Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 177075 times)

Unclever title

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #750 on: May 27, 2009, 06:00:02 pm »
Being polite spared ZeaLitY and JP any risk of lawsuit. It got us exactly zero else. Once we went supine, SE walked all over us. You'll see that in the news update today.

If I may corrupt a famous maxim, when an elephant is stepping on a mouse, it does the mouse zero good to be polite about it, and it makes zero difference if the elephant is being polite about it.

Well being polite and being compliant are two separate things.  In both cases I think the CE team made the smart move considering the situation, but it would not help us in the eyes of the world outside of the Compendium and SE to respond to the C&D with a big gigantic "F!%*$ YOU you F@#)@$ F#@%@RS!" even if the Compendium's decision in regards to the C&D decision.  Cathartic as it may be in the long run it doesn't help anyone.  So I think it makes a small difference at least, particularly if we want fan games and Rom Hacks to be more acceptable in the long run.

However I do agree that people should feel free to post their feelings and opinions of SE, especially if they are new to the news.  If however a poster is repeating themselves then... come on... Unless of course your Faustwolf considering he's essentially officiating this thread he needs to repeat the Compendium's stance.

Of course, we all would probably appreciate it, posters who are new to the news, if you're going to post suggestions then either read the whole long thread or use the 'Search' function up above between 'Help' and 'Profile' or ctrl F of the pages themselves.  Faustwolf can of course feel free to negate what I just said.

Anyway, if I happen to sound condescending, my bad, I don't have very good control over my internet accent after all.  And I seem to have lost my conclusion...

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 27, 2009, 06:08:00 pm »
For me, the bottom line is that no matter what happens (unless Square capitulates and lets you guys release the game), I will never, ever, EVER forgive Square for this. I don't care how polite they are and I don't care what anyone says, I will hold this grudge against them until the day I die and there's only one thing that would change that.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:06 pm »
For me, the bottom line is that no matter what happens (unless Square capitulates and lets you guys release the game), I will never, ever, EVER forgive Square for this. I don't care how polite they are and I don't care what anyone says, I will hold this grudge against them until the day I die and there's only one thing that would change that.

Don't be ridicilous, you know you can't possibly keep that promise.

KitsuneSefam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 27, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »

Don't be ridicilous, you know you can't possibly keep that promise.

I don't see how hard of a promise with all the crap Squeenix released in the last 5 years. :picardno

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 27, 2009, 06:20:50 pm »
Serge, just because you can't doesnt mean no one else can.  You cannot in any frame of mind tell someone what they can and can't do.  You can ASSUME it, but by no means does that make it true.  Also, I feel pround of my Prick like post now xD.  It started a nice (I use the term loosely) little conversation amongst us, that differs from the basic whining that people have been doing xD.  So, You're welcome, but once again, I'm sorry for being such a prick xD

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 27, 2009, 06:22:43 pm »
Oh don't worry, everyone is a prick in some way.

But yeah that's pretty much like a hardcore stoner saying "What cigarettes prices have been raised to 10 dollars, I quit smoking tomorrow."

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 27, 2009, 06:26:45 pm »
I'm certainly not going to keep ranting about Square here, everyone's clearly moved on, but everywhere else I go, I'm gonna let people know how much I hate Square.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 27, 2009, 09:27:12 pm »
I lol'd

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 27, 2009, 09:41:28 pm »
I lol'd
Me to. :lol: Well the truth is funny.

I feel I have been a little rude with my be polite talk. What I mean is  it's ok to complain or voice your feelings. It's not ok to go on about how SquareEnix is the devil or that it deserves to rot in hell (once again as if the company itself was a living thing) when frankly the worst they have done is their jobs. Or to go on about how we are justice fighters who are being kept down by the evil empire.

I'm not saying that I agree with them, but it wasn't their job to tell us what we wanted to hear. The lawyers who sent the C&D had a obligation to do so. Treating SE like everyone who works there should die or is an evil tyrant for it is over the top.

It's tragic that CE was C&D but the way people go about it makes it sound like there was nothing else abotu Chrono we wanted except CE. Oh boy the egg on your face if (and by that I mean when) SE announces the next Chrono game. It'll be "Well I always knew they would" and "When did I say that I wasn't going to buy another SE game?"
Everyone seems to have forgotten that our #1 goal should be convinceing SE to make antoher game, not telling them how much we hate them and that we will never buy another one of their games (yes that convinces them: "hey let's make a game for that fandom that said it'll never touch another SE game again")

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 27, 2009, 09:43:58 pm »
Let people boycott SE if they want. You and I are under no obligation to join, nor do we have any standing to interfere in the right of others to choose for themselves. Honestly, I expect--and hope--that this cold splash of water will be the trigger for some members of our community to move away from fan projects and toward their own, original material.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:10 pm »
What the hell is wrong with fan projects?

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 27, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »
Let people boycott SE if they want. You and I are under no obligation to join, nor do we have any standing to interfere in the right of others to choose for themselves. Honestly, I expect--and hope--that this cold splash of water will be the trigger for some members of our community to move away from fan projects and toward their own, original material.

I stop caring about what people say or do abotu SE now. Originally I didn't like it because SE was apparently being civil about everything. Now I found out they where rude (read "The Month That Could Have Been Announcement" for more info.) I don't care abotu it anymore. I personally won't hate SE because they wern't personally insulting me or the fans. It's just business. I will however hold a great deal of contempt for Dark Serge.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #762 on: May 27, 2009, 10:03:46 pm »
I lol'd

True, however...this is the internet. You are now physically capable of hiding the fact that you're a jerk, if you are one.

Of course...people who are jerks are not likely to pay heed to this, because any and all advice directed towards then to the end of making them nicer-seeming people is promptly dissed.

Where am I going with this? Probably nowhere, but...I do sort of wonder about some of the people posting on this board. I've seen quite a few posts saying, basically, that everyone needs to get over the C&D and get on with their lives because it really isn't that important and there are better things to spend time on (Notice I didn't say 'waste' time? I do not consider the several years put into CE a waste...). To this I give a both scientific and artistic response.

If I draw a picture in five minutes and some guy walks by and spills his coffee on it, my frustration can be spent in about five seconds, and my anger dissipated in five minutes. It's no big deal because I spent only FIVE MINUTES of my life on the drawing. Have you ever heard the expression 'to build up steam?' It means to get more and more involved in a project as time goes by. It takes five minutes to blow off the steam I built up before seeing it ruined. And so then I start over. Easy.
The CE team, however, spent YEARS working on that project only to have it shut down at very nearly the last minute. Several years is a long time to build up steam, and not only that, but they can't just start over. So they have all this pent-up energy and excitement that's been turned into sadness and anger, and nowhere to put it.

Here's where the science comes in, and it's not really...real science. But whatever. THe conservation of energy. The CE team was full of the energy and excitement of the project, more so than any of us who hadn't had a hand in making it directly. Let's say they had 10,000 Joules of creative energy put together (whereas most people have, say, 10 Joules on average)--now turned to frustration energy. They've been trying to release steam, which is going to be a long process for some of them--sure, they'll get past it and go on with their lives, but forgiving and forgetting is another matter--and much of that energy is released into the fanbase. Well, if they started with 10,000 J and they've burned off 500 J (an optimistic figure), that five hundred has transferred in bits and pieces to everyone who gives to shakes about the project.

Of course, the science doesn't work because the full 10,000 J was unleashed upon the Chrono fans, and now the combined frustration energy of the fans is probably more that that of those who worked on it, just because of our sheer numbers...but whatever. It gets the point across, which is the only purpose.

So basically, if you don't like people 'whining' about losing CE, go somewhere else. We're just blowing off steam in one of the only places we can. Here on the Compendium we won't get weird looks or cause injury to ourselves or the people/items in our vicinity. NO it won't do us any good, but it feels better to discuss things, even when the end result will never change.

A teacher I once had made a distinction between guys and girls: "When a guy gets angry or sad, he'll punch a wall and feel better--mentally, since he's now got a broken hand. When a girl is angry or sad, she has  good cry and lets it all out and then feels better--mentally, of course, as she's now congested and tired."

Well, the Compendium is a multi-gendered blob, so it could go either way. The CC equivalent of punching a wall would get us sued, so we opted for having a good cry. It is NOT the 'sissy' thing to do, it's the smart thing to do, so take your macho 'screw the law and FIGHT THE POWAH' and blow it out your nose. I'm not saying you can't still post that here, but it really isn't practical.

Also (and this is my last word on the subject--at least in this post), those of you who are actively insulting the Compendiumites who post their condolences/complaints/angry rants here: aren't you also angry? Just because you say you've gotten over it--and in your mind, everyone else should have, also--doesn't mean you're not still sore. A fight with your girlfriend/boyfriend,  even when resolved, can ruin an entire week, an I'm sure you'd resent it if your friends all told you to stop whining and get over it--or even worse, to punch your gf/bf.

And THAT is why you should stop dissing people who post here. It doesn't make them feel better about the situation immediately, but it feels good to say something about the project, even if it is, "FIGHT THE POWAH!!"

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 27, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »
What the hell is wrong with fan projects?

In case you hadn't noticed, there is this. From a practical standpoint, it's much better to do work where one has the opportunity for commercialization. That means working legitimately for some other interest, or else going independent. Given that you're on the record as saying that no one should have ownership over their own intellectual property, I wouldn't expect you to agree, but, since you asked, now you know.

Then there is the artistic issue. From an artistic standpoint, fan projects and other derivative works are much more constraining than original works. On the other hand, they are also much more accessible than starting from scratch. In both cases, this is because fan projects start out with a high degree of preexisting material from which to draw. This material is highly structured, in the form of existing locations, characters, storylines, dramatic themes, and so forth. These structures are largely retained by the fanartist--this is why fan projects are derivative even if they tell new stories or create new characters. The existence of these sophisticated structures is what makes fan projects so accessible, and at the same time so constraining. Rather than starting with a blank canvas, which can induce anxiety but which ultimately provides real freedom, doing a fan project means that the artist is starting with plenty of stuff already on the canvas. This demonstrates the power of art, and speaks to people's passions much more easily. Therefore, in artistic terms (as opposed to recreational terms), I consider fan projects ideally suited for people who are just getting started as artists. Such people are more likely to benefit from the educational offerings of fan work, and at the same time are less likely to be ready to create independent works.

This is what I was talking about when I made my previous post: I hope that Square Enix's actions can have the positive consequence of showing some of the people in our community that fan work is only a gateway to the much larger (and more lucrative) world of art. Those who are ready, and willing, can create their own worlds, just as Kato did for us. May they enjoy his inspirations and his success...

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:55 pm »
I lol'd
A teacher I once had made a distinction between guys and girls: "When a guy gets angry or sad, he'll punch a wall and feel better--mentally, since he's now got a broken hand. When a girl is angry or sad, she has  good cry and lets it all out and then feels better--mentally, of course, as she's now congested and tired."

Well, the Compendium is a multi-gendered blob, so it could go either way. The CC equivalent of punching a wall would get us sued, so we opted for having a good cry. It is NOT the 'sissy' thing to do, it's the smart thing to do, so take your macho 'screw the law and FIGHT THE POWAH' and blow it out your nose. I'm not saying you can't still post that here, but it really isn't practical.
Sooooo your teacher was sexist? Or held really bad double standerds? I'm a guy and crying is the only way I ever feel better. I never resort to punching something except for one time when a theropist suggested it. (It didn't work...I felt like hurt something.....hurting everything.... :D yea I'm a borderline sadist) I know it's not the point of this thread but that is sexist it suggests Men are inheriently violent and Women are inheriently whiney when it's actully they are both inheriently violent ^.^. Either way your teacher is a sexist and I hate him/her (gonna guess her based on the men are violent and selfdestructive thing, but it could be a guy) for saying such a thing.

Your right though it's fine to blow off steam. Better here then somewhere else ^.^ I just think people should becareful about what they say or type you might regret it later.

Oh and Dark Serge is a prick....I mean it. He was Alienati0r or whatever that guys name was....the e-mail guy.