Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 177094 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #435 on: May 14, 2009, 02:35:11 pm »
I replied there.   It looks like there's an email eric option?  I guess I'll email him now.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 14, 2009, 02:45:10 pm »
Yeah, let him know that it was a modification to the ROM, not the ROM itself (mods are distributed standalone and applied to the ROM). Literally hundreds of modifications have been released for SNES-era games in this manner.

Also invite him to link to the Compendium front page so readers can follow the story further, unless there's some reason we shouldn't do that.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 14, 2009, 03:52:28 pm »
We need Bill Lumbergh to talk to Squaresoft.

"Yeeeeeah, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and let Chrono Compendium release Crimson Echoes. And if you could get that done by May 31st, that'd be greeeeeeat."

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 14, 2009, 04:05:38 pm »
That artical makes it sound like A) It was a CT:DS hack B) that Crimson Echoes and the compendium were two separate groups.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 14, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »
Well, at least A. wasn't stated explicitly. CNET actually said the Compendium was going to release hacked ROMs, which was utterly untrue.

If SE wants to take down the previews, I'll pull out my lightsaber. Uhh, not sure what good it'll do, but I'll still pull it out.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #441 on: May 14, 2009, 04:37:15 pm »
That artical makes it sound like A) It was a CT:DS hack B) that Crimson Echoes and the compendium were two separate groups.
Eh, it sounded more like it was trying to compete with CT:DS, which certainly doesn't help out this cause. But yes, they acted as though Chrono Compendium was another fan project, which is just a misnomer.

Other sites aren't helping too much either: they attach pictures of CT:DS, for whatever reason, and don't clarify on how the hacks are actually released...but publicity is nice, I guess.

Shinkinrui

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 14, 2009, 05:20:00 pm »
The writer of the CNET article replied to his comments, but completely ignored the part about the fact that CE wouldn't have been released as a ROM  :picardno

Edit: It would be nice if he linked back to here so people could follow the story further, but the tone of his article and reply seem to indicate he considers the matter closed(i.e. there IS no more story to follow). Come to think of it, I can't decide if the CE team considers this matter closed. On one hand, we've got the CE page referring to the game in the past tense and team members not indicating any further efforts to get the hack out. On the other hand, we've got FaustWolf saying that they're pursuing all their options and as much effort as possible is being put into getting the story out(as if to drum up public sympathy). The former version of this story is the more front-facing one, so it kinda makes sense that the stories out there are framing this as the Chrono sequel that SE has ensured will never be. More and more members are letting go and accepting this. Is that what everyone should be doing? Because if it is, then what's the point in getting the story out? I've been under the assumption that the more visible the story is, the better the chances are that SE will see this more as a PR issue than a legal issue.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:48:41 pm by Shinkinrui »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 14, 2009, 06:43:16 pm »
It's because nobody expects a couple of people working on a fanmade mod to step into the courtroom with Square Enix. If they do decide to take this to court, the news will probably be even bigger.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #444 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:18 pm »
Oh shit, I just read that CNET article (and the writer's reply). That's big news, and although we might not all agree with what he said, it's damn good that he wrote the article. These writers are supposed to be from a semi-unbiased perspective, so that's pretty good. Hopefully he'll correct the portion regarding releasing ROM, but he's probably going to be from the stance of an empathetic, but necessarily supportive onlooker.

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »
Also FW, I've noticed you saying that the rom hack in question is merely a seperate mod, and if we see anything with a .smc extension we can consider it fake.  But technically, couldn't whoever is leaking it (If it happens to leak) just apply the patch onto a CT game himself and then distribute the modded rom?  This would in turn make .smc extensions entirely valid, would it not?

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 14, 2009, 08:12:41 pm »
From C&D: Director's Response (http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7420.msg161222.html#msg161222 ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q25-S7jzgs&fmt=18 -- Major crux comes in at like minute 9, but the beginning gives a nice backdrop.

And wow, I just watched the video fully, and its brilliant, completely fits with this issue.

The video is about User Generated Content. From the description:
http://www.ted.com Larry Lessig, the Nets most celebrated lawyer, cites John Philip Sousa, celestial copyrights and the "ASCAP cartel" in his argument for reviving our creative culture.

Larry Lessig... Think the Crimson Echoes team can get some support from him..? Maybe try to get him to help in court (if it ever gets that far... I really just want SE to come out and settle this *mano a mano* )

Oh, if there is ever a court case... I do hope there will be no money involved. I just want it to say: CE allowed be released as User-Generated-Content, a fanart of video games, ROM research be justified, and... well... That's all. No profit, just an agreement, officially stated by SE to back off and see where this will take them, you guys, and the community.

If established, this would lift a whole off the backs of modders everywhere. And this is why I want it to go that far, because copyright laws have not evolved for the digital future.

(As I remember, sharing is not illegal, but when it was sharing through the interwebs, the laws had to be revised once a person was able to pass freely without charges based on the old laws. Now, we get the issue with P2P.) But this is a matter of fan created content, derivative works that tribute to the original, not a carbon copy of any sorts.

And any update on how this is progressing? I love how you guys are taking this, heeding them, and trying to make them understand. Crimson Echoes team and Compendium has gained a lot of respect and admiration from me ;) !!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:27:54 pm by Happy-Dude »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 14, 2009, 08:20:02 pm »
Mikisho, that is technically correct. However, it would get the named parties into even hot water if it were spread that way, and feed the rumors that it would have been distributed as "a hacked ROM."

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:42 pm »
I know, I'm just saying, we can't completely rule out the possibility of it being a .smc file.  Because, while it is sad, there are ALOT of stupid people out there.  If you think about it, it might let them fly under the radar for a little bit too, because people would just dismiss it as a fake.  So yeah, I know it will never come officially from the compendium as a .smc file, but we should still be careful.

Enigma Outlaw

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Guru of Enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 14, 2009, 08:27:20 pm »
In regards to the guy who translated some Japanese Squaresoft games in the 90's and wound up getting invited over as opposed to burned at the stake I may be able to shed some light on that. When that happened the company as he said was still SS. However when they merged with Enix to become Square Enix it was actually Enix that became the parent company if I'm not mistaken. It's kinda how we now have Activision Blizzard and yet the parent company is Blizzard. Some of their titles are still made under the old Activision label for simply the fact that people know the name but for all intents and purposes Guitar Hero is made by Blizzard.

What does this mean? Simply this: with Enix in control of Square it's a different group of people you are dealing with. As a result they may not be as easygoing as the Squaresoft of old. Hence the C&D.