Poll

If a petition is made for SE, would you sign it?

Yes
14 (53.8%)
No
2 (7.7%)
Not too Sure yet
2 (7.7%)
It won't help
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: May 13, 2009, 08:02:22 pm

Author Topic: Petition for SE  (Read 7417 times)

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Petition for SE
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:37 pm »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:18:49 pm by Happy-Dude »

joe_devore

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Vector Engineering
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2009, 11:29:43 pm »
The language edited according to Zephira's suggestion might appear thus:

We, the undersigned Chrono fans, have hungered for official new material in the franchise for a decade. The re-release of Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS in 2008 gave us hope of future entries in the series, but since its release we have received no further indication of Square Enix's interest in continuing the franchise.

Absent an official addition to the Chrono series, fans have speculated upon the possible resolutions and continuances of an intellectual property that has captured their imaginations and inspired new artistic dreams. The Chrono fan community has realized its dreams through entire volumes of fan fiction, fan art, interactive Flash projects, and even games created with the popular RPGMaker game engine. We feel that our right to interpret and enjoy the discontinued Chrono franchise should also extend to modification of the Super Nintendo game we lawfully purchased while it was still in circulation. We acknowledge no financial harm to the intellectual property holder in the release of a modification to backups of the legally purchased Super Nintendo game, and therefore ready ourselves to defend our right through our power as consumers.

We, the undersigned, pledge to boycott the purchase of Square Enix games released after May 8, 2009, for all platforms, until such time as Square Enix rescinds its Cease and Desist against Crimson Echoes and SNES-era modification.

Edit there was in the "action" paragraph. I wanted to retain the fact(?) that the Chrono fan community was inspired to do this because we've been neglected as fans and consumers.
Wow very nicely written.
Time to Smack SE in the Face.

I absolutely Love Chrono Trigger, and the Final Fantasy's (4&6 were my favorite aside form 7 and a few others).
I actually still own  a Functioning SNES and a REAL Copy of Chrono Trigger, and when Chrono Cross was scheduled to be released.
I PRE-Reserved and PAID in FULL for it at the time of reserve. AND I still have the receipt in perfect condition. :)

EDITED:
oh O_o this appears to be my first post.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:44:57 am by joe_devore »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2009, 12:02:06 am »
I think there's a consensus building that the petition shouldn't be a boycott though...

Maybe the petition should just say: "Sign here if you abhor Square Enix's treatment of Chrono fan projects."  ?

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2009, 02:28:09 am »
I think it should be more along the lines of:

We the undersigned have signed this petition as a way to gather all fans of the series, in an attempt to show Square-Enix just how large the fan base is.  Our hope is to gather enough signatures to acquire attention from SE, thus at the very least getting a public response to the C&D.

Something like that...  Except maybe a little longer...  Also Better written.

joe_devore

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Vector Engineering
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2009, 03:27:12 pm »
I think there's a consensus building that the petition shouldn't be a boycott though...

Maybe the petition should just say: "Sign here if you abhor Square Enix's treatment of Chrono fan projects."  ?
Maybe not O_o

I think it should be more along the lines of:

We the undersigned have signed this petition as a way to gather all fans of the series, in an attempt to show Square-Enix just how large the fan base is.  Our hope is to gather enough signatures to acquire attention from SE, thus at the very least getting a public response to the C&D.
We should still try to have a strong stance.... right?

Something like that...  Except maybe a little longer...  Also Better written.

The language edited according to Zephira's suggestion might appear thus:

We, the undersigned Chrono fans, have hungered for official new material in the franchise for a decade. The re-release of Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS in 2008 gave us hope of future entries in the series, but since its release we have received no further indication of Square Enix's interest in continuing the franchise.

Absent an official addition to the Chrono series, fans have speculated upon the possible resolutions and continuances of an intellectual property that has captured their imaginations and inspired new artistic dreams. The Chrono fan community has realized its dreams through entire volumes of fan fiction, fan art, interactive Flash projects, and even games created with the popular RPGMaker game engine. We feel that our right to interpret and enjoy the discontinued Chrono franchise should also extend to modification of the Super Nintendo game we lawfully purchased while it was still in circulation. We acknowledge no financial harm to the intellectual property holder in the release of a modification to backups of the legally purchased Super Nintendo game, and therefore ready ourselves to defend our right through our power as consumers.

We, the undersigned, pledge to boycott the purchase of Square Enix games released after May 8, 2009, for all platforms, until such time as Square Enix rescinds its Cease and Desist against Crimson Echoes and SNES-era modification.

Edit there was in the "action" paragraph. I wanted to retain the fact(?) that the Chrono fan community was inspired to do this because we've been neglected as fans and consumers.
FaustWolf petition is by far the best written and strongest....
Its true we don't want to force them into make a poor excuse for a release just because we forced them...
But these C&Ds are poor taste on there part.. o_o  I can understand part of what was mention about it becoming to canon.. or something like the story is official and SE would have to adjust any plans they have for a story line to make sure it fits together with CE.....

On another note I had a chance to watch the YouTube trailers for CE last night... O_O I have to say they were Spectacular...

2nd Note:  CE and Save CE sites are at the top of Google's search results. !_!

OK I signed as well
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:31:02 pm by joe_devore »

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2009, 03:39:44 pm »
oh, I know Faust's is the best written.  I whipped mine up in 10 minutes, and claimed it had to be better written.  I was just saying, I think the petition should be more along the lines of that, but in Faust's excellent writing ;).  Also, Faust I know you're here....  YOu can't hide anymore *is watching you*

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2009, 03:43:39 pm »
I'm just waiting for those interested in the petition writing to develop the kind of "tone" we should go for. What I had in mind originally was language with real-world impact, but on the downside it commits the signers to actually *do* something and therein it may seem like an empty threat anyway.

Since there's no action language on the petition site yet, perhaps it's best to wait for SE's official response to the fallout and then adapt the petition response accordingly.

joe_devore

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Vector Engineering
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2009, 03:46:58 pm »
I'm just waiting for those interested in the petition writing to develop the kind of "tone" we should go for. What I had in mind originally was language with real-world impact, but on the downside it commits the signers to actually *do* something and therein it may seem like an empty threat anyway.

Since there's no action language on the petition site yet, perhaps it's best to wait for SE's official response to the fallout and then adapt the petition response accordingly.
True, that does seem like the correct road to take.. :)

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2009, 03:54:53 pm »
See, I told ya he was here.  He's always here *hides* xD.  Anywho, yeah looks like it's more hungry hungry hippos for everyone >_>.

musick

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2009, 12:42:37 am »

this is what I'm waiting on.  We should be hearing something soon.