Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 176971 times)

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #675 on: May 25, 2009, 01:29:06 am »
Ok, this is a couple days late for this video to have the same effect.  But for some reason it just seemed to encompass all the feelings I've seen from everyone on this board http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-n1Ro456nA&feature=related

If I made anyone feel said I apowogize....

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 25, 2009, 01:32:58 am »
Thank god for the Beatles. They have a song for every feeling.

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 25, 2009, 02:40:20 am »
http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?t=53436

My friend found this today.  I'm not sure if this is that big of an issue, but Somebody should definitley know about this.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:02 am »
But isn't that an early demo released long time ago, which can still be found via google?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:02:12 am by utunnels »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:57 am »
Yeah, it's an ancient demo. But thanks Mikisho, you did the right thing by reporting it.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #680 on: May 25, 2009, 05:20:38 am »
Yeah, it's an ancient demo. But thanks Mikisho, you did the right thing by reporting it.
Er, you sure? The dude looks like he's a fan of ours!

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 25, 2009, 08:12:24 am »
Thats actually the guy who uploaded the MediaFire link to the Beta that was taken down about 2 weeks ago.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 25, 2009, 01:18:55 pm »
That file Mikisho reported is just an ancient demo; it's simply not the right size.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 25, 2009, 03:14:53 pm »
That file Mikisho reported is just an ancient demo; it's simply not the right size.

I know that, but Nerd42 was the guy who made the MediaFire link with the Beta.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #684 on: May 25, 2009, 05:18:54 pm »
^ No he wasn't.

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 25, 2009, 06:13:26 pm »
Until today, I had never heard of Crimson Echoes, or at least I never paid attention to it.  Even if I had heard about it, I probably would not have played it.  I prefer to play games on consoles, and I'm not that much of a fan of fan games.

Now that I have read the announcement, though, I am utterly sickened by this development.  This feels like a punch in the gut.

I know there have been countless posts like this, but Chrono Compendium as a website/organization has been for the fans and allowed people to show appreciation for the games they love.  It isn't about promoting an individual or making money, and this humility is a rare trait on the Internet.

I can understand why Square Enix would do this, although I really wish that if Square were going to squash the project, that they would at least let it live in some form, even if they published Crimson Echoes in tact as a new game or something and gave you no credit at all.  As horrible as it would be, at least all that hard work would not have been for nothing.

What I can't understand if why they would shut this down, but let other people actually profit off their copyrighted work from other games without permission.  You all didn't ask for a dime.  You weren't looking for glory.  You spent years of your lives on a project out of love.  Meanwhile, others can be far less selfless and prop themselves up, and yet they run around scot free.

This makes me want to cry, and worry what other fan works will be targeted next.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 25, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »
There is something I'm quite curious about.

Let's say Square Enix never sent you a C&D, and you released the game as planned. Would they still be able to sue you afterwards? Or would it have been their own mistake for not sending out a C&D?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 25, 2009, 06:44:43 pm »
Looks like the C&D can apply retroactively, ex post facto. Even Prophet's Guile was allowed to circulate for over a year until it was C&D'd along with CE. Not sure what's up with that; maybe SE simply didn't know about Prophet's Guile despite the fact that it was advertised just as much on Youtube as Crimson Echoes ever was (in fact, minute for minute, Prophet's Guile got more viral advertisement than CE). Not that I want to fuel any conspiracy theories, but suffice it to say SE probably learned about the whole SNES modding shebang just before issuing the C&D. Could start a landslide, which is precisely what I worry about.

Nangbaby of Ogre Battle fame, I presume?

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 25, 2009, 06:48:36 pm »
Until today, I had never heard of Crimson Echoes, or at least I never paid attention to it.  Even if I had heard about it, I probably would not have played it.  I prefer to play games on consoles, and I'm not that much of a fan of fan games.

Now that I have read the announcement, though, I am utterly sickened by this development.  This feels like a punch in the gut.

I know there have been countless posts like this, but Chrono Compendium as a website/organization has been for the fans and allowed people to show appreciation for the games they love.  It isn't about promoting an individual or making money, and this humility is a rare trait on the Internet.

I can understand why Square Enix would do this, although I really wish that if Square were going to squash the project, that they would at least let it live in some form, even if they published Crimson Echoes in tact as a new game or something and gave you no credit at all.  As horrible as it would be, at least all that hard work would not have been for nothing.

What I can't understand if why they would shut this down, but let other people actually profit off their copyrighted work from other games without permission.  You all didn't ask for a dime.  You weren't looking for glory.  You spent years of your lives on a project out of love.  Meanwhile, others can be far less selfless and prop themselves up, and yet they run around scot free.

This makes me want to cry, and worry what other fan works will be targeted next.

Oh for the love of....  I don't care how long, or how literate it is, we do not need to hear the pleas of every single person who has heard of CE for the first time, and wishes to send their condolences.  Honestly, crying and letting everyone know your feelings will not help the situation. It will merely annoy some people (AKA me) or just not affect the situation.  You won't get any (Well, maybe some but only a little) sympathy from these kinda of posts.  Honestly, we should have a big sign on the main site saying no whining in the forums.  Because I am getting tired of it....  Anyway, that's the ranting from the newb for today.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:55 pm »
Oh for the love of....  I don't care how long, or how literate it is, we do not need to hear the pleas of every single person who has heard of CE for the first time, and wishes to send their condolences.  Honestly, crying and letting everyone know your feelings will not help the situation. It will merely annoy some people (AKA me) or just not affect the situation.  You won't get any (Well, maybe some but only a little) sympathy from these kinda of posts.  Honestly, we should have a big sign on the main site saying no whining in the forums.  Because I am getting tired of it....  Anyway, that's the ranting from the newb for today.

That's out of line, Mikisho. You should be more thoughtful in these instances.