Author Topic: C&D: Director's Response  (Read 51533 times)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: C&D: Director's Response
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2009, 04:00:30 pm »

So that's it?  Let the 4channers and Something Awfuls remake something Kajar Labs (not the Compendium) put so much time and effort into butcher it beyond words?

Who knows?  Maybe they'll get a C&D letter from Squeenix and take it up their collective butts.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2009, 04:11:59 pm »
So that's it?  Let the 4channers and Something Awfuls remake something Kajar Labs (not the Compendium) put so much time and effort into butcher it beyond words?

Yes.

The C&D was rather pointed as it is; I doubt Square-Enix's legal department was in the mood for trivial semantics when they wrote it.

Who knows?  Maybe they'll get a C&D letter from Squeenix and take it up their collective butts.

Maybe. At least if they do, no one from the Compendium's head will roll as a result.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01:21 pm »
Even so, now with this newfound knowledge of copyright laws on intellectual property, what's stopping us from giving it another shot?  Is it because it might take us another five years to do so, and Squeenix will be waiting in the shadows, and it'll be Deja Vu all over again?

If you want to do a fan-made Chrono game or a ROM hack independent of the Compendium, and you've got either the resources to hide your ass or the balls to stand up to any C+D letters you get, then by all means do it :) Just don't get the Compendium involved...

I doubt these guys will butcher it, they're trying as hard as they can to replicate Crimson Echoes as it could've been. I also doubt a C+D will stop them, as they're much deeper underground than the CE team ever was and are only talking about their efforts on the shadiest of channels.

Maybe. At least if they do, no one from the Compendium's head will roll as a result.

If Square's vindictive enough they might come after the Compendium even if it's clear the Compendium wasn't involved, though I hope that wouldn't happen.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:59 pm »
I love how those involved with the "remake" of Crimson Echoes pretend like they're not one of those involved with the "remake" of Crimson Echoes.  LOLS!

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »
If I was a good enough hacker to be involved with Flames of Eternity, I'd be working on reviving Playable Schala right now, not Crimson Echoes.

Oh, and you people would have hundreds of Schala nude sprites to enjoy.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2009, 11:47:08 pm »
arent we not supposed to talk about this kind of thing?
i mean were all kind of bitter still.
but why pick an old scab and make it bleed more instead of letting it scar up and have it be a memory?

kando

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 31, 2009, 07:34:13 am »
flames of eternity? lmao dont expect much from that.

and dont expect any 4channers or something awful's to have the time and dedication to really finish the job.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 31, 2009, 03:51:35 pm »
flames of eternity? lmao dont expect much from that.

and dont expect any 4channers or something awful's to have the time and dedication to really finish the job.

ok.

:-?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 01, 2009, 05:31:42 pm »

Why not?

If they're supposedly more underground than the Compendium is, then they shouldn't be worrying about whether or not they'll finish the remake.

Besides, it's not they'll care about some C&D letter to halt their progress.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #339 on: November 01, 2009, 05:49:03 pm »
Which is precisely why they're doing it, and we aren't.

kando

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 01, 2009, 06:22:52 pm »

Why not?

If they're supposedly more underground than the Compendium is, then they shouldn't be worrying about whether or not they'll finish the remake.

Besides, it's not they'll care about some C&D letter to halt their progress.

i guarantee you, with the amount of work involved in restoring it, most will go nowhere. i just highly doubt that a 2bit 4chan/sa troll is going to go very far in actually fixing and giving the game justice.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 01, 2009, 07:26:55 pm »
Meh, I saw Kando post in this thread last and figured he would have some lowly thing to say about the FoE team. I'm too lazy to go back in the thread to actually see where our project came into this but anyways. The FoE project is making great progress by self-learning everything. Hell, i've even picked up on spriting from just messing with things. Anyways, i'll be in touch.

kando

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 01, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
Meh, I saw Kando post in this thread last and figured he would have some lowly thing to say about the FoE team. I'm too lazy to go back in the thread to actually see where our project came into this but anyways. The FoE project is making great progress by self-learning everything. Hell, i've even picked up on spriting from just messing with things. Anyways, i'll be in touch.

all i know is from when you guys started up till about 2-3 weeks ago when i last got a progress update, giro was still "dumping the text."

and the text i've seen where he added in the "old english accent"...

http://i29.tinypic.com/23w4ioi.png

I don't think "Ye" was used enough.

hey, feel free to surprise us all man.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 01, 2009, 08:39:36 pm »
It's kinda sad how it seems that our projects seem to be going against each other as some sort of nonsensical competition. Yeah, Giro was working on the text dump for a while, but it's mainly because I had been without a computer for a while. We're making changes to the game such as the playable Schala because it would make a little more sense since Ayla is supposedly pregnant with her second child. Anywho, FoE is going to be {almost} the same as CE besides for a few minor changes. And yeah, I got onto Giro about the massive use of the word "Ye" :/ And still, even though progress may be slow, it is still progress.

Also, while I'm here, The reason for the name change is to help avoid SE trying to pull anything against the Compendium by saying that they had something to do with it. And no, the FoE team isn't a bunch of trolls, It's a select few die-hard Chrono fans who really want to see this get out there.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #344 on: November 01, 2009, 09:11:01 pm »
Well, I wish you all the best of luck. Any venture is a good one at this point...up to the point where you get the Compendium involved, in which case, I trust you know when to stop.