Author Topic: C&D: Director's Response  (Read 51540 times)

LSK

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: C&D: Directors' Response
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »
There's a really nice and viable solution that won't take a lot of work and won't incur SE's wrath.

Keep the game while changing the names and the sprites of the lead characters. Make it, essentially, original. Then the hard work doesn't go to waste and the public gets to at least play it. It's more important that the author's five years don't go to waste than the game's being a Chrono Trigger game - any game is better than none.

Xshu

• Iokan (+1)
  • Let there be justice, even if it kills the world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 07:09:38 pm »
That would only work if the game wasn't already a ROM hack.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 07:52:56 pm »
Right, this was a ROM hack, which means changing the characters, names, etc. would still mean you're using the CT engine, which is where much of the problem comes from. Likewise if they started from scratch, but kept the plot, changed the names and everything, it would still take years to complete. It's a nice suggestion, and it's been suggested tens of times, but it's unrealistic.

And the entire "someone should release it, they can't do shit" is a terrible idea. Zeality and everyone already told SE that they deleted all copies. If a copy appears, it'll go back to them, regardless of who did it. Look, being annoyed by SE's actions is one thing, but consider the fact that the people who made CE are real people, with real lives, and this could potentially be a real and huge problem. Leave the legal advice to people who really know what they're talking about, it's nice that you care, but let Zeality and them get real advice from real people.

Oh and we don't need to cuss out or boycott SE, cause this C&D is really something from a legal department, I doubt most of the employees at Square know about it or give a care. SE's recent actions don't reflect the company entirely...Passion is one thing, but nonsensical claims and hate rants really have no purpose.

Just let the people really dealing with this situation tell us what's happening and keep us updated, cause ultimately that's all that matters.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:56:06 pm by mav »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 07:53:50 pm »
Just a little side note...

I called Square Enix this afternoon at my lunch break.  It's legit.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 09:45:38 pm »

But it'd still go back to the main source, Zeality.  They practically know where he lives which is incredibly creepy and stalkerish...

holy................... :shock: man even if you're on your home computer they can track you down?!

But then the future refused to change.

Glenn27

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »
"Zeality and everyone already told SE that they deleted all copies. If a copy appears, it'll go back to them, regardless of who did it."

Yes, they deleted all personal copies.  That does not mean that someone who was given a copy necessarily complied with their instructions.  In which case.... it's not their fault if it gets released and SE can't really do anything.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 10:15:09 pm »
Yes, they deleted all personal copies.  That does not mean that someone who was given a copy necessarily complied with their instructions.  In which case.... it's not their fault if it gets released and SE can't really do anything.

That's how Square Enix is planning to treat it, though. It's wickedly ingenious when you think about it, basically saying that "if you leak the game, even if we can't get you, we'll get the people who worked so hard to make the game, so think about that". It forces anyone outside the circle of accountability who's planning to leak it to make a sadistic choice, so to speak.

"This is why only fools are heroes — because you never know when Square Enix will come along with a sadistic choice.  Let die the game you love... or suffer the little creators. Make your choice, game leaker, and see how a hero is rewarded."

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 10:15:40 pm »
"Zeality and everyone already told SE that they deleted all copies. If a copy appears, it'll go back to them, regardless of who did it."

Actually, they're still liable for that (though the extent would be "give us the list of people other than the development team who had access to it" to prepare the rabid attack lawyers weasels lawyers wolverines lawyers for suing the pants off of whoever did it).

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:51 pm »
Not to get redundant, but just cause it's not their fault doesn't mean that they won't be held responsible. Look, do you really think SE is gonna be understanding at this point? "Oh, one of your beta testers released it? Oh, well that's fine, it's not your fault." No, they'll be hard about it: "Look, you told us you got rid of all copies and that you instructed everyone else to do so. Since you couldn't stop it, we'll go ahead and hold you responsible."

Glenn27

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »
So that's it?  Everybody just wants to submit to letting Square-Enix screw over the fans without fighting for what's right?  I don't buy that SE would still be able to go after them if someone else released it rogue.

SE's just making threats, the same way that that movie studio made fake threats to Nintendo to try and force them to hand over the gaming license to Donkey Kong.  And this game isn't going to have any negative effect on SE's already massive profits.

I think surrendering is the last thing fans should be considering and it's shame that so many want to do just that.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »
It's like playing Russian Roulette, which is pretty fun to watch but not much fun if you're the one playing. Even if there's only a 5% chance of Square suing and ruining the creators' lives, they're viewing that as a chance they don't want to take.

I'm so torn on this it's not funny, but it's ultimately their decision. We all wish they would fight on, but I won't blame them if they don't.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:35 pm »
Even if it isn't profit this isn't their original creation. It does belong to SE they have the right. Do I like what they did, no. But they have the right, just like how the kid who sits next to me in math has the right to not let me use his work for one question on the homework. I wanted to play CE badly but frankly if I had made a series like Chrono Trigger I would not want fans to tamper with my stories or my characters. Although I would at least check out the game and decide whether or not to get rid of it.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 10:40:02 pm »
Having the right doesn't make it right. The police in Montgomery, Alabama had the right to make Rosa Parks get up from her seat in 1955, and I don't see anyone arguing that that was right.

Glenn27

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 10:40:39 pm »
Even if they permanently destroy their creation and never allow it to see the light of day to anyone for all time, I don't think there's any way the creators will ever be happy about this, having their Dream taken away.  They should just find a way to get the game out and say to hell with the consequences.  Yes, they may get in trouble but they won't have to sacrifice their Dream and they won't have to live with any regrets about what could have been.

Plus, like I said, SE would have to be careful how they pursued it to avoid attracting too much controversy from the gaming community.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103233/

(17 minutes in)

TheGary

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 10:46:52 pm »
Most people here probably don't like country music, but this basically says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hja0XND8Ms

You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.