was actually released.

The first instance of anything remotely related to game modification in the viral advertising run came on April 26, when I uploaded the second preview video to my personal Youtube account. It said "Coming to an Emulator Near You. Soon." Even then, only 150 people or so even saw it; the video didn't become heavily viewed until after the C&D. So I think SE's either been following CE for some time, or did quite a bit of digging if it learned about it recently. Thing is, had SE done that amount of digging, I'm still surprised at some of the claims that made it into the C&D.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:21:10 pm by FaustWolf »

kando

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »
They shot theirselves in the foot indeed, because now CE has so much more attention and for the wrong reasons, which is also hurting Square-Enix as well...

I must say after playing the demo 2 I am a broken man because i cannot have the true sequel to chrono trigger :(

but yea...i may not have even known about this until months and months later until i heard about the C&D, so thanks SE for letting me know about a 98% done sequel as well as telling me i can never have it.

*slits wrists*

-kando

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2009, 03:09:58 pm »
I don't think Square is worrying to much about it right now... I wonder if they're not trying to let the fire go out.

Panzer88

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2009, 04:49:09 pm »
The "problem" may have been that the advertisements were just too high quality.

agreed, the crimsonechoes.com site was the clincher.

CE was literally the highest-quality product ever to have arisen from videogame modding culture.

that's a bit of a bold statement with all the other amazing work out there.

But here's an odd thing: during the viral advertisement run, CE was never described as a "ROM hack." Of course ROMhacking.net frequenters would already know what it was, but I think the CE team was going for a mysterious impression. People could have mistaken it for an ambitious Flash or RPGMaker project until it was actually released.

that can actually majorly work against you, Companies seem to have a lot less of a problem with a mod or extension of their own work rather than a brand new game using their assets. It makes it seem as though said creators of said game are trying to hijack their series and IP. I know that was not the intent of the compendium but that is how a company like Square would perceive something that is being advertised as it's own game rather than a rom hack.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2009, 05:05:29 pm »
I don't know if it was the highest-quality product ever to have arisen from videogame modding culture, but it was definitely one of the most thorough. What we showed in the trailers was only the tip of the iceberg.

Panzer88

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2009, 06:16:08 pm »
certainly, I have the upmost respect for what you guys do.

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2009, 09:44:57 pm »
I disagree on Boo's last part of his comment, our future is unpredictable,  we may even see the fall of compendium.
I know I am a mere newbie, but I have to say I disagree with this. There is certainly more to the Compendium than CE; I actually joined here after the "CE Debacle" and had no idea of the game's existence. It had no motivation in my reason for joining. I'm sure the release of CE was a major factor for excitement and a highlight of the forum, but the Compendium certainly stands strong without it. It offers a lot of things for Chrono fans; I joined here to read plot analysis and to get a firmer grasp on my understanding of the Chrono series. Also, just to be around other Chrono fans who understood my little obsession and could discuss things related to it. :) I really don't think this place is going anywhere... also, you never know, the "Day of Lavos" here on the forums might just have a happy ending!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2009, 09:58:55 pm »
So true, besides, this are just the forums, there is still other things the Compendium offers. So even if nobody ever posts in here again, the place will still be here, and still be of use for anyone who visits it.

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2009, 12:10:44 am »
I know I am a mere newbie, but I have to say I disagree with this. There is certainly more to the Compendium than CE; I actually joined here after the "CE Debacle" and had no idea of the game's existence. It had no motivation in my reason for joining. I'm sure the release of CE was a major factor for excitement and a highlight of the forum, but the Compendium certainly stands strong without it. It offers a lot of things for Chrono fans; I joined here to read plot analysis and to get a firmer grasp on my understanding of the Chrono series. Also, just to be around other Chrono fans who understood my little obsession and could discuss things related to it. :) I really don't think this place is going anywhere... also, you never know, the "Day of Lavos" here on the forums might just have a happy ending!

For me the original "Day of Lavos" was a happy ending ^.^'

Anyway I wanna believe that only good things await in the future. even if something seems bad, it can end good.