Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 178534 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #645 on: May 24, 2009, 08:40:23 pm »
You're right, but didn't they really intend to sell it? I can't remember.

Nope, it was going to be a free download.

As for this alienat0r guy, has anyone else wondered if he's a registered member of the Compendium?  i keep wondering that myself...  not that it really matters.  the asshole did a very assholery thing - and for no reason, to boot.  for a fan of Chrono Trigger he destroyed everything.  douche.

I checked the member list, but there's no one called like that here. There is this guy called alienation but he registered in '07 and has zero posts.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 24, 2009, 08:41:47 pm »
Still, that's a lead worth checking out. Thanks for the tip Dark Serge. He could have just been hanging out watching since then or something.

EDIT: Not that I'll ever fully believe the denunciation email was actually real, but it would certainly bring a sense of closure to the community if we could figure out if there ever could have been a "mole" of sorts within the Compendium. It would make everyone more comfortable to know that isn't what happened.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:59:03 pm by FaustWolf »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #647 on: May 24, 2009, 08:51:43 pm »
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but what/who is alienat0r and what happened with it/him? I'm not sure what's going on or what the hubbub is about, would someone please fill me in? Sorry about that...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 24, 2009, 08:55:23 pm »
Alienat0r was apparently some attention-grabbing weirdo over at Kagero Studios. I suspect the email he claimed to have written was faked. Mostly because Neil has never, ever, ever, spelled his own name wrong in a reply, except there. I've made some typographical mistakes in my lifetime, but how many of us can claim to have misspelled our own names?

Hah. And I can't believe a real censored email would have blanked out the return address incompletely like that. Like the person would have just been asking for it. For what it's worth, the game of "hangman" some users tried their hand at turned out pretty inconclusive anyways. I guess we'll never really know.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:12:42 pm by FaustWolf »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 24, 2009, 09:23:52 pm »
Still, that's a lead worth checking out. Thanks for the tip Dark Serge. He could have just been hanging out watching since then or something.

I don't think so. True, that guy has zero posts, but also his last time online was just a mere minute and a half since he registered. If Alienat0r has been hanging out, it's more probable he did as one of the many guests.

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 24, 2009, 09:27:26 pm »
I'm one of the lost people as well; I suppose it's because I'm so new to the community. :) By the time I had joined, all signs of CE existing on here had been removed. But let me see if I have this straight: basically, there is some evidence that this "Alienat0r" person sent false/unreliable information to Square-Enix in order to have the game shut down prematurely? Namely the false assumptions that the creators claimed a copyright to CE and that you were going to make a profit from it?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:30:22 pm by Zelbess »

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 24, 2009, 09:28:52 pm »
I believe we have a mole in the Compendium. And he/she is registered and is one of our very own. Whomever the mole may be... speak up or suffer whenever we find out who you are.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 24, 2009, 09:33:03 pm »
if i ever find out who it is that person would be burnt at the stake as a heretic  :picardno  lol

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 24, 2009, 09:38:27 pm »
I believe we have a mole in the Compendium. And he/she is registered and is one of our very own. Whomever the mole may be... speak up or suffer whenever we find out who you are.

You think it was one of us?

If so, then it was a mistake registering, as registering makes him/her easier to track.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 24, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »
thats true IP's and such on some level but theres not much else to do somtimes its not very accurate at all but this is for another topic back to the thing at hand x.x

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 24, 2009, 09:55:27 pm »
If so, then it was a mistake registering, as registering makes him/her easier to track.
We still don't have too much info to go on, to be truthful. There's over 3000 Compendium members, and that's a lot to check through. Like a needle in a haystack. I did check out the profile of "alienation" Acacia Sgt, and you're right. So that's a dead end unfortunately.

In any case, the conspiracy theories will do no good other than to spread paranoia, so I'd ask that they just stop, as Lord J has said previously. SE made the C&D decision regardless of how they discovered CE, and how long they've been following it.

EDIT: Zelbess, that's pretty much it.

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 24, 2009, 10:17:20 pm »
Just because Alienat0r isnt a registered member doesnt mean he cant view the forums. Why would he need to register if all he was doing was snooping around to see what progress has been made. I lurked around here for about 4 months before I made a profile.

odekam

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 24, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »
Just because Alienat0r isnt a registered member doesnt mean he cant view the forums. Why would he need to register if all he was doing was snooping around to see what progress has been made. I lurked around here for about 4 months before I made a profile.

Lol. For me, I lurked around here for about 2 years or something.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 24, 2009, 10:39:20 pm »
God, I must have lurked 4 years before registering in 2007. Yeah, sounds about right, since I think the Compendium started around 2003.

I've personally suspected that Alienat0r was a user once known to Chrono Crisis and the Compendium as D R E A M, but the Compendium banned him long ago. If I'm right, hopefully nothing to worry about. Not sure if bans prevent the banned IPs from viewing as guests, through, hmm...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 24, 2009, 10:49:43 pm »
I lurked until after Prophet's Guile came out.  I had downloaded it and registered in order to ask a "how to" question, but once I registered I was too afraid to be "the noob" who only registered to ask said question.  So I just dove in and tried to become a productive member, instead, and I figured out how to work a Lunar patch on a Mac all by myself.  Now here I am a year a half later!

Gosh, I love this place!

f u dream