Author Topic: For Everyone Depressed  (Read 1842 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
For Everyone Depressed
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:50:11 am »
Crimson Echoes only existed because of massive effort, hard work, and optimism in the springtime of youth.

I'm sure we'll throw out the interview I did sooner or later once I determine it's safe and edit it, but it talks about the development history. And that history is mostly Agent 12 working alone. I likened the CE forum to an abandoned shack in a desert.

You see, I wanted to kill CE in 2007. It was a massive project without enough support, and it felt it would never be done. It was a thorn in my side because it felt like the only thing I couldn't conclusively finish; like the one unachievable goal at the Compendium. But Agent 12 came back and started working his ass off on it. By a year later, he had coded the basic events for the entire game himself. At this point, I had no choice to get back and involved. I had to match his springtime of youth with my own, and I wrote dialogue for most of the game. And then Chrono'99 came back; he had contributed a lot before. Not to be outdone, Chrono'99, who's been so busy with real life that he's been away from the Compendium at times, made sacrifices in his life to fight the power and match our contributions with his own "crazy map skills"  :kamina and other talents.

So, in the end, most of CE came from the hard work and belief of three individuals, and particularly Agent 12. This is how it goes in life. It's just another testament to what one person can do if they dare to dream and pursue that dream with all the passion, intensity, and intelligence they can unleash.

There's been a change in my thinking over the last few years. Some people think of activities they'd like to do, then weigh the risks and involve fear in their decision-making. Instead, these days, it really does seem to be the case that I define some my most important goals, dreams, or ambitions, and then imagine the obstacles and risks involved with a backdrop of complete determination. Consequently, these obstacles and risks are scrutinized with dynamically constructive energy and outlook. I decide that a dream is absolutely worth pursuing, and then resolve to deal with any risk and obstacle that comes my way.

But it wasn't but over a year ago that I very seriously feared the future and several other things. It's worth making a list; these fears were pervasive.

• The future - This was the worst. I simply didn't think about my career, or where I'd live, or what I wanted to do and what kind of ambitions I had. To do so would be to invoke all sorts of fears about the rigor, work, and pains involved, but it would also be acknowledgment of several painful truths. Above all else, it would have been knowing my idyllic, mildly depressed life of pleasures would come to an end, and I didn't have any direction or course for finding something meaningful.
  • Death - In childhood, I was bothered with the idea of "Who created God?", which I felt that if I asked this question aloud, the Universe would cease to exist. After that, thinking about the infinite size of the cosmos and death were reasons for fear. I'd try to put them out of my mind, especially at night; I think this is what gave rise to that silly quote that "atheists are only half by night."
  • Love - Since I was depressed about a kind of failed relationship, I had zero confidence about meeting someone new, and sought no experience in meeting new people.
  • Travel - This is in line with death. It's almost comically bizarre to remember, but I feared to make even 2 or 3 hour long trips by car for fear of dying in a crash. It seems like I never paid attention to the gravity of the reasons I wanted to travel to some place, but focused only on the fear of transport. And it was enough to stop me sometimes.
  • Illumination - Put all these together, and you have a fear of personal growth. I feared to "win" because I feared to "lose."

Now, what's the story? Well, I've acknowledged the future and I can't wait to realize my shining dreams. Death? I don't have time to worry about death, and I've realized that logically, fearing to die on a personal level is totally meaningless and futile anyway. (Fearing to die because someone else would be sad or depends on you is a little more legitimate). The wild expanse of the Universe? That's an opportunity for exploration, not a cause for fear. Love is one of my grand dreams, and I'm pursuing it well. Travel is the gateway to new experiences and people, and the rewards vastly outweigh the minuscule risks (well, I am going to first-world countries, admittedly). And illumination, well...all roads lead to that.

I still had a huge period of fear to go through when I "woke up" in early 2008, most of it centering around March 2008. That was a hellish month. I realized how pathetic I had become, and I had met someone who was wildly opposite to me in all the most stinging ways. They were traveled, independent, and courageous. And what had I done with my intelligence? Hid, and rot in my mild illusory life. It was hard realizing this; I spent many days that month waking up feeling sick to my stomach, and waking up before I had completed a full night's sleep and finding myself unable to go back to sleep because of the dread in my stomach. Part of the horrible awakening was identifying terrifyingly with "Pearl in the Shell," a song by Howard Jones (a wonderful New Wave artist and, from what I know so far, a wonderful human being). The imagery in the video was nightmare fuel for me. You'll understand immediately what it means to keep your "pearl in the shell":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjmHN-UmeU&fmt=18

But it's over. I have more faith in myself than ever before, because I've gotten down and dared to seriously dream. I've started living the springtime of youth. I took an accelerated course for a graduate degree and though it's kicked my ass on occasion, I'm getting through it. I'll be able to go wherever I will to achieve my dreams and help improve the human condition by using my business and leadership acumen to fight things like sexism.

I'd be lying if I said I weren't afraid. But really, what's the use of fear? I've got my dreams and I'm hellbent on achieving them. Once you commit to something and find faith in yourself, nothing can stand in your way. Believe in your path and run through it!

Whether it's laughable or irrational, we're beautifully following the golden road.
If there's a wall, we tear it down!
If there's no path, we'll cut one with our own hands!
The fire in our hearts is burning like hot magma!
Perfect combination!
Gurren-Lagann!

Even if we were to be enslaved in the galaxy's cycle of rebirth,
The feelings that were left behind will open the door!
Even if the infinite Universe were to go against us,
Our burning blood will cut through fate!
We'll break through the heavens and dimensions!
We'll show you our path through force!
Tengen Toppa! Gurren-Lagann!
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!?!

Right, who the hell do you think we are?!?! We're human beings. And human beings, with enough time and effort, can understand and do anything.

If you can see the future, never look back.

If I have any kind of legacy as ZeaLitY on this website, then beyond anything to do with the Chrono series, I hope I can just give people a simple, important message, through words or an example in the springtime of youth. And that message is,

ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWER!

GET FIRED UP YOU BASTARDS, I'M IN THE SPRINGTIME OF MY YOUTH

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:58:30 pm by FaustWolf »

Kenji

• Fan Project Leader
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ideologues
Re: For Everyone Depressed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 01:55:28 am »
Hear, hear!!

Thank you for sharing this and reminding us all that we must walk on toward tomorrow!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:59:11 am by Kenji »

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:31:44 am »
Zeality, thank you very much for sharing this.  Great perspective here.  Good to know this hit wasn't too hard...

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:50:01 am »
I wish I could think like that.
I'm kind of jealous that you can have that out look after such an upsetting event.
You’re an impressive person that‘s for sure and that somehow makes me feel a little better about life. Thank you.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:52:46 am »
It took a long time to get here. I discovered Naruto in late 2002 thanks to Ramsus, and Rock Lee soon after. My change from a lazy, passive, uninterested person into the meager drop of youth I am now took a lot of effort and time, but it's proof that anyone can do it.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 04:40:36 am »
Knowing that you, someone who actually invested a lot of time and energy into this project, is looking positively towards the future motivates the rest of us who were just waiting for it to be finished. I'm really sad, but your post is encouraging(even though i read it before, you modified it well for this situation). If SE did this to me, I'd be crying for days... or weeks, so good for you!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:57:05 am »
Just take everything in stride, meow...
Tomorrow is another day, meow...

For some reason, I feel like the cat from CC is speaking in my head in a strange voice.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:28:22 am »
 :lol: You certainly are inspiring!

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:16:17 am »
*stands up and claps*

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 01:24:10 am »
Ahh...I'm getting there. I'm not nearly that much of a go-getter, but I'm getting there. I've resolved to get there!

And thanks. I'm really quite angry about the C&D but even someone with no life outside of gaming like myself realizes that there are more important things in life than long-awaited and much-needed sequels. It still hurts...but I've already gotten over it.

But I'll never forgive them!

This is why they pay you the big money (not really): you're fired-up for life!

Den Zurin

• Iokan (+1)
  • Na'vi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:08:46 pm »
Square Enix is really bastards. What their business if fans want to create mod (non-commercial) for favorite game?
If I like Harry Potter or LOTR, I have right for writing fanfiction. If I like Quake 3, I have right for creating maps. If I like Chrono Trigger, I have right for creating mods. It violates not copyrights, while I sell not your mod.
What a pity, Chrono Trigger hasn't GNU GPL license. May be, ideas of GNU will change this world?

But we have a chance. I offer to create new RPG game, with original setting, role system etc. This game must be like CT (in setting and plot), but without materials of Square Enix. May use any game constructor (example, RPG Maker) for creating this game.
Of curse, it's not very easy - to create original setting and plot. But it's possible, I believe.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:37:53 pm »
Creating the setting and plot, especially when morphed from existing source material, would be the EASY part.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:18 pm »
Never said so better myself. *chuckles as he brushes his hair past his eyes*

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 03:48:36 am »
*goes from being depressed over recent news & cries tears of joy*

Damn, that has got to be one hell of an epic motivational bit there, Z.

And as for my own life, it has plunged into a dark pit of nasty - job-wise, anyhoo (my boss showed me that he really doesn't give a fuck about me, despite pouring 3 years of hard work into all I do). I've been surviving on the fact that I got over my shyness in public and now have a crazy-awesome collection of friends (all fans of anime/games/cosplay, who get together once a month to hang out, cosplay, & party).

But in lieu of recent crap (my boss reduced my already tiny hours even more... 12 this week? WTF?), I've been given a powerful reason to go out and fight passionately to improve my life. And Z, this inspirational post of yours was just the thing I needed to fill me with hope. It may seem hopeless to pursue old dreams of the past (there's no way I could ever become a voice actress, and even if I did, it'd require me to move out of state and away from my family - whom I love dearly), but I can at least pursue the desire to live a happy life and have a decent job that supports my lifestyle/hobbies.

...So starting this Thursday (I'm off that day, thanks to my dumb boss), I WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS and do my best to get myself a better job and make my life not suck!!!!!  :kamina

Guts

• Iokan (+1)
  • The Black Swordsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 06:42:06 am »
Very nice post mate, I think we all have some growing to do at all times. Growing always is part of life and learning, experiencing and just living is what makes life a privilege. Although I have gripes on how this society works, I believe you can do anything you set your mind to, which that alone is cliche enough to say but it is true. I'm glad you got yourself out of the hole you were in and hope your new lifestyle or more likely how it always should have been for you, bares fruit.