Author Topic: C&D: Director's Response  (Read 52219 times)

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: C&D: Director's Response
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »
They could've won if they had fought, but they didn't have the money or the time to try.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »
...they didn't have the money or the time to try.

Not even close to an accurate statement, my friend.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2009, 05:25:21 pm »
Well they didn't, did they? I mean they said the reason they didn't want to go to court is that they were just starting new jobs and they were worried about court costs, correct? That sounds like not having the money or time to me. Which is a legitimate reason not to fight it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2009, 05:57:58 pm »
The CE team was definitely not in a position to mount a challenge, at least from what I could tell. They would have been just barely able to eke out the project release under normal circumstances, and that's with several tangentially involved people pitching in.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2009, 12:36:15 pm »
It all depended on how much SE cared. Actually for you guys, court would have sucked but for Chrono fans that aren't involved it would have been awesome. At least for publicity... The point is they had no choice anyone who thought they did just wanted the sequel.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 18, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

:( *Sigh*

I thought the letter was a nice shot at a retry at CT: CE.

I would be glad to be the legal representation for the case if the next C&D letter took it that far.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2009, 02:51:06 pm »
Are you a lawyer specializing in IP laws?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:38 pm »
Not really, but one does have the right to act as his own legal counsel at trial.

As for IP laws (you must mean Intellectual Property), the research can be easily collected, organized, and presented in a trial format.

Now, for the big what if...

What if we won?

Update: On second thought, I'll hire out an entertainment attorney specializing in IP laws.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:27:09 pm by GenesisOne »

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »
They didn't have the time to go to court and fight it, though. Plus, they weren't thinking about if they won, they were thinking about if they lost (I don't think they would, but I'm not the one whose butt would be on the line).

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 19, 2009, 08:01:41 pm »
Not really, but one does have the right to act as his own legal counsel at trial.

As for IP laws (you must mean Intellectual Property), the research can be easily collected, organized, and presented in a trial format.

Now, for the big what if...

What if we won?

Update: On second thought, I'll hire out an entertainment attorney specializing in IP laws.

All we really need is Jonny Cochran.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 19, 2009, 09:01:51 pm »
"If the ROM doesn't fit, you must acquit!"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:04:37 pm by FaustWolf »

MKnance

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39:27 pm »
Yes on that digg someone has mentioned they have contacted square enix and there was never sent out a C&D
and i would like to know if this project is completed are is almosted completed if its secrecy i don't care just forum pm it or email me the info please i really like to play it when its finish and its a rom hack and your doing it for no money reason what so ever and if they have an issue they are wrong so please notify me
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:33:35 pm by MKnance »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 19, 2009, 11:31:22 pm »
Yes on that digg someone has mentioned they have contacted square enix and there was never sent out a C&D
and i would like to know if this project is completed are is almosted completed if its secrecy i don't care just forum pm it or email me the info please i really like to play it when its finish and its a rom hack and your doing it for no money reason what so ever and if they have an issue they are wrong so please notify me graalsarah@yahoo.com or forum pm me it thank you
- signed Matthew Nance

O fearless one, thou hast come too late. Also, do some reading before posting like this. Nobody here is working on it. Nobody here has it. It isn't/won't be/never was finished. It's gone.

You should check youtube though, there are some really neat videos there.

MKnance

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 19, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »
Why don't they create a new chrono trigger fan based rom hack but implement those laws inside the readme that will cause square enix nothing to do because you have proof in readme that you aka they have the right to do it?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 20, 2009, 01:44:30 am »
I think what SE was worried about was that it was a rom hack which encouraged downloading roms instead of buying new DS cartridges. I don't think they really cared what was done, they just wanted to stop modding period. This is my opinion, of course, but if someone were to do it again and announce it in any way they could get hit with a lawsuit at worst or another CnD at best if SE thought it popular enough to do monetary damage.