Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 178504 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #780 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:00 pm »
Technically Temporal Flux cannot be shut down, as it doesn't distribute or contain any SE property. Yes, it's used to *modify* one of their ROMs, but the user would need to get the ROM themselves.

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 03, 2009, 05:27:00 am »
Sorry for not replying sooner, I wasn't involved in or even aware of Echoes until tonight, and I jumped over here as fast I could to give my condolences.  I have to say, I know that no one can say anything, but I hope one of you has kept a copy of the game you worked for five years to create.  Please, I hope one of you had the intelligence and foresight to quietly back up a copy on your home machine, and I hope you're enjoying playing it through even now.

It will take more than this to make me stop enjoying SE games.  But I really wish they'd stop beating up the Chrono fans.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »
You know what else pisses me off?

They're charging 37 dollars for the complete Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on WiiWare. 800 Wii Points for the start of the game, 800 for the end, and 300 each for seven side chapters.

If they can get 37 goddamn dollars for The After Years, they could EASILY charge 30 bucks for Crimson Echoes and a ton of people would totally buy it. I'd buy it. Does Square Enix not like making money or something?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2009, 01:50:16 pm »
If they can get 37 goddamn dollars for The After Years, they could EASILY charge 30 bucks for Crimson Echoes and a ton of people would totally buy it. I'd buy it. Does Square Enix not like making money or something?

They don't like money printed with english words. Also, games.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2009, 10:30:38 pm »
lol you could say that

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 04, 2009, 04:49:09 pm »
Now that we've seen how the Super Mario has helped shape Conan O'Brien's Tonight Show backdrop, we had to get Nintendo's reaction. We did.

"That's great," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said as he looked at it for the first time during his interview with Kotaku.

"We know that he is a fan of what we do, and we're thrilled to have him as a passionate Nintendo fan. maybe we'll have to go play some Wii Sports Resort as well as."

So, no cease and desist, Reggie? "No. For Conan, we'll let that one slide."

Maybe you guys should let Conan O'Brien release Crimson Echoes!

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 04, 2009, 05:04:40 pm »
:) I love conan. I'm sick of reading bad reviews about him I think he's doing a fantastic job.  Though I'm not sure how I feel about Andy yet...I liked Max/Conan banter more I think.

--JP

FalconHit

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 04, 2009, 05:23:40 pm »
Yeah, not a fan of Andy myself, but aside from the lack of Joel Goddard and Conan/Max banter, the show is largely the same.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 04, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »
Personally, I'd have to say keep the CE ROM stored away indefinitely, in case of a court case involving copyright like this is won. That can be used as a good defense to continue CE. Although, I'd take SE to court first to win the right, otherwise they can sue the compendium and cost us.

See, if you destroy every asset of CE, and something does happen that justifies its production... well, I can imagine the CE team would end up with a feeling of regret.

So, to keep it short, keep CE but don't distribute it (not publicly at least). I think what's common with CE, PG, CTR, CTRB, etc is that their project info was out in the open for anyone to read. Keep your projects amongst your friends I say, or at least people you trust a lot.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:18 pm »
Legally, they shouldn't require you to destroy every copy until everything is completely resolved legally. You might be required to take extreme pains to protect that copy against hackers and leaks, of course.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 04, 2009, 06:24:08 pm »
Again, I doubt SE would've done anything, let alone know about it, if it was a lot more subtle.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 04, 2009, 07:51:09 pm »
Legally, they shouldn't require you to destroy every copy until everything is completely resolved legally. You might be required to take extreme pains to protect that copy against hackers and leaks, of course.

Yeah but the whole point was "destroy everything or else you will have to resolve a legal situation", NOT "we're gonna sue you before we tell you to stop"

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:58 pm »
Of course, there would've been no way for them to tell if anyone kept a copy or not.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 04, 2009, 08:00:49 pm »
Of course, there would've been no way for them to tell if anyone kept a copy or not.

Well, all we can do is hope. It's like in court. Innocent until proven guilty. I believe the developers and testers destroyed everything until I see proof that it's not true. There's no reason not to believe them.

Besides, FW's video isn't exactly perfect, and there's a lot that isn't explored. If they still had a copy, they could have captured a new, fuller playthrough with no mistakes. But they didn't, which I take as indirect evidence that there is nothing left but the existing video.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 04, 2009, 08:03:42 pm »
If they still had a copy and did the more thorough playthrough, it'd be evidence that they still had a copy.