Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 178354 times)

HadesKane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • End of Time MUD
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #465 on: May 15, 2009, 07:47:08 pm »
There are currently about 9 other Final Fantasy or Square based MUDs (one is even called "The Unofficial Squaresoft MUD") listed on the main MUD listing site, so MUDs based on around Square IP isn't unheard of, and in fact, the first one I started developing on got started about 10 years ago.

There is a history of flying under the radar.

I guess my biggest dilemma though really comes from the concern that this move against CE is a show of a genuine "We don't want fan projects based on our games" whereas previous C&D from them seemed more of a concern over protecting revenue.  I understand them shutting down the CT Remake because that could cut into revenue in re-releasing the game, such as they did with Final Fantasy Chronicles and Chrono Trigger DS.  Something like CE has really no chance of cutting into revenue.  No one is going to choose to forgo playing CT in favor of a fan project... if anything, projects like CE simply prove that there still exists a significant market for future Chrono based games and helps keep interest in the series alive.

I genuinely believe fan projects have far more benefit than anything.  Afterall, if it weren't for the immense amount of FF7 based fan projects, fan fic, websites, etc. out there, I can't imagine they would have ever revisited that world for the many spin-offs they've made since.

Certainly, the names, characters, likenesses and all that is their property and it is ultimately their decision on who can and can't use them, but things like this seem like a slap in the face to the fans.

Ultimately, I don't want to feel like I'm doing something wrong, something I need to keep hidden, something that I feel a need to "fly under the radar."  Ideally, Square would understand and appreciate the immense amount of work and effort their fans are putting into keeping interest in their games alive, and let fan projects like this continue without a problem.

If there is a Chrono sequel on the horizon we don't know about, maybe I can understand why they would pull the plug on CE, but otherwise, this just seems like an example of a big corporation picking on the people that helped them become a big corporation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:48:51 pm by HadesKane »

pokeseeker

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 15, 2009, 11:37:51 pm »
Do you think sending this to http://www.gamepolitics.com/ is a good idea?

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 15, 2009, 11:38:32 pm »
I didn't know Square's lawyers were in Finding Nemo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNiR5ZTb_MA&feature=related

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 15, 2009, 11:49:40 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion pokeseeker, I've added that a list of sites that might be interested.

pokeseeker

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 16, 2009, 12:04:10 am »
No problem! If you do send an e-mail to Gamepolitics, I strongly recommend that you link to the C&D, so that they can take a good look at it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 16, 2009, 12:08:35 am »
Certainly. I'm hoping we'll have even more than that to link to by the time we potentially start contacting game news sites.

Also, if people want to help out, be on the lookout for news sites that paid attention to the C&Ds received by Chrono Trigger Resurrection and Chrono Trigger Remake Project. Those would be some of the best candidates I imagine.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2009, 02:36:32 am »
Siiiiiigh.....

Memories....

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2009, 02:41:54 am »
Given that your project sounds like it won't be immediately recognizable in name or in appearance, sounds like you'd be fine releasing, then doing a bit of viral advertisement on Youtube. However, Square Enix probably wouldn't take a second look at any fan project until fruition and release became a surefire thing.

EDIT: Although maybe I'm wrong on that, because Chrono Trigger Remake didn't have any more complete than just a few proof-of-concept videos. It's really hard to determine.

My guess, is they go after projects that show the most promise.  I'm guessing CT:R probably had some pretty convincing Proof of Concept videos.  Where as this kind of laid low for a while, and Square thought it would peeter out, when suddenly you have a release date set.

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2009, 02:54:48 am »
*Double Post GASP*

It ain't much, and not really a gaming site, but I felt the need to help someway so.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.php?customize&gid=82051474651#/group.php?gid=82051474651

I died a little inside using Facebook -.-

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 16, 2009, 02:59:22 am »
Oh noez, not Facebook!? I wonder if the nefarious Twitter will also come into use for the cause?

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 16, 2009, 03:03:14 am »
Oh noez, not Facebook!? I wonder if the nefarious Twitter will also come into use for the cause?

SHHHHHHHHHH... Don't say that out loud... THEY might hear you....

thesnake383

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • thesnake383's all-purpose request channel!
« Reply #476 on: May 17, 2009, 12:36:38 am »
FW here: Post edited. Sorry to do this guys.

thsnake383, you were well within your free speech rights here, but we're covering for this person on the offchance that it's true.
--FW

Ditto :) Sorry!

--JP
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:46:31 am by Agent 12 »

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 17, 2009, 12:39:27 am »

RySenkari, you were well within your free speech rights here, but we're covering for this person on the offchance that it's true.
--FW

--JP
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:47:07 am by Agent 12 »

thesnake383

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • thesnake383's all-purpose request channel!
« Reply #478 on: May 17, 2009, 12:50:46 am »

thsnake383, you were well within your free speech rights here, but we're covering for this person on the offchance that it's true.
--FW

--JP
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:47:45 am by Agent 12 »

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 17, 2009, 12:55:27 am »
Maybe he's just quoting someone? I hope that's the case... god, anything that'll help this game get released without further incident is good, but I'm not getting my hopes up THAT much.