Author Topic: Something I noticed in regards to the Black Omen that needs an answer  (Read 1421 times)

Enigma Outlaw

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Guru of Enigma
    • View Profile
Ok I've been playing CT at least once a year since the original release in 1995 so I always figured I had a pretty decent handle on the game. As far as the Black Omen is concerned I thought I understood how it worked pretty well. For example if you enter it in 600 AD upon beating Zeal you wind up in 1999 AD and fight Lavos at that point. The easy explaination? Zeal herself says the Omen itself is a gateway to Lavos that transends time. Hence while you were running around inside the Omen at what felt like normal time outside it was moving through time at an accelrated rate.

Now try to follow me on this because here's where I feel things get a bit tricky and needs explanation.

Let's say you destroy the Omen in 1000 AD. Prior to the Lavos battle you see it crash back into the ocean. Upon beating the outer shell you have the option of returning to the End of Time. At this point if you leave via the Epoch and return to 1000 AD you'll see the Black Omen is gone. Go to either 600 AD or 12000 BC however and it's still floating about. That's because you destroyed it in 1000 AD. However by either an oversight or something more that the producers and writers may be trying to tell us an intresting thing occurs in the DS version. Today I beat the Omen in 1000 AD and during the destruction scene the 12000 BC map is shown on the bottom screen. However just like the Super NES version the Omen still exists in both 600 AD and 12000 BC. Also the place it goes down in does not correspond with where it hovers in 12000 BC. In years past I always felt it was simply just to show that it dropped in height and fell very close to the ocean and away from any land mass. Now however I am not so sure. The fact that it displays the 12000 BC map seems to be trying to tell us something.....or on the other hand I'm reading a bit too deep and it was just an oversight on the part of the team for the DS version.

In any case it's something to talk about. Any thoughts?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Maybe they are lazy to code 3 different scenesl, so the crash scenes are in fact the same one and belong to 12000 B.C.
BTW, that's an awesome discovery, congratulations. :wink:

There's a thread about Black Omen, maybe you wanna have a look.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,6583.0.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:53:45 am by utunnels »

Enigma Outlaw

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Guru of Enigma
    • View Profile
Yeah now that I'm not playing the game at 1 AM I'm thinking more along the lines of it was lazyness as opposed to "OMG!!! S0me+h!ng newz!!!11one" For some strange reason I've always had a weird ability to pick out boopers and goofs that may go unnoticed prior to a final release of something

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
I had never thought about it before, that no matter when you go through the Black Omen, that it falls in 12,000 BC, even though it may still be there. They probably also felt that it would be better to have it fall then than to have it crash into Melchior's house.