Author Topic: THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY  (Read 32467 times)

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
Re: THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 02:02:34 am »
It's amazing people on other forums get so worked up about this. It really has nothing to do with optimal forum usage. It's all about promulgating means of social conformity. "THIS IS OUR CUSTOM!! TO BE LIKE US YOU MUST ACT LIKE US!!!"

Bosh.

There are a few plausible reasons why people don't like thread necromancy beyond conformity; I've never really seen other board try to force it upon each other and I have seen many other boards that have nothing against it. It just seems like a rule a lot of people enjoy...

Personally I couldn't care one way or the other; it doesn't seem like that big of an issue, as long as people respect the rules of the board they are using.

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 11:14:36 pm »
It's amazing people on other forums get so worked up about this. It really has nothing to do with optimal forum usage. It's all about promulgating means of social conformity. "THIS IS OUR CUSTOM!! TO BE LIKE US YOU MUST ACT LIKE US!!!"

Bosh.

There are a few plausible reasons why people don't like thread necromancy beyond conformity; I've never really seen other board try to force it upon each other and I have seen many other boards that have nothing against it. It just seems like a rule a lot of people enjoy...

Personally I couldn't care one way or the other; it doesn't seem like that big of an issue, as long as people respect the rules of the board they are using.

You've obviously never been to Qhimm. Thread necromancy is a dire sin there and you will have your head torn off because of it.... then reattached so they can yell at you.

On many forums there is a reason to avoid it... a simple one. They don't get new members often and whenever everyone has said their piece, it is the end of the discussion and no new information will be brought to light. Most fora do not have an intellectual basis at all...

Most threads that get revived are threads about "how do I ____"; "can I have ____"; etc. And whatever the consensus is at one time, will always remain the consensus. It is also a deadly sin on such fora to create a new thread about that topic (instead of reviving the old one) as well as generally talking about it at all.

On many fora the basic concept is this:
"If you weren't here the first time this was discussed, you have no right to know anything about it, so don't even ask."

There are also varying rules about multithreading... Some places encourage the creation of individual threads for each person that has a question about any given topic...and discourage bringing your own concerns into someone else's thread entirely... while others are the opposite, and believe that any topic should have one and only one thread, and everyone should talk about it there... This is usually accompanied by the thread burial rule... ending up in a finite-information-sink... once the thread dies, it is assumed (or rather, militantly enforced) that no new information did, does, will, or CAN exist on the matter. Ever.

This is why people get so stuck up on thread necromancy... it is not generally well received in many many fora, and this conditions patrons into trying to enforce it by habit.

The abused become abusers in turn.

On this forum in particular, it may be the presence of the notifier that mentions the age of a thread and that one might reconsider posting in it... It's all about mixed messaged. The rules say it's ok; the software still discourages it.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 08:21:44 pm »
...fora...

Did you just use the Latin plural for forum? Yes, yes you did. Awesome.

On topic, though, curiously the most efficient means of controlling thread necromancy is simple community apathy. Revive a topic, and if no one responds or cares, then people are rather unlikely to do it again. You can get uppity people, though, if they are lambasted for posting when it is taboo.

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:42 pm »
Has it been discussed yet if it is a thread about 2 years old? That should be mentioned...
I personally think it is okay if the thread is still on the front page, it won't really disrupt the flow of threads, or lack thereof comparing this to other forums; it does move a little slower.
Of course, it annoys everyone when the oldest thread visible is bumped up and the only reply is something like "OMG SOOO TRUEE!!!! :D"

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 01:45:00 am »
Well, nonsense posts aren't really looked down upon here, as long as they're not spammy. I think there's just been a lack of things to talk about since Crimson Echoes. Good to see some fresh blood in here, though I'm not an admin I do check the forums every day and I'm sure others do too, so if you see a thread and you have something to say, go for it! Maybe it'll breathe some life and discussion back into the place?
:)

Grace Ashtear

• Earthbound (+15)
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 02:05:26 am »
Well, nonsense posts aren't really looked down upon here, as long as they're not spammy.

Ah, I like this place even more now. And what you mean by spammy, I assume that My example above isn't *as* bad, but if one has to scroll through 1,000 lines of SKDFA;ADLSKLKSDFFSALKJF, then we have a problem. Mostly rules are made like that with the note "only bump if you have something new to add" since I joined yesterday, I think I have a thing or two to add to some topics. :)
P.S. You were saying the image was annoying in my signature earlier. is it to a tolerable level now that I could make it smaller?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:46 am »
*chortle*

*chuckle*

Heh...

He he heh...

Tee hee hee hee!!!

MUAH HA HA HA HA HAAAAH!!!!

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2023, 03:38:18 pm »
Just checking that bringing back old threads is still okay.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2023, 09:25:09 pm »
Indeed, it's still okay! And encouraged!