Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 176890 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #765 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24:50 pm »
Quote from: RySenkari
What the hell is wrong with fan projects?

I also once thought that developing one's own IP was "superior" to fan projects, but I've since grown disillusioned with the notion that entire worlds, with their own enormous  and fascinating histories, can just die out once the intellectual property holder decides to stop developing them. The drive to create new intellectual properties - ultimately tied to the profit motive - is giving rise to a huge number of worlds that are never explored in-depth. Something about this just seems unjust to me.

But assuming that developing one's own brand-new world is somehow morally superior to enriching something that already exists and hasn't been touched for a decade, fan projects still serve hugely beneficial purposes. Firstly, fan projects are capable of drawing together numerous individuals of different and varying talents to enrich one another through cooperative experience. Secondly, for those who do wish to pursue their own IP down the road, fan projects give them practice fleshing out characters, themes, etc. It was for the latter reason that I wanted to develop Chrono projects, but once I jumped in I found I have gained hugely as a person. That is ultimately where the Compendium and the projects it houses draw their greatest worth.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:49:30 pm by FaustWolf »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #766 on: May 28, 2009, 12:36:54 am »
Oh don't worry, everyone is a prick in some way.
I lol'd
A teacher I once had made a distinction between guys and girls: "When a guy gets angry or sad, he'll punch a wall and feel better--mentally, since he's now got a broken hand. When a girl is angry or sad, she has  good cry and lets it all out and then feels better--mentally, of course, as she's now congested and tired."

Sooooo your teacher was sexist? Or held really bad double standerds?

Oh and Dark Serge is a prick....I mean it. He was Alienati0r or whatever that guys name was....the e-mail guy.

Ahahaha! No, he was just making a very black-and-white comparison to prove a point, just as I was. I don't remember what his point was, but we all knew, due to context, that he did not literally mean every single guy punches walls or every single girl cries her eyes out.

Also, I know about the Alienat0r thing now, but thanks.

WeretigerRei

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:05 am »
So you guys were able to prove this letter came from SE and not some 4channer try to troll you guys right? Have you recieved confirmation from them that they did send this? People on Romhacking are saying that its fake.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 28, 2009, 04:03:33 am »
The letter is not a hoax, as CE team communication (like, "I talk, then you talk" communication) with Square Enix has proven. I can see where skeptics are coming from given the lack of public confirmation on SE's side, but it's unfortunate that they're simply wrong in this case. In any case, I wish rh.net all the best, and hope for all fans' sake that they themselves do not receive any C&Ds.

WeretigerRei

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 28, 2009, 04:22:45 am »
I wonder what this means for a project like Chrono Crisis where most of their content is 100% from scratch

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 28, 2009, 04:56:03 am »
I wonder what this means for a project like Chrono Crisis where most of their content is 100% from scratch

It's now an independent project. They've left the Chrono universe and are doing a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger. They won't be getting a C&D letter from anyone.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:52 am »
lets hope so but i wonder if 90 groups announced there doing a chrono trigger remake/addon/sequel/prequels/add ons
would they all get cease and desisted and they all decide to puch on then what would happen

sorry just an idiot thinking out loud

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 28, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »

It's now an independent project. They've left the Chrono universe and are doing a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger. They won't be getting a C&D letter from anyone.

Well, Chrono Ark is doing that. Is Chains still doing Crisis? Does anybody know anything about that?

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 28, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »
http://member.square-enix.com/na/fanzone/groups/grouptop.php?gid=182

you wouldn't happen to think square enix came to this site via that group right?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 28, 2009, 03:12:18 pm »
Well, Chrono Ark is doing that. Is Chains still doing Crisis? Does anybody know anything about that?

I think the official word is that Chains is still doing Chrono Crisis, but, honestly, he wasn't going to complete it even with a development team supporting him. Now that he's by himself, Crisis is almost certainly destined for the darkness beyond time.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #775 on: May 28, 2009, 04:26:37 pm »
http://member.square-enix.com/na/fanzone/groups/grouptop.php?gid=182

you wouldn't happen to think square enix came to this site via that group right?

If that's so, then my bad. I doubt it though since I never linked or talked about, nor would I have allowed if someone else started to, CE in the group. So basically there was nothing in there that SE couldn't have found by Googling "Chrono Trigger"...*shrugs*

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 28, 2009, 08:28:51 pm »
If that's so, then my bad. I doubt it though since I never linked or talked about, nor would I have allowed if someone else started to, CE in the group. So basically there was nothing in there that SE couldn't have found by Googling "Chrono Trigger"...*shrugs*

heh it is definitely not your fault bud.

There might have been a covert operative here at the right place at the right time, or maybe this whole time under our noses.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 28, 2009, 09:29:11 pm »
But CE was not a completely secret project, especially after the beta test news and the trailer.  :picardno

Magus-X

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 30, 2009, 11:28:23 pm »
Fucking blows! This is sure my last post as I am retiring from this forum.  :picardno  :x

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 30, 2009, 11:34:18 pm »
CE was advertised a good amount, just going to be honest.  Sure, it could've been advertised more, but ultimately the game wasn't a secret. Far from it, in fact.