Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 178348 times)

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #615 on: May 24, 2009, 02:55:52 pm »
^*ahem* since my question in my last post ;).  Also, thanks for the update Faust, I'm looking forward to it now ;).  Dammit, I can't think of anything else to post....   My posts must have substance I tell you!!!  SUUUBBBSSSTTTAAANNNCCCEEEEE!!!!! 

This post was approved by Mikisho. (lol, spam is fun xD...  How could you want to stop it?)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »
I agree with you on the need to not go haywire while we're awaiting news Eske, but on the other hand leaving the C&D news threads unlocked has generated surprisingly useful information on occasion. Maybe we'll lock these once there's a new update so as to funnel discussion of the situation into a single news thread. If you wish to direct discussion into something more useful in the meantime Eske, you may be interested in starting a thread specifically meant to evaluate the worth of fannish activity, or perhaps the legalities involved. Those are extremely worthy subjects at this point in time and I'd do so myself if I weren't hugely busy helping prep for the goodies.

I guess I view these threads as a funerary procession of sorts. By letting discussion flow freely and allowing new members to express their condolences even in seemingly random ways, we're all sort of slowly working through our grief.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 24, 2009, 03:08:20 pm »
I had this frustrated post to agree with Eske, then Faustwolf came in and was the gentleman he tends to be... Made me feel guilty and erase it all.

My condolences!

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 24, 2009, 03:23:34 pm »
You see?  That's the power of Faust.  He knew you were going to post that, so he decided to act intelligently by giving a smart answer to Eske, while stopping you....  We must all phear the power of faust....PHEAR HIM!!!!

odekam

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 24, 2009, 03:25:31 pm »

I guess I view these threads as a funerary procession of sorts. By letting discussion flow freely and allowing new members to express their condolences even in seemingly random ways, we're all sort of slowly working through our grief.

When you talk like that, I get the feeling that there's no real chance for us to play CE. :(

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 24, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »
Talking about "moving on", now that CE has been C&D'ed, Ark turned into an original game, and Crisis slow on progress for almost two years, anyone been thinking about starting a new project?

kattrali

• Sleuth of Time
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 24, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »
If they were, do you really think they'd announce it here and now? In the middle of a discussion about how fan games aren't permissible?

odekam

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 24, 2009, 03:36:39 pm »
That's right. I don't think we'll see a fangame so soon.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 24, 2009, 03:42:07 pm »
If they were, do you really think they'd announce it here and now? In the middle of a discussion about how fan games aren't permissible?

Well for a starter, we already know Square Enix got some facts mixed up, and secondly, fangame makers don't need to worry until they're at about 98% progress with their game.

kattrali

• Sleuth of Time
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 24, 2009, 03:49:07 pm »
fangame makers don't need to worry until they're at about 98% progress with their game.

Is that reason to not start? especially not with any announcements?

we already know Square Enix got some facts mixed up

more malice than a mix up, don't you think?

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #625 on: May 24, 2009, 04:09:26 pm »
Well for a starter, we already know Square Enix got some facts mixed up, and secondly, fangame makers don't need to worry until they're at about 98% progress with their game.
The precedent has been set; all SE needs to do is find out about the project, and then it will be terminated. And as far as 98% goes, I doubt they'd wait long, again.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 24, 2009, 04:50:45 pm »
I doubt that, I remember that alien guy saying he had sent Square Enix letters about Crisis but they never took action. Maybe they don't care as long as it's not a mod of one of their original games.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #627 on: May 24, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »
My mistake, when you mentioned "fangame" I immediately thought of a ROM hack. I suppose that if future fangames are made without using the actual ROM, there's a higher likelihood that they'll last...Like Chrono Crisis/Ark, or whatever they are now.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 24, 2009, 05:13:28 pm »
Keep in mind that Chrono Trigger: Resurrection was not a modification, but an original game engine. Modifying ROMs (especially SNES-era ones) was thought far safer than the original engine route until now.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 24, 2009, 05:17:11 pm »
You're right, but didn't they really intend to sell it? I can't remember.

In any case, I think we shouldn't really think about what Square Enix would do right now. Sure there's a risk of them throwing a C&D again but then again maybe they won't. But what's really important, is that the fans need something to look forward to. This entire thing with the CE C&D has caused a lot of commotion, and hasn't only attracted outside fans, but it has depressed the inside fanbase as well (us). Especially with Crisis nearly falling apart and Ark going original. There's nothing anymore, absolutely nothing.

Then again, it might be good to wait a while, until everything has calmed down more.