Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 178436 times)

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #705 on: May 26, 2009, 01:18:51 am »
now, THAT was un called for.  Seriously, name calling is not needed.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 26, 2009, 02:21:03 am »
This is the final remnant of the work that I had here...

Wait, there was going to be a dancing Schala in CE?

Oh, F*** SQUARE ENIX

No, that was for another project.

But still, that last sentence still stands since SE also forced the other projects to stop.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 26, 2009, 05:19:10 am »
Fuck, you motherfuckers need to let this thread die.

YOUR IRONY IS NOTED. YOUR WASTED POST IS NOT.
                                                              ~V_Translanka

Bah, V. You and I both know enough is enough. I'm going to be the rude one to point that fact out.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:11 am »
I agree with Laith ^^
This thread makes everyone more depressed .

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 26, 2009, 08:33:10 am »
This thread makes everyone more depressed .

Then avoid this thread.  It's as simple as that.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 26, 2009, 09:41:30 am »
Then avoid this thread.  It's as simple as that.

It's funny how often this has to be repeated. There are a ton of threads you guys can resurrect if you look anywhere other than just the main forum page. If you don't like one specific thread, then show it by posting in other ones. The more you post here, the more replies you'll get, which will keep this thread alive. Them's the facts.

Uninventive Username

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 26, 2009, 09:55:12 am »
I honestly do not understand why so many people are upset over the C&D deal. Look, it is Square's right to do so, as their copyrighted material was being used, albeit not for a profit. But that does not matter in the eyes of the law. Sure, I think they're dicks for doing so, and it's not a good PR move, but again they can do as they please with their material.

That being said, they maybe would have been better off if they had embraced these projects or at the very least let them be. Look at companies such as Valve, who support fanmade work, as should Square since most of their fanbase is made up of FF7/CT zealots (no pun intended).

But on the other hand, maybe would-be hackers and the like should be a little more hush-hush with their projects and just release them whenever they can, as a surprise of sorts. Sure, they may not get the motivation from whatever hype they could cause by telling the world about their latest projects, but at least they would be able to quietly release their work and after that...well whatever happens happens.

I'm sure some other poster(s) have basically said what I just did, but yeah, I'm not gonna go through 48 pages to find out.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 26, 2009, 09:58:12 am »
I'm sure some other poster(s) have basically said what I just did, but yeah, I'm not gonna go through 48 pages to find out.

If you did I'm sure after the first page it would all sound very familiar... and each of the other 47 pages would probably feel like deja vu too.

If you plan to stick around, though, welcome.  :shock: We'll try not to scare you.

Uninventive Username

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 26, 2009, 10:03:17 am »
Yeah I read about 4 pages and it was starting to go in circles, as do most arguments of this nature.

And thank you for the welcome, I will probably be posting here from time to time, mainly volunteering to help out with projects/voice stuff and possibly posting some work of my own.

ugh, the site logged me out, forgot to change the time limit >_>

Unclever title

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 26, 2009, 02:02:59 pm »
Woah... This is weird... another person with a username selected for I can only assume the same reason as why I chose mine.

I feel like I've met an alternate universe version of an internet representation of me... either that of Norstein Bekkler is up to his usual tricks.

Or perhaps I am you, from the future... or something.

Anyway, glad to see we both like the Chrono series.

And welcome, strange doppelganger, enjoy the compendium.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:04:42 pm by Unclever title »

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2009, 03:10:49 pm »

If you did I'm sure after the first page it would all sound very familiar... and each of the other 47 pages would probably feel like deja vu too.

If you plan to stick around, though, welcome.  :shock: We'll try not to scare you.
Speak for yourself *Puts on baboon mask* RAWRLWLWLWLGAGJDF!!!

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 26, 2009, 03:15:55 pm »
I honestly do not understand why so many people are upset over the C&D deal. Look, it is Square's right to do so, as their copyrighted material was being used, albeit not for a profit. But that does not matter in the eyes of the law.

I honestly do not understand why so many people are upset over Rosa Parks being arrested. Look, it's Alabama's right to do so, as their whites-only buses were being violated, albeit not by someone dangerous. But that does not matter in the eyes of the law.

c wut i did thar?

Uninventive Username

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 26, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »
@Unclever title: As long as you stay in your own parallel universe, we won't run into any strange, inexplicable paradoxes ;D

@RySenkari: Comparing the use of copywrited material to civil rights? Are you really this stupid or is that supposed to be a joke?

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:34 pm »
Comparing the use of copywrited material to civil rights? Are you really this stupid or is that supposed to be a joke?

Considering that I believe the free use of derivative material to BE a civil right, I am dead serious, absolutely right, and not stupid.

Uninventive Username

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 26, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »
Considering that I believe the free use of derivative material to BE a civil right, I am dead serious, absolutely right, and not stupid.
"Absolutely right"? Pretty sure that is an opinion and not a fact, and I am discussing fact.
You saying that using copyrighted material is okay in your eyes, but guess what? Many people do not think like you do so that opinion (as well as any opinion) is invalid.

And equating using ROM data to the civil rights movement...nice touch. Let me guess, since I agree with what Square did (in practice, not personally to be clear) that must make me a racist or some sort of government supporting fatcat, dangling the Sword of Damocles on those poor, unheard masses of would-be programmers too?

Face it, the law is the law and your or my opinions will not, and can not single-handedly change this fact. Again, I think Square could've handled this in a completely different manner, but as I just said opinion does not stand up to fact. Simple.